Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Manticore/Deathstrike kit, What do we think?
Old 23 May 2010, 22:35   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default New Manticore/Deathstrike kit, What do we think?

Ive just seen the new kit on GW.com and i think they look awesome, not quite what i was expecting but awesome none the less. i do think the little cupola that the driver sits in is going to be a bugger to paint and also the guy will get cremated when the missiles are fired.
Tactical genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2010, 23:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: New Manticore/Deathstrike kit, What do we think?

I love the new manticore I hated the old design sticking a few rockets onto a hydra turret looked lackluster and cheap, having them on missile rack makes it look more purpose built. I have to say though, I am slightly disappointed with the the deathstrike missile the thing about it in the fluff was that it was supposed to by a stereotypical 40K weapon really over sized, like the codex depiction of the missile has it being almost twice the length of the launcher, one thing it has going for it are the addition of the ramjets on the sides of the missile those look cool.

Also yes if the driver was stupid enough to launch the missiles with the hatch open like in the pictures on the website, he probably would get burned by the heat
Old 23 May 2010, 23:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

They're not bad, I rather like the manticore...except for one little thing which pisses me off for some reason: the searchlight mounted on the bottom of the tank.

I'm usually one of the first ones to stick up for GW whenever someone criticizes the tank designs for not being "realistic" or "feasible" enough, but seriously, who in the **** puts a searchlight on the bottom of the tank? All it would take is one piece of debris to shatter the damn thing and make it useless, if you can even use it to begin with, since I imagine it can only ever point straight forward because if you move it at all the light will just hit the tank chassis and not illuminate very much at all. Just seems pointless and stupid.

If I'm wrong and this actually makes perfect sense then please let me know, but...gah.

Also, I thought the deathstrike missile would be bigger.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2010, 23:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I actually didn't notice that until you pointed it out Sid, it's a total eyesore and pointless it's not like it would spot much being mounted so low it's the same as having a massive head lamp on a car. I'd love to know what genius came up with that idea, at least you have the option of putting the smoke launchers there instead. Also it's not like it needs a search light it has a radar dish you could always say the radar has the same effect as a search light and the enemy units can fire back as normal because the light from the missiles rocket boosters gives away it's position.
Old 24 May 2010, 01:28   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I like the old Forge World ones. The Forge World and Games Workshop Manticores both look like old Soviet AFVs. As for the Deathstrike it does seem... inadequate. I'm sure we'll see plenty several "enhanced" missiles in the future.
Old 24 May 2010, 06:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

Quote:
I'm sure we'll see plenty several "enhanced" missiles in the future.
Standard Blue Peter recipe, Toilet Roll tube, Yoghurt Pot and some Sticky Backed Plastic.

Im more concerned with how its going to be to play against. Especially in lower point games where 1 or 2 of them is a significant amount of firepower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2010, 08:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I do love that Manticore, but I agree that the Deathstrike is far too small. I'll probably just use that missle for some type of conversion later on anyways.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2010, 08:59   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

For some odd reason, I feel like buying several of those kits and then using all those missiles and several drop pods, and make a Scud Storm building (GLA's superweapon in C&C general).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2010, 09:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to DarkKnightCuron Send a message via MSN to DarkKnightCuron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis_Vyper
For some odd reason, I feel like buying several of those kits and then using all those missiles and several drop pods, and make a Scud Storm building (GLA's superweapon in C&C general).
A friend of mine is thinking about doing the same, except its a missile silo station, and he'll be using it as a terrain piece/objective in upcoming Apocalypse Games.
Old 24 May 2010, 09:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Quote:
I'm sure we'll see plenty several "enhanced" missiles in the future.
Standard Blue Peter recipe, Toilet Roll tube, Yoghurt Pot and some Sticky Backed Plastic.
Ha I thought I was the only one who remembered that stuff, I think I have some old rocket shaped fairy washing up liquid bottles in my shed, now those would make a proper looking deathstrike missile