Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Insurgent-based army
Old 09 Apr 2010, 20:12   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Insurgent-based army

Every now and then I would try and make some thematic armies that could work on the tabletop decently. One of those armies in my mind is actually an insurgent-like army based upon the Taliban, Al-Qaeda, Hamas, and Hezbollah.

So far I got a few things lined up, but nonetheless it would be quite a feat to model them, and they are;

1) Fanaticism : Straken and Commisars would decently show the fanatical side of the army, with the rules that make them more resilient despite common judgement.

2)Solid weaponry: Due to their sucky weapons, the choices are mostly solid-projectile weapons. Autocannons, missile launchers, and grendare launchers would be the mainstay here.

3)Snipers: Who can miss these buggers? Ratling as child soldiers and snipers in command squads as adjuntants would be decent enough

4)No vets: Insurgents may have vets, but not well-trained ones.

5)Mostly footslogging: With the exception of support vehicles here and there, no vehicles at all.

6)light support vehicles only:Sentinels would be a mainstay due to their light nature. Will be modeled like little technicals with guns. So no Valks or Hellhound variants

7) Unsophisticated systems for heavy support: Hydra flak is one of the must here, but could be guided by a psyker. Manticores could represent a MLRS in a way, and the one large blast is just an area being peppered by a Katyusha rocket.

I mean this is something in the works but could be worked out to become a decently playable army. Would like feedback and comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2010, 20:24   #2 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Insurgent-based army

I really don't know if I like the idea of an army based off an enemy my countrymen are currently fighting
I mean I'm fine with Nazi Guard and Viet-Kong Guard, but this just sets me off :-\

To be on topic, I'd consider Al-Raheem to represent people dressed as civilians attacking from an unexpected front with his outflank abililty, and maybe a Deathstrike for a stolen WMD
Old 09 Apr 2010, 20:25   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW
To be on topic, I'd consider Al-Raheem to represent people dressed as civilians attacking from an unexpected front with his outflank abililty, and maybe a Deathstrike for a stolen WMD
Insurgents would not have true WMD for the moment, so I do not think that it suits.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
Old 09 Apr 2010, 20:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW
I really don't know if I like the idea of an army based off an enemy my countrymen are currently fighting
I mean I'm fine with Nazi Guard and Viet-Kong Guard, but this just sets me off :-\

The examples he give may be offensive. But the idea is not.
At the start of the American Revolution, for example, Colonists were acting as insurgents.

The guerrilla warfare idea is very common in history, it seems weird to be taking offence to this.

Personally, I would take vets over standard platoons. You can fit in a lot more special weapons, and having less troops (due to the veterans cost) seems much more realistic.
Old 09 Apr 2010, 20:49   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAFTCP
Personally, I would take vets over standard platoons. You can fit in a lot more special weapons, and having less troops (due to the veterans cost) seems much more realistic.
Would their training be so special that they would immediately become what are essentially British SAS? :-\

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
Old 09 Apr 2010, 20:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I would argue that you could have vets in the army, but I would limit their numbers to 1 or 2 squads at max. Just think some of the Taliban in Afghanistan fought the Russians decades ago, and now the same guys are fighting the Americans. The idea of ratling children is a good one, but I would find child models to use and not the ratling ones.

While I was in the Army for 8 years, I don't find this army offensive at all. I say go for it.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2010, 20:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hmmm.... i'm open to any theme with Guard (hey, it's your stuff right?)... I myself (was) planning on doing a Waffen (not Death's Head) themed Guard army...so i'm no stranger to the raised eye-brows... (if you're interested, i dropped the idea due to some reactions i got on here... it's useful to gauge the reaction before you take 'em to a shop...)

But i may be able to help you with this theme... Thing is i reckon it would be difficult to implement, because Guerilla fighters dont tend to do a 'massed' battle like in 40k, it's not in their way... they set traps, use ambushes, retreat when attacked, attack when enemy retreats etc, which is very difficult, nearly impossible, to implement on the table-top :-\ sorry, it just is.

However, if you WANT to do this, then by all means go ahead... but one way i'd do it would be to try and make everything you can either outflank, use stealth, and basically stuff that makes them move quickly, quietly, and without being seen.... (Al'Raheem hint hint)... Of course you could use this for friendly games, and make house rules to better represent the insurgent force (roadside bombs for example). Of course you'd have to get your friend's permission

For models, i'd go for Tallarn, it just works... or maaybe Cadians with heavy sculpting work over their heads & flak armour, say if you're doing middle-eastern insurgents, you could sculpt that rag-thing that you see them wearing in news pics (i dont think it's a turban btw... because it covers the face too... because of the desert environment.)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_9MFWcatoiy...Insurgents.png

Oh, and if you like, i can get you a link to convert the lasguns to AKs

EDIT: Found it
http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/inde...howtopic=63551
Its in one of the pics, i think what you do is cut off the lasgun barrel, stick on the one from the chimera lasguns, and then cut off the clip, and stick on a bolter mag in it's place
Old 09 Apr 2010, 21:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think this is a good idea, and I've had a direct experience with this. So allow me to offer some suggestions that would induce some PTSD should you fight a vet.

I wouldn't take AC's, but how could you have overlooked mortars? Mortars are extremely common. Missile launchers would fit quite well as RPG's, and you could include some HB's in there as LMG's.

Penal legion squads seem like they might have something to offer this sort of army. A bunch of guys thrown together, given weapons, and told to go kill that guy over there.

A MoO could fit, just say the random templates he throws around are IED's. They're quite similar. They don't work half the time, but when they do you feel it.

Anything that can outflank would fit in, like Lincoln was saying with Al'Raheem.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2010, 21:09   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Before Crescent
I wouldn't take AC's, but how could you have overlooked mortars? Mortars are extremely common. Missile launchers would fit quite well as RPG's, and you could include some HB's in there as LMG's.
Wouldn't a heavy stubber be better for this? And yes, mortars are something I have forgotten.

Quote:
Penal legion squads seem like they might have something to offer this sort of army. A bunch of guys thrown together, given weapons, and told to go kill that guy over there.
Nice, would work well as militia.

Quote:
A MoO could fit, just say the random templates he throws around are IED's. They're quite similar. They don't work half the time, but when they do you feel it.
MoO? What is that?

Quote:
Anything that can outflank would fit in, like Lincoln was saying with Al'Raheem.
Yeah Al-rahem is something I have considered as well.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
Old 09 Apr 2010, 21:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Master of Oordinance I'm guessing. Not sure how I forgot mortars either, they would fit the theme perfectly.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote