Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Thoughts on Mechanized Imperial Guard (Post-Tournament Review)
Old 31 Mar 2010, 12:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to DarkKnightCuron Send a message via MSN to DarkKnightCuron
Default Thoughts on Mechanized Imperial Guard (Post-Tournament Review)

First off, read this: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,94390.0.html

That is if you haven't already. Good reading, wish I had been paying attention before I jumped into a tournament, but here goes.

Scored myself 2nd place in a local tournament shop running the following list:

CCS - 4 Plasmaguns, Carapace, Plasma Pistol on the Commander, Chimera with Hull-Mounted Heavy Flamer

Infantry Platoon - Platoon Command with Grenade Launchers (mostly to save points and add versatility), Chimera with Hull-Mounted Heavy Flamer. 5 Infantry Squads, each with meltagun and Chimera (Hull-mounted Heavy Flamer)

Veterans - Grenadiers, Demolitions, 3 Meltaguns, Lasguns, Chimera with Hull-Mounted Heavy Flamer

Stormtroopers - 2 Meltaguns, Chimera with Hull-Mounted Heavy Flamer and Extra Armor

2 Hellhounds with MultiMeltas

2 Leman Russ tanks (one with Heavy Bolter Sponsons and Hull-Mounted Heavy Bolter / One with Hull-mounted Lascannon and sponson Heavy Bolters)

At any rate, I noticed quite a few things during my games.

Unified armored front: This causes target priority issues for your opponent. While the Hellhounds and Tanks are obvious choices for heavy weapons fire, having so much AV 12 on the board really caused my opponents some concern; They had absolutely no idea what to shoot at! One of my opponents was clever, however, and figured out how to try and shutdown my avenues of approach, but he failed to immobilized 2 critical vehicles, which allowed me to explode out of my deployment zone.

"Wait, how far did that move...?": Unless you have a set of markers that are clearly labeled for such instances, you have so much armor on the table that you quickly forget which one moved from where and how far it moved. More than once my opponent and I had a discussion about which Chimera moved how far, that it started to drag gameplay quite a bit. Keeping track of vehicle damage was also starting to get vastly difficult, so you're going to need a set of markers or a status sheet to keep track of those things.

"Aquila Lead, this is Lancer Five, with all due respect, sir, could you move your arse...?": Another thing I noticed is that, even on a terrain-light board, your deployment zone is going to be PACKED. If your opponent is smart and has first turn, he's going to try shutting down your mobility by taking out critical units to halt avenues of approach. You can counter this with smart deployment, Extra armor, or Camo Netting certain vehicles in order to prevent this occuring. Once you have clear paths of approach, you will be able to spring into action, exploding out of your deployment zone and giving yourself mobile cover for other vehicles. However, above all else, you must secure your own mobility, otherwise you'll be a sitting duck.

"Speaking of cover...": Don't hesitate to use your own vehicles to provide cover for others. I discovered this little tactic during my second game, where I used several Chimeras to provide cover for my Leman Russ tanks and Hellhounds.

"You want us to go where...?": Sadly, my stormtroopers didn't accomplish a whole lot on first or second rounds of the tournament. In their Chimera, they outflanked every game, only to end up on the wrong side of the table I needed them on. On the third round (against Chaos Space Marines, which are a pain to fight no matter who you are) they actually did something cool by taking out a full, ten-man squad of Chosen. They then went on to destroy a Soul Grinder and, eventually, a few more Khorne bezerkers. In fact, were it not for my Stormtroopers, my lines would have been broken into by Khorne Bezerkers (and Kharne!), which would have ruined the game for me. So, all-in-all, my Stormtroopers are still rather hit-or-miss. I like to call them "Hogans Heroes." I'm still thinking if I should keep them in my army or not.

Above all else, use the mobility and armor value to your advantage; In all the first two rounds of hte tournament, I overloaded my opponents with scoring or contesting units in order to win objective games, and I BARELY won the third round (against Chaos Marines) in a Kill Point game, mostly from my Stormtroopers deciding to become awesome and dumb luck on my part.

Overall, I'll definitely will be fielding Mechanized Imperial Guard in the future.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 13:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Thoughts on Mechanized Imperial Guard (Post-Tournament Review)

Some good points here, many of which I was planning to incorporate in my beginners guide to playing mech Guard article.

I have a simple system I use to alleviate some of the memory issues with movement / damage. I use white dice to signify vehicles that have popped smoke / moved flat out (skimmers). I use red dice with the damage result suffered showing to denote damage. I've never really had a hard time remembering how far each unit moved as it dictates my shooting and I can generally remember what shot what.

I don't think Stormtroopers in a Chimera is the best use. I've always preferred to DS them to "ensure" they get into those hard to reach places on the board they need to be.

Thanks for the shout out, glad you enjoyed the article.
Schev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2010, 15:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

It's easier to keep track with markers. I have a tackle box full of gale force and gw vehicle markers. I lay down the appropriate marker for each effect for my vehicles. I think I may need more immobalized markers cause I wind up getting like 4-5 immobalized vehicles in a decent game.

I also throw the markers on my opponents vehicles as well to keep them honest. Somethimes I use clear tokens to keep track of who shot and who moved. In larger games it's hard to keep track of everybody at times. I usally don't forget about the vehicles. I at times forget about my foot troops.

Also the biggest arguements I get into is vehicle facing. I mostly keep some vehicles on a slant where the 12 front armour is the only thing facing. Also I put two vehicles togther to deny side armour shots. An example would be to run a banewolf next to a chimera with both of them on a 45% angel with the wolf up front to the left. That way only the chimera front armour is visible while the banewolf blocks line of sight to the chimera side armour on the left. Also with facing like that the chimeras right side would be facing you and away from your opponent.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 15:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yeh but markers cost $$. :P Tough sell for me when the same task can be achieved with dice I already need.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 15:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schev
Yeh but markers cost $$. :P Tough sell for me when the same task can be achieved with dice I already need.
I use to think like that too. But dice have the tendacy to be knocked for some reason. Also there is no confusion with a token outright saying immoblized. I use to use dice but the aids help a lot more with moving the game along. Cause even if you put a 4 on the tank. People still want to look up what is a 4. Also you get a 4 resault on a glance which is a 2. Instead of putting a 2 I've seen people put the 4 still and it causes another arguement. I noticed I get none with my tokens.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 15:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Heh, ok, I'll grant tokens might be better in that scenario. My playgroup comes to consensus on these things and I never have to deal with random players, so I might be spoiled.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 16:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schev
Heh, ok, I'll grant tokens might be better in that scenario. My playgroup comes to consensus on these things and I never have to deal with random players, so I might be spoiled.
I play in like 5 differant places. So if you're playing the same people constantly than your way shouldn't be a prob.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 16:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I love mechanised guard, I played the for the first time the other day at my LGS as i finally finished them. I am the only mech player there so it was s shock to see so much armour.

I learnt the using 1 vehicle to screen another in game 1 when i used empty chimersa (it had droppd it's troops at an objective) to block off the lascannons of a landraider.

I will make a few markers though as often people get confused.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 16:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

You could just use spare bases and some white paint. or some paper and a pen and write damages on them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2010, 16:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
You could just use spare bases and some white paint. or some paper and a pen and write damages on them?
If you're going cheap. I say buy some round bases and paint them white. Paint the border the same color as the effect.

Shaken= Shak with green border
Stunned= Stun with yellow border
Weapon destroyed= WD with grey border
immobalized =Imm with orange border
wrecked= WK with red border