Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Rough Riders
Old 15 Apr 2010, 16:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Rough Riders

Hey guys, I thought about using them as my "Cossacks". Has anyone actually thought about using them?

And I thought that for the price of 5-6 Rough Riders, I can get the plastic ones from the Fantasy versions.

So what do y'all think about them? How would you use them?
Old 15 Apr 2010, 17:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Rough Riders

As far as the models are concerned i think the best way is to use scout bikes with guardsmen on. they look oober kool. and using them, i give them melta guns and bombs, charge them into a unit of value to your enemy then go vehicle hunting, they are very effective.
field marshel R Ironballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2010, 19:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

However be warned that they are only effective on the FIRST charge, and they dies very easily to regular small arms fire.

Converting into bikes works if you dont mind doing the work, and want them to match a Mech theme. Just remember that they still wont count as Bikes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2010, 22:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I had seen an excellent conversion of a guardmen on a bike. They look a lot better than lame horses. Unfortunately they have lost pretty much all of their usefullness as now the FA slots are very important for the IG and there are so many amazing options that are better that using RR.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2010, 23:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Man I really want to like and use this unit but I might actually use them in my withhunter army. I', thinking of turning them into Centaurs since I rarely see them and it makes for great modeling ideals. I'm thinking of running them behind a chimera and charge units in cover to force them out. I might use khan and might try to make Cyber Steads.
Old 16 Apr 2010, 03:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Considering I'm trying to make my Rough Riders into either something like Cossacks or Motorcycles akin to the German Army in WW2.

What I think they oughta have is Scout. Do Calvary naturally comes with Move Through Cover? I remember something like that in the rulebook.

Anyways, my FA slot is empty aside from Sentinels and I prefer to bunch them up and I have probably 2 slots free, I don't want the Valk/Vend because it's not fluffy. :P

Strange how I never seen anyone uses them, were they in the previous codex? They seem to be hit or miss kind of thing here.
Old 16 Apr 2010, 04:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobb
Considering I'm trying to make my Rough Riders into either something like Cossacks or Motorcycles akin to the German Army in WW2.

What I think they oughta have is Scout. Do Calvary naturally comes with Move Through Cover? I remember something like that in the rulebook.

Anyways, my FA slot is empty aside from Sentinels and I prefer to bunch them up and I have probably 2 slots free, I don't want the Valk/Vend because it's not fluffy. :P

Strange how I never seen anyone uses them, were they in the previous codex? They seem to be hit or miss kind of thing here.
in the last codex you didn't have flying gun ships and sentinels could be used as hqs. I've decided to try to fit them in me witch hunter army. But in a regular army you have to many choices that's better for fast attack than using a one trick poney.
Old 16 Apr 2010, 04:54   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I wish I could use Rough Riders, but it is true. The newer FA choices simply outshine them. It is possible they remain as more of a "legacy" choice so people with models can still field them for fun.
corsairmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2010, 19:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

They pretty much only belong in fluffy lists. Every other FA choice has gotten an upgrade to be made just far superior to the RR.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2010, 22:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

But saying that, they did get a shiny new special character that royally screws you over if you use him XD
field marshel R Ironballs is offline   Reply With Quote