Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Technological advancement in the 41st milennium
Old 18 Apr 2010, 10:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Technological advancement in the 41st milennium

Just curious really, why do we not see the imperium advancing in it's tech? I understand the logistical nightmare of equipping the whole of the imperium's armed forces with new kit, but you'd think that at least some squads would have better tech, such as red-dot sights &/or different kinds of vision goggles (night, thermal etc).
Old 18 Apr 2010, 11:02   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Technological advancement in the 41st milennium

Storm troopers have better tech, although i believe the main reason is that the imperium is terrified of technology. they spend hundreds of years testing everything, they don't trust it.
Tactical genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2010, 16:50   #3 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Advancement in Technology is the sole territory of the Adeptus Mechanicus. They believed that they're the only one who can comprehend any kind of technology and the "sub-humans" are unwashed, dirty meat-bag barbarians who can't figure out how to replace a light bulb. And the average (I'm using this term very, very loosely) Imperial citizen is superstitious and not very educated. Yes, they can read and write but that's about it. You have to dedicate and pledge your soul and loyalty to an organization to even have a glimpse at the knowledge that they hold. Religion is another thing. They're like the Catholic Church of old which pretty much want the people to remain ignorant so they could be controlled. And I suppose there's a good reason for this e.g. Daemons and Chaos.

And yes, some Imperial Guard regiments are equipped with red-dot laser sights, sniper scopes, re-breathers, night-vision goggles, carapace armors, auspexs, improved las-weapon ammunition etc. It's not like the Imperium is that low on the technological aspect. It's just that most of the worlds aren't able to equip their regiments as so. You have to remember that worlds have tithe to pay and they normally send out millions of Guardsmen to meet their tithe. And equipping those millions of Guards ain't cheap. They need their basics which includes Flak Armor, Lasgun, Combat Knife, Grenades, First-Aid Kit, Camping Gear, Shovel etc. They don't look too expensive but when you need to equip million of Guardsmen, the cost can go up very fast. If the world was blessed with the large presence of the Adeptus Mechanicus e.g. Fortis Binary and/or the world is prosperous in trade and/or resources e.g. Elysia and/or the world boasts nobles e.g. Volpone, they're more likely to equipped their regiments much better.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2010, 12:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Also all the Techpriests hold designs, ect. very jealously and so if a manufactorium world is over run, then the designs and ability to make certain vehicles and weapons are lost, as happened to the leman russ vanquisher.
---------------------------------------------------------
The hive fleet always needs Biomass, please feed some to the below creatures.
---------------------------------------------------------
Vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2010, 15:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyper
as happened to the leman russ vanquisher.
The Vanquisher is still actually being produced, it was just Gryphonne and Tigirus that were overrun. According to IAvol1, new Vanquisher designs are being created on other Forge Worlds, as we can see with the not-so-new Vanquisher pattern than came out with the Death Korps.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2010, 18:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
And yes, some Imperial Guard regiments are equipped with red-dot laser sights
You mean lasguns, right? :P

Imperial Technology is advanced, but also in the same way, kind of medieval. They are advanced in our eyes, but they have stunted the growth of advancement. Only by finding STC patterns (likely to happen once in a few thousand years) will they advance any further.
Old 22 Apr 2010, 21:58   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

The problem is entirely ideological. Humans in 40k are no less intelligent than humans today. But their approach to science and technology was warped by the results of catastrophic wars that brought about the end of humanity's technological peak.

The Adeptus Mechanicus is the only body within the Imperium capable of working with advanced technology. They are scholars and researchers, but they are not exactly scientists. To the AdMech, all information is sacred and pre-existing. They view their role as something akin to archeologists, working to discover lost information and technology. They are not really capable of taking scientific and engineering principles and using them to produce something new. They would, in point of fact, view that approach as heresy. They are a religious order, and by understanding the technology that already exists, they come closer to understanding their Machine God. Hypothesis-driven research and development would be required to spur advancement in basic technology, but they avoid it in most cases.

What this means is that the Imperium really only advances when the AdMech are able to uncover ancient STCs that allow them to build systems that had been lost. There are occasionally exceptions to this, but they are minor. Usually just swapping one weapon out for another on a vehicle that was designed with that sort of modularity in mind.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2010, 14:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I do rather suspect that even the Admech lacks any true understanding of the finer points of its technology. Instead I think their working knowledge is based off of rules of thumb and trade secretes. The precedence of this is medieval stone masons who crafted fine cathedrals without any understanding of physics or material sciences, they founded guilds to promote, pass on and jealously protect these rules and they still exist today.
This is actually not no a idea idea.
Quote:
my brain went all 'splodey from reading that
"Help! I think his brain is leaking!"
Blightedmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2010, 14:38   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

A common theme in 40K that I have noticed is that Imperial Tech is not so much backward as incomplete. To use Battlefleet Gothic as an example, compare the Mechanicum fleet to the Imperial Fleet; both use the same ships, but the Mechanicum's vessels are just all-round better! Exactly how is randomly determined, but they can have more turrets, more shields, bigger guns, more accurate guns and so on and so forth. Clearly, then, Imperial Starships are capable of being kitted out to a higher standard than they are today, so why aren't they?

Well, the answer is probably a mix of archeotech, and religious dogma. Archeotech is Lost Technology; creations from another era that the Adeptus Mechanicus cannot recreate easily, if at all. Terminator Armour is one such example, and the high-end plasma gubbins favoured by Ryza probably count as one as well. In this case, the reason the Mechanicus' Lunar Class Cruisers have gear the Imperial ones do not is the Mechanicum will not let those specific "archeotech" vessels out of their grasp!

Religious Dogma is a problem best displayed using the Predator Annihilator. The Space Wolves developed this weapon out of desperation, requiring the anti-tank firepower of Lascannons, but the survivability of a tank. The Ad-Mechs were furious as the Space Wolves for this heretical modification, but were forced to admit it had worked very, very well. What followed was a thousand-year long series of tests, divinations, arguments and sacred readings of the Machines genetic structure, all of which cumulated in the discovery that, in fact, the "Annihilator" loadout was not only sanctioned by the Omnissiah, but was intended from the offset as a potential weapon load for the Predator.

So it was that, a thousand years after the Space Wolves invented it, the Predator Annihilator was declared part of the official Space Marine Armoury. The announcement would probably have been better received had most Chapters not already been using the Annihilator for the past nine hundred years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2010, 14:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

that and the fact that the imperium simply doesn't trust anyone anymore...ever...period.

for example PDF's don't have as good equipment as guardsmen because they aren't regarded as reliable or as loyal. Same as the better everything issued to the arbiters over the guard.
This is actually not no a idea idea.
Quote:
my brain went all 'splodey from reading that
"Help! I think his brain is leaking!"
Blightedmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote