Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Gun Line- Is it viable against armies in 5th ed?
Old 06 Apr 2010, 18:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default The Gun Line- Is it viable against armies in 5th ed?

I currently have an infantry heavy army, assisted by one demolisher and two sentinels, and I have had serious difficulties fighting Tyranids and Space Wolves. I have recently re-read the infantry squad entry and it states they can combine to make larger squads. I like this because it reduces the amount of kill points I have sitting on the board. I have have some basic questions as how to run my Imperial Guard army:

1) Should I take integrated heavy weapons into the squads, or rely on the heavy weapon squads? I'm cross right now: the HWS allows specific orders like Bring it Down to be most effective, but they lack leadership and wounds to keep them alive. Should I integrate the heavy weapons?

2) Should I combine my squads into a thirty man and a twenty man against the space marines and the Tyranids? My hope is that the twenty man in the front will serve as a screen to the larger thirty man squad, and reduce my KP (or VP?) in the army and give me a better chance.

3) Should I play my infantry heavy army like a gun-line, where I stand and fire from the back of the board, to increase my shots against the Space Wolves and the Tyranids? Or should I continue to be more aggressive?

4) a bare minimum Scout Sentinel could serve as a tar pit against the hormies and termies of the Tyranids, should I use one like that to tie up his 30 man squads permanently? I've done it once before on accident and it seemed to save me quite a bit of angst (I just didn't cheap out on them, something I think I will do from now on)

Thanks guys, I'm pretty new to the Imperial Guard and I seem to need a bit of help
Dreamshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2010, 18:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: The Gun Line- Is it viable against armies in 5th ed?

It seems like you're having trouble against assault, something which footslogging and gunline both seem to have trouble with. Lets look at some of your questions.

1. This really depends on your play style I would say. If you like to play agressively with your squads, you're probably trying to move up and achieve double tap range before it gets fleeted through and ignored. In that case you wouldn't want integrated HWs and would probably want HW squads instead. If you're playing sit and shoot gunline integrated can be better.

I will say that playing infantry heavy doesn't necessarily mean you have to play HW heavy. Maybe consider dropping some out to make room for a couple more support vehicles? Demolishers are good because their rear armor 11 means plenty of things can't hurt them in combat.

2. Combining squads can help keep them around when they actually do get assaulted, but it has its drawbacks - namely loosing target prioritization options since you have fewer squads shooting individually. It is a good way to reduce KP that's true.

3. That's really up to you. If you're playing aggressively you probably want to stagger your advance so the elements behind get shots on the assaulters plowing through your front lines.

4. Sentinels are exceptional tarpits against Nids. You might consider an armored variant instead of scout as they will stick around a little longer in combat and can effectively trap units that can't hurt them.

Gunline is a tough life against assault armies. I assume you are packing a fair amount of flamers?
Schev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2010, 21:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I play a hybrid gunline with some mech in it. I include HW's both in my infantry squads and in the separate HW squads.

I usually always combine my squads. Don't both with the screen, just throw them together and put them next to each other. Before your enemy is able to charge you should be able to get at least one turn of FRFSRF in there, which can really help to thin the numbers of anything that's charging at you.

If you're playing a gunline, you really can't be aggressive. You have to sit in the back and shoot as much as you possible can. That's why I include a few aggressive units that can push under the cover of the rest of my army.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2010, 21:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks for the responses, I was wondering also if anyone had any personal experience fighting the Space Wolves and Tyranids that could elucidate their successful strategies to me. Maybe it'll inspire me to run my army different. I run Catachans and my friends are all running the Mechanized lists; so I don't want to mirror them for the sake of variety. Are there any great success stories in 5th ed regarding Infantry heavy lists? or hybrid lists with large amounts of infantry supported by a few tanks (I really want a hellhound!)
Dreamshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2010, 23:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hellhounds are amazing and you should include some in every list! I haven't played the 5e nids yet, but if DSing is giving you problems then I would see about getting a =I= mystic as one of your HQ choices.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote