Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ordnance Battery Choice
View Poll Results: Which other 2 artillary pieces should i take?
Basilisk 26 44.83%
Medusa 12 20.69%
Collussus 12 20.69%
Griffon 8 13.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20 Apr 2010, 10:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Ordnance Battery Choice

I am Taking an ordnance battery in my imperial guard army. So far I have a Basilisk, but i am unsure which other two guns to take.
This vote will run for two weeks, which is when i'll probably buy the next tank.
---------------------------------------------------------
The hive fleet always needs Biomass, please feed some to the below creatures.
Vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2010, 11:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia
Default Re: Ordnance Battery Choice

I would put all the similar artillary in the same squad - so i voted for basilisk. Why? well would you put a punisher, eradicator and a vanquisher in the same squad?

Lord Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2010, 14:00   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I would also say, it is about how large the board, I play with Tau and sometimes IG their long range railguns don't work when the enemy only is 4 feet away, too close, so I guess in that case, no basilisk, but then again, it is your decision.
And I agree with Zambia, take one kind of artillery in each unit, but remember not too much artillery, or ells you are going to be killed.
Old 20 Apr 2010, 15:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman

If you're taking a battery, then ya, take all the same artillery piece. Bassies are nice for complimenting each other's blind spots, but for a battery I would definitely go Medusas.

Are you planning on getting tanks, or will these 3 artillery pieces be all your heavy support?
Old 20 Apr 2010, 16:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

For my heavy support i have a leman russ squadron; Leman Russ and 2 punishers. It is mixed, so i have uber anti infantry, but some anti tank, if it becomes needed.
The artillary battery, to provide long range fire and basilisks can be more effective at destroying tanks than russes are.
The third slot is going to be saved for a death strike, which if used properly or if you get very lucky on your second turn, can turn a game or even win it for you.
Old 20 Apr 2010, 17:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I have two school of thoughts for this.

You intend on playing it fluffy, go ahead with the Leman Russ and Punishers, it's pretty to me.

You intend on winning so much that you'll risk the fluff, always take the same kind of stuff. Having 2 tanks that's anti-infantry won't help against a tank, and a Battle Cannon Russ isn't gonna help against tanks either, despite having S8, you'll risking alot, what happens if one of them was shaken?

That aside, 3 Russ with Battle Cannon is more dangerous. S8 AP3 is the only way to kill your Marines. Sure you can overload your saves with your Punishers, but with BS3 and 20 shots, you're not gonna do it as well as Orks do or FRFSRF.

Also, goodluck with Deathstrike, I would love to see it being used.

Continue on with the artillery topic, I prefer Colossus and Medusa, they can do very well in your average table size, and they don't have blind spots like Basilisks due to minimal range needed.

+1 -AC
Old 20 Apr 2010, 20:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobb
I have two school of thoughts for this.

You intend on playing it fluffy, go ahead with the Leman Russ and Punishers, it's pretty to me.

You intend on winning so much that you'll risk the fluff, always take the same kind of stuff. Having 2 tanks that's anti-infantry won't help against a tank, and a Battle Cannon Russ isn't gonna help against tanks either, despite having S8, you'll risking alot, what happens if one of them was shaken?

That aside, 3 Russ with Battle Cannon is more dangerous. S8 AP3 is the only way to kill your Marines. Sure you can overload your saves with your Punishers, but with BS3 and 20 shots, you're not gonna do it as well as Orks do or FRFSRF.
I didn't insist on playing it fluffy. I still only have 1 punisher and one standard, so i could always by a second russ and possibly make it a vanquisher for the extra anti tank fire power.

Quote:

Continue on with the artillery topic, I prefer Colossus and Medusa, they can do very well in your average table size, and they don't have blind spots like Basilisks due to minimal range needed.
I might by a couple of conversion kits from FW, most likely 2 medusas.
Do you reckon i should take bastion breacher shells or not?
Also Basilisks can direct fire as they are ordnance barrage.
Old 20 Apr 2010, 20:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

For only 5 points and hits harder, and it gives you an option to choose between the ammo, why not? They're good.
Old 21 Apr 2010, 03:00   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
For only 5 points and hits harder, and it gives you an option to choose between the ammo, why not? They're good.
You don't get to choose between the ammo, the bastion breachers replace the normal ammunition. Personally, I'd stick with the normal loadout, as the BB shells are too specialized against vehicles and are more susceptible to scatter.
Tetrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2010, 22:25   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I personally would go for basilisk for a number of reasons. In terms of fluff I doubt they would be deploying mixed artillery batteries like that, it seems a little weird (more likely thy would have an artillery company with several dedicated batteries of different pieces). In terms of usefulness having to mix weapons that are effective against different targets seems somewhat wasteful. Finally basilisks are in my opinion the most well rounded of the choices. Strong enough to have a decent chance at cracking a tank, large template with good enough AP to take a good chunk out of infantry, a reasonable price for what you get and enough range to ensure you are ALWAYS going to be able to shoot at your targets.

PLEASE NOTE: the minimum range is for indirect fire. as long as you can draw line of sight basilisks can fire directly at enemies inside their minimum range (however exposing your expensive AV12 artillery piece to enemy fire isnt always the best idea). Interestingly enough most of the other artillery pieces, if I recall, are incapable for firing directly (given that most are mortars or howitzers of various make) so when they state a minimum range most others are bound to it. Also, given that basilisks can fire directly, it means they have the option to still move combat speed and fire their main gun (assuming they end up being able to draw line of sight). One of the problems I have with them is that they are a really awkward (in my opinion) points cost, such that the decision on whether to give them camo-netting is a rather tough one.