Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Using DKOK Centaurs as Chimeras
Old 03 May 2010, 15:19   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Using DKOK Centaurs as Chimeras

Iíve been building up a Death Korps of Krieg army lately, and it just occurred to me that using Centaurs as Chimeras might be problematic, especially for use in tournaments. The main issue that I can see is the size difference between the two; the Centaur is about 90 mm long (including the blades mounted on the front) and 58 mm wide, whereas the Chimera is 115 mm long and 78 mm wide. Would I be allowed to use the Centaur as a Chimera in tournaments, or should I just get the actual Chimera models Ė even though Iíd much rather have the Centaurs?

This is a link to a picture I found that compares the Chimera and Centaur to one another.
http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/60...0Progress.html
Ashanarubabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2010, 17:36   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Using DKOK Centaurs as Chimeras

I don't see why not but I'm not the one organizing the tournament. You may want to look through their rules on "Count-As" or best yet, get confirmation from one of the Tournament Organizers. Maybe something in Black & White (Print-Out of E-mail from the Organizer) so if you encounter a problem at the tournament, you may show the papers that allow you to use the Centaur as a Chimera.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2010, 02:59   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

That sounds like a good idea, I'll be sure to do that for the local tournaments. How about GW sponsored tournaments? Would they be more strict about this type of thing?
Old 04 May 2010, 03:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman

I think you should be just fine- seeing as how that's what that army uses. The only issue I can see people bringing up is the fact that it is easier to hide the centaur. I'd allow it, and I'm sure most tournament organizers would as well.

As far as a grand tournament would go, I'm not so sure. In this case, I can see them giving it to you, but I can also see why they would dissallow it. Probably a case-by-case basis. If your whole army is Death Korps then I would think you should be fine, even at something like 'ard boyz.
Old 04 May 2010, 04:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I donno, it's quite a bit smaller and the model lacks some of the WYSIWYG options without conversion work. You'd be better off using it as a centaur, and using chimeras as Chimeras to avoid any potential troubles anyway. I am often of the train of thought that if you need to ask if it's allowed, then don't do it. Easier that way, and wont get you into any potential trouble.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2010, 22:44   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The thing is, I really don't want to give up on the Centaurs as I love the models and they fit in so well theme-wise with what I'm doing with my dkok army. I suppose I could convert them to have the right options to make the Centaurs WYSIWYG since I have little to no trouble working with resin.

I think what I may do is go ahead and get the Centaurs and later get some Chimeras to use in tournaments with more strict rules. It'll cost me more money but I'll be happier for it.
Old 04 May 2010, 23:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman

Just stick some heavy flamers and multilasers on them. You should have plenty if you've ever bought vehicles or sentinels.
Old 04 May 2010, 23:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

They have a smaller footprint, making them easier to hide from fire. As such, fielding them as Chimeras is a form of cheating, unfortunate as it is.

If you like them so much, don't be afraid to buy them. If money is an object, you can make a similar number of Chimeras using Papercraft patterns for about $20 of printer-safe cardstock.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2010, 02:52   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
They have a smaller footprint, making them easier to hide from fire. As such, fielding them as Chimeras is a form of cheating, unfortunate as it is.

If you like them so much, don't be afraid to buy them. If money is an object, you can make a similar number of Chimeras using Papercraft patterns for about $20 of printer-safe cardstock.
That was one of my main concerns about using Centaurs as Chimeras - the legality of using a vehicle with a smaller size as another vehicle larger than it. I am pretty sure that the people at my LGS would let me use them at least in friendly games though, and I'm far more interested in those than I am in participating in tournaments. I suppose I could use their Forgeworld rules as well then.

The idea of using Papercraft patterns is interesting, but I don't think I'll be going that route; I'm the sort who likes to field actual models in his army, doing otherwise bothers me to no end.

Iíve decided to go ahead and get the Centaurs and buy the actual Chimeras later on. As I said earlier, theme-wise, they perfectly fit what I want to do with my army. That, and I donít think anyone I usually play against would have a problem with them. Thanks for all your help, you've given me some things to consider and helped me decide what to do about this matter.
Old 05 May 2010, 03:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Using a vehicle of a different size at all changes the gameplay of the vehicle. The footprint effects not only LoS but room for deployment and it's ultimately a double edged sword. Just ask your tournament before you play - I personally wouldn't have a problem with the counts-as.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote