Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

sentinel, can't find a good use for them
Old 10 Apr 2010, 01:22   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default sentinel, can't find a good use for them

I have yet to use a sentinel in an army list. Perhaps I just can't see a good strategy for the points cost. Below is a list of reasons I have for not using them. I would love for someone to tell me where they can be placed/armed to change my mind

Reasons for not using:
1. Scout- armor poor and being opened top means to easy to kill.
2. can haul great weapons but shooting isn't good enough to want to spend points on something so easily killed.
3. To put in a squadron for better shooting chance means the already easy to kill machine has become even more easy to kill.
4. Armored sentinel- better armor but otherwise same as scout.
5. Hand to hand is worthless. Would try to avoid it. As far as I can see the 1 attack doesn't even negate armor saves and it's str isn't so good I would consider it a tank killer either. Why even have an attack?
6. For the points for unit/weapons to make one good enough to try (scout or armored) I could have something much better weapon wise with more armor/range or even wounds.

The bad thing is, I can't think of any good reasons to field one
Please show me the light..I am overlooking their potential I am sure. Why would there be such a thing if it weren't useful in at least some manner?
Old 10 Apr 2010, 01:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.
Default Re: sentinel, can't find a good use for them

You know Scout allows outflank dont you?

Out flank 3 sentinals with autocannons behind a tank an blow it up. then kill the troops.

Or take Multilasers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2010, 01:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I imagine Sentinels are very similar to War Walkers (the Eldar unit) in terms of strategy.

Maybe you can look at a(/some) tactica(s) in the Eldar board for War Walkers and attempt to use some of those same ideas with Sentinels.

Edit: about the below mentioned tactic, I've used it with a War Walker against a normal mob of Boyz before and tied them for the game because I got the charge and they're only Str 3 without Furious Charge. As is also mentioned below, I did it on accident because I just wanted to keep my Avengers and Farseer from getting charged :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2010, 02:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I am not the one who came up with this, but I have accidentally used the strategy before: its the Tar Pit. The Sentinel is very cheap, and rather worthless in combat; but it still has an armor value of 10, so not everything can injure it in melee. So, for instance a 30 man strong squad of 'gaunts is going to be rather tied up for the game should a measly scout sentinel show up and harass them. TADA! less than 50 points to tie up 100+, fair trade I think. Other than that, you have another target to distract your enemy with; and another multi-laser--which isn't a BAD weapon, just not mind blowing. Its not a bad platform, but it can be cheap.
Dreamshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2010, 02:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

Ummm, i thoiught you couldnt hold a vehicle in combat? A sentinalt is still a vehicle.
Quote:
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Old 10 Apr 2010, 02:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Except Walkers. You can tie/be tied by Walkers.

I should know, my most recent game my Shas'O got tied by a Soul Grinder :P... for 4 turns ;D (go go gadget Shield Drones/Generator :rockon

I'd have gotten the hell out of there if I could've, but I couldn't because of this thing called :rulez:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2010, 02:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ah, my bad then. Fair enough
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10 Apr 2010, 04:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman

As far as heavy weapon support goes: you're better off with heavy weapon platoons since you can give them orders and they're cheaper per unit. The only problem is that they're totally immobile.

Outflanking w/ autocannons or using armored ones with plasma or missiles are really your best options. Yeah, they're not the greatest option, but they're ok. They provide some heavy weapon mobility. Nobody's making you use them! Unless of course you bought the battleforce
Old 10 Apr 2010, 05:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Scout Sentinels has the Move Through Cover special rule.
Which does come in handy when in urban warfare.

Honestly, Sentinels are design to support infantry and armored vehicles not to go toe to toe with other units. If you want a unit to go toe to toe then get a LRBT.
Shas_O Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2010, 07:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987

I find that if you use Scout to tank hunt with Missile launchers and Lascannons, having them Outflank, is the best way to go. Make take an HK missile or two just for that extra fire power. It's pretty nice showing up from a short table edge and having side armour in sight. Not to mention if you take more Missile launchers, then you have the blast template to help you out. Also the Auto cannon is useful with these other two, as it keeps the range and has a higher rate of fire while still being able to take most side armour. And if they want to shoot at them with tanks, yes, your Sentinels will die easily, but they'll mostly be waisting their shots, as I'm sure there are better targets for them than Scout Sentinels as infantry can take them out a good amount of the time.

And as for Armoured, I use them for infantry hunting. Heavy bolters and Plasma cannons being the best option. You keep the range, and have the ability to deal with just about all infantry types. And the range of their weapons keeps you out of range of theirs. The front armour 12 is also a great thing in that if you do get assaulted by troops, they're trying to hit you against your BS at that. And if they use grenades, well, good luck trying to get those 6's to hit a lot. Them not being open topped is rather nice as well.

With both of them, the ability to move and still fire your weapon is key, and if you're to take HK missiles on them, then they can fire those in addition. They're also easier to hide than other tanks; having a narrower profile, though slightly taller, makes them able to hide behind cover without much maneuvering. They can also run, being walkers, should you loose the ability to shoot in a turn, letting you get behind cover that would other wise be just out of reach with your normal movement.

So Sentinels, in either form, are quite nice. But they have to have a specific role, or they won't preform as well as you hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote