Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Elysian Drop Troops: the whipping boy of the Imperial Guard?
Old 23 May 2010, 14:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Elysian Drop Troops: the whipping boy of the Imperial Guard?

WARNING: This has some spoilers for IA8 so if you enjoy reading the fluff in IA books then stop here.

I got IA8 in the mail yesterday & if you don't know yet it heralds the return of the Drop Troop army of Imperial Guard. The star of these lists are the Elysians & I noticed something about the noticeable regiments: They almost all get beaten, horribly. They list the 1st, 181st, 158th, 23rd & 99th Regiments. Here's what they have for their descriptions:

1st: on stand by for emerging threats
181st: deployed on pre-emptive strike against Waaaaaagh! Garaghak. They get annihilated
158th: attempt to defend St Josmane's Hope during the 13th Black Crusade, end up destroying St Josmane's Hope to keep it out of Chaos' hands
23rd: attempt to curb Tau expansion on Taros. There were no survivors
99th: deployed against Hive Fleet Kraken. Reduced to a single company after the campaign. As a result they're just inducted into the service of the Ordos Xenos where their likely demise remains classified

So 4 out of 5 Regiments are pretty much curb stomped except the 1st, which isn't even DEPLOYED. So arguably they're just in queue to be owned. I used to love the scant fluff I could get a hold of. More independant minded than other Guard regiments. Economically powerful homeworld so able to equip foundings with some of the best equipment. Plus ascetically Elysian Drop Troops are my favorite Guard army & if it weren't for the absorbent price tag I'd be running them instead of Cadians but they seem to be the Lamenters of the Guard, perpetually unlucky. In fact the only story I remember from the current codex had a depleted regiment merged with not even another Elysian regiment but a Catachan one. I'm sure there's more but that's the only one I remember so it seems the buttmonkey status isn't limited to Forge World materials.

Acts of Faith - I choose to ignore your reality and substitute my own...for the Emperor.

Glory for the first man to die! CHARGE!
trex238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2010, 14:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Elysian Drop Troops: the whipping boy of the Imperial Guard?

Think of how many Cadian regiments get mauled by Chaos, or how many Krieg regiments are destroyed during Vraks. Besides which, there are plenty more Elysian regiments than are presented in that little box before the list.
Old 23 May 2010, 14:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

The Imperial Guard is the whipping boy of the Imperial Guard. They send anything and everything to die.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2010, 15:06   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Destroyed Regiments are later re-founded at their homeworld and carry on the traditions and culture of the regiment. Some depleted regiments are sent back to their homeworld to help re-found their regiment as well as act as the officer cadre.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2010, 15:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
The Imperial Guard is the whipping boy of the Imperial Guard. They send anything and everything to die.
I am so glad I was only drinking water right now.

Fair point guys but don't forget, both Cadians & Krieg win on their campaigns. especially in their own material. I admit I hadn't even considered how much Krieg lost on Vraks, partially because well they use trench warfare & partially cause I'm not a big Krieg fan but they did still win that campaign.

Ok one thing I'll let go is the 181st getting schooled as it seems IA8 is the first of a story arc like Vraks but the other ones still stand. Imperial Guard is made to die in droves but they occasionally win while doing so.

It'd be one thing if they got mauled, decimated or even annihilated but accomplished their missions but all of the listed above has them losing. In their own listing. That's almost taboo for GW material, though they seem to be letting up on that in 5th ed (the Space Wolf codex telling about a Wolf Lord getting his company wiped out after hitting on an eldar woman while drunk comes to mind).

Acts of Faith - I choose to ignore your reality and substitute my own...for the Emperor.

Old 23 May 2010, 15:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

There is no such thing as losing to the IG, it's just a lull between when the first guys died and the next wave arrives.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2010, 20:32   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Being a paratrooper isn't really considered a high survivability gig, even by any armed forces' standards. You're surprised that the Imperial Guard's paratroopers tend to die horribly?
Old 24 May 2010, 00:44   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I don't think he's arguing that Elysians shouldn't die, sounds more like wondering why don't they have victory fluff.
Old 24 May 2010, 00:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'd be inclined to agree with Kane on this one normally we only hear of the successes of the other regiments maybe a defeat thrown in here and there the Elysians just seem to be depicted as a bunch of losers you know the one guy on the superhero team who always gets his ass kicked despite the fluff saying that they are the premier force when it comes to rapid bridge head insertion behind enemy lines. It could be a case that logistics is what does them in typically paratroopers form the initial part of an assault ahead of the main force. I believe in Taros campaign they were supposed to be supported by a Tallaran regiment which in the end was never deployed pretty much leaving them stranded on their own out manned and out gunned
Old 24 May 2010, 03:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thank you. That's exactly what I mean. If you have a brief history on an army why list all the failures & no victories? No codex does that. Even if the previous armies had defeats its not hard to come up with some random regiment made up on the spot & claim they won this battle or instrumental in this war etc. The Elysians don't & this is why I think they're the whipping boy of the Guard.