Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Knight Commander Pask and the Leman Russ Punisher
Old 06 May 2010, 01:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Knight Commander Pask and the Leman Russ Punisher

I had the idea that I wanted to eventually include knight commander Pask in my army while commanding a leman russ punisher. Kitted out with sponson heavy bolters and a heavy stubber this beast can put out 32 S5 shots within 24 inches all hitting on 3+. Not only that but I get +1 to my penetration rolls against vehicles, thus mincing armor 10/11, and can possibly glance like hell against armor 12. It'll make a mockery of monstrous creatures with reroll to wound. I do have some questions though.

First question is, am I doing the crack shot rule right for vehicles? Does it basically make all my S5 weapons turn into S6 against vehicles? Please refer to the IG book, don't wanna post rules.

The other question is, is taking Pask in a punisher even legal? I ask this because though I haven't found a FaQ or anything else on the web saying I can't, my friend told me Pask wasn't allowed to be in anything but a Leman Russ Battle Tank.

I really hope this is legal because it just sounds super fun to throw 32 dice from a single tank firing, the anti infantry capabilities sound stupendous.
Ekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2010, 02:20   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Knight Commander Pask and the Leman Russ Punisher

Pask can drive any tank under the Leman Russ entry ("a single model in a Leman Russ squadron"), which includes Punishers. However, the Crack Shot rule adds +1 to the roll on the damage table, not the weapon strength.
corsairmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2010, 02:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

No, it's the strength.
Old 06 May 2010, 02:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman

A tad expensive compared to the standard LMBT, but that is a really good idea! I've only ever seen Pask in Vanquishers. This definitely has potential.
Old 06 May 2010, 03:38   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I have a friend who frequently fields this unit and swears by it. He doesn't use it for tank ripping like you're planning though. He pretty much just targets infantry and MCs.

I don't play IG, so I can't say much more than that.
Zeeblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2010, 04:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
No, it's the strength.

No it's the damage roll. Check the book again.

I honestly prefer the use of the template shots and using prassk for str 8 weapons and up personally.

IMO I think prassk is more geared for anti-tank than anti-horde due to the crack shot ability. With a melta hit that's +2 on the chart which means you're atleast getting a weapon destroyed and on a 3 or higher taking out the vehicle with a pen and negating a glance into a normal shot.
Old 06 May 2010, 04:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicop76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
No, it's the strength.

No it's the damage roll. Check the book again.
An Armour Penetration roll is when you roll a d6, add the Strength of the weapon firing, add any other modifiers, and attempt to equal or beat the armour of the vehicle you are firing at. See page 60 of the rulebook for further details on this.

For all intents and purposes, a Leman Russ with Pask aboard it effectively counts all of its weapons as being 1 point of Strength higher against vehicles, as long as it remained stationary that turn. He does NOT grant a bonus to the damage chart roll like, for example, an AP 1 weapon does.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2010, 04:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Thespian is right. Please note the special rule is only used for when firing against vehicles or monstrous creatures, and he cannot move in the movement phase. Check page 58 of the Codex, if you need to.
Old 06 May 2010, 04:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftercresent
Thespian is right. Please note the special rule is only used for when firing against vehicles or monstrous creatures, and he cannot move in the movement phase. Check page 58 of the Codex, if you need to.
So a lascannon is str 10 against vehicles.
It's str 9 against MC's but you get a re-roll.
You get the two effects as long as you don't move.

Still better with auto-cannon and higher weapons. That means the auto-cannon is str 8 shots with him.
Old 06 May 2010, 04:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Correct.

Do note, however, that it is a bonus to the armour penetration dice - this means that the bonus will be negated by a Monolith's Living Metal and a Wave Serpent's Energy Field (there may also be other things I cannot recall right now). Also, since it's not a Strength modifier, against vehicles at least, it means that you will even gain the benefit when firing a Demolisher Cannon, giving you a total of 2d6 (pick highest) + 11 against vehicles when firing that.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote