Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Heavy bolter or multi laser/chimera ??
Old 16 Apr 2010, 23:51   #11 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Heavy bolter or multi laser/chimera ??

Autocannons are a possibility, provided you are running Armoured Battlegroup. Very cheap, too!
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2010, 00:20   #12 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

Or providing you have nice understanding opponants who dont mind the use of Forgeworld bits. :P

The Heavy Flamers are good if you wana kill some hordes. Add a squad of guys carrying flamers in the back and you can cause 30 odd wounds if your lucky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2010, 00:34   #13 (permalink)
Shas'El

With no ia material I would go muliti-lasers. Like it was said before bolters is a situational weapon where the lasers help out very nicely against armour. If a target have a cover save than you'll do more damage with the multi. Now against t3 models in the open heavy bolters is very nice.

The laser is a more pratical weapon. I really don't see any need to have a turrent mounted bolter. Also turrent mounted flamers is a bad ideal unless you could fire both weapons on the move or if you have a hull heavy bolter which isn't really a bad ideal.
Old 17 Apr 2010, 06:19   #14 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to DarkKnightCuron Send a message via MSN to DarkKnightCuron

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsairmarks
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfrikA
Multi-lasers always. They are just so much better against a wider verity of targets. The extra AP on the heavy-bolters are too situational. If only there was an option for auto cannons.
I wish, Autocannons make everything better. However, I think Space Marine players would be Aulma'd. We would get a transport for cheaper than a Predator that is nearly as effective shooting AND holds infantry, with lots of fire points.
I'll throw my vote in with Multi-Lasers as well, mostly as the S6 makes it extremely versatile (can actually penetrate Rhino as well as wound T4 models on a 2+).

As for Autocannons, having autocannon turrets on Chimeras would be a very big boon, but at high point levels (where people such as myself field 10 or more Chimeras) it practically breaks the game.
Old 18 Apr 2010, 03:06   #15 (permalink)
Shas'La

I rarely fight units that aren't in cover, so I'll take the higher Str; besides, its good against both tough infantry and lightly armored vehicles, the heavy bolter is more suited for infantry, but with so much cover, I might as well go with the higher strength. I like multi-lasers and wish we had more of them, I can get a las cannon in a HWS but not a Multi-laser? can you say WTF?
Dreamshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2010, 04:02   #16 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamshift
I like multi-lasers and wish we had more of them, I can get a las cannon in a HWS but not a Multi-laser? can you say WTF?
Hmm, that's actually a good point. I don't suppose converting teams to hold multilasers would be too hard. I've got some spare ones from Sentinels I could graft onto the normal plastic HWS lascannon mounting. How many points do you think it would cost? I'd place it as +10 for infantry/command/etc squads, +5 for heavy weapons squads. That would put it about level with Heavy Bolters and Autocannons. It might be a fun thing to test out in a friendly game.
corsairmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2010, 04:30   #17 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Quote:
Multi-lasers always. They are just so much better against a wider verity of targets. The extra AP on the heavy-bolters are too situational. If only there was an option for auto cannons.
I wish, Autocannons make everything better. However, I think Space Marine players would be Aulma'd. We would get a transport for cheaper than a Predator that is nearly as effective shooting AND holds infantry, with lots of fire points.
Seeing as we now have the Vendetta, which is miles cheaper than the equivalent Predator, is on par or better at shooting, has more weapons, is a transport, and is a deep-striking, fast skimmer, I think that point is moot.

The updated IA rules from FW include the Autocannon option... I'd rather my opponent take that to a Vendetta any day.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2010, 04:53   #18 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I was under the impression anything originating from FW books or thier special rules required opponents permission. Is that not the case?

Otherwise my chimeras would all be sporting autocannons. I love the valkyrie model, but I can't justify buying one (or more) at the moment, and I don't think that Mordians would make good drop troops. Maybe someday when I start that second Guard detachment...
corsairmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2010, 07:21   #19 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnightCuron
Quote:
Quote:
I'll throw my vote in with Multi-Lasers as well, mostly as the S6 makes it extremely versatile (can actually penetrate Rhino as well as wound T4 models on a 2+).

As for Autocannons, having autocannon turrets on Chimeras would be a very big boon, but at high point levels (where people such as myself field 10 or more Chimeras) it practically breaks the game.
Feilding that many chims with any of the weapon options breaks the game.

Having used both, I find the AP 4 to be sometimes invaluable on the heavy bolter. So i would mix half and half if you are not sure. The HB is definently the softer choice though.
Old 18 Apr 2010, 10:14   #20 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to DarkKnightCuron Send a message via MSN to DarkKnightCuron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnightCuron
Quote:
Quote:

Feilding that many chims with any of the weapon options breaks the game.
More or less. That many Multi-laser shots are great against light vehicles and general infantry, but improving them to Autocannons would give you the ability to eliminate all enemy transports (short of AV13 and AV14). To each their own, though.