Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Rookie seeking help in general
Closed Thread
Old 27 Mar 2010, 07:17   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Rookie seeking help in general

I am looking for general help creating my army. I have listed all of my units in an army list you can access through my profile, as well as a few sub-lists combining my various units for 500, 1000, 1500, and 2000 point games. I won't waste space reproducing it here.

I have 3 extra heavy bolter teams and an extra flamer not listed in my army. Those could be used as well, although I am under the impression autocannons are superior to heavy bolters.

This uses all of my available models. I'm not looking to acquire many more, so I would like to create an interesting army using what I have already.

A few notes: All of models are metal Mordians. The officers have bolt pistols because the models have them. I do not plan on doing any weapon swaps, although it would be easy enough for the sergeants/bodyguards, a little bit harder for the officers. I know plasma weapons are really great, but there is no Mordian with a Plasma Gun model and I don't want to convert too many metal miniatures by removing their tightly-clutched lasguns.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 27 Mar 2010, 14:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Rookie seeking help in general

Hi Corsair,

Welcome to the site!
I'm going to move this to the main IG board. You'll get much more attention there, on a thread that deserves a lot of attention. I will take a look at your available models later on in the day.
However, what style of play are you looking to use? Mechanized? Gunline? Giving us your preference will help people when making a list for you.
Old 27 Mar 2010, 15:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I unfortunately can't see the army list screen here at work, but I can offer some tips.

In my opinion, yes AC's are far better than HB's. With the new codex they cost the same ammount. For 1 less shot you get 2 more str and better range. This changes the weapon's ability from purely horde to just about everything in the game. You can reliably wound just about anything on 2's, as well as being able to get good hits against MC's and vehicles.

Plasma is great, but it's not necessary in every list. I actually take more melta weapons than plasma.

Old 27 Mar 2010, 19:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

I've composed a 500 point list for you here, using what models you have available. Let me know what you think. I've tried to say close to Mordian fluff, too.
HQ:
Command Squad
-Bolt Pistol
-Plasma Gun
-Plasma Gun
Total: 82

Troops:
Platoon Command Squad
-Bolt Pistol
-Flamer
-Flamer
-Flamer
Total: 45

Infantry Squad:
-Grenade Launcher
-Autocannon
Total: 65

Infantry Squad:
-Grenade Launcher
-Autocannon
Total: 65

Veteran Squad:
-Meltagun
-Meltagun
Total: 90

Heavy Support:
Leman Russ
-Battle Cannon
-Hull Heavy Bolter
Total: 150

Grand Total: 497

You've got some good anti horde with all the template weapons, good anti MEQ with the Leman Russ, meltaguns and Autocannons, and good anti tank with your Leman Russ and meltaguns.

Old 27 Mar 2010, 20:33   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks for the move. I was debating myself, and picked the lists forum. And thank you for the responses.

I have a lot of heavy weapons team models, so I'd like to approach the game with more of a gun line feel. I only have 2 chimeras and at the moment I'm not planning to get more terribly soon. My mostly unpainted army has sadly been collecting dust since I started college and now that I'm nearing the end, I want to get most of what I have painted before I start adding more.

The 500 point list looks very versatile, although to me the heavy weapons in the squads hinder their mobility. In practice is this a good idea? From what I have been reading while lurking, heavy weapons make squads more static. However, the AC is cheap and I only lose 1 lasgun shot on the move.

And regarding the Leman Russ hull weapon - mine have lascannons attached to them, although I think I can make a swap out by cutting along a glued seam to make the swap. It will be harder for my to pry the sponsons off (for some reason, I had the idea I'd use them back with 4th edition rules). But yes, I definitely see the reason to not waste points on the upgrades anymore.

Regarding vox links - are they useful at all anymore? Or do squads tend to pass their order checks? I have modeled a bunch of my figures carrying them based on the 4th edition rules. If they aren't useful, its not too hard to just tell my opponent that no units have voxes, they are just for show.

As a final thought, I can always convert my 2nd company command into an platoon command and take multiple platoons. I have enough weapons teams and special weapons to field 2 platoons 2-squad and 2 vet squads if each has a special and heavy weapon.
Old 27 Mar 2010, 21:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I play similar to how you do. My favorite IG unit is the HW team so I always cram a lot of those in my lists. I would also suggest putting your command squad in a Chimera, even if you intend to just make it sit there. This will actually increase the range of his orders as he measures from the hull of the vehicle, as well as giving him some protection.

In any gunline army it's also useful to have at least 1 unit that is mobile in order to grab objectives and such. I would stick a squad of vets in your other Chimera and use them for this purpose.

Old 30 Mar 2010, 06:25   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

My original intent was to supply both of my veteran squads (in my eventual full army) with the chimeras. I can see how great transports are for pretty much everything. At the risk of derailing my own thread a bit - since all models fire from the top hatch, think I could remove the lasguns and put some armor over the holes? I'm not a huge fan of them.

I'm also really interested in input regarding vox links. They are cheap per squad, but having a lot effectively adds up to half another squad or more. Worth taking to ensure orders are successful?
Old 30 Mar 2010, 10:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

You can do whatever you want with you Chimeras, they're your models.

Vox links unfortunately aren't very useful anymore. Which sucks because I love the way they look. I usually give my orders to HW squads which can't even have vox casters so bleh.

Old 30 Mar 2010, 18:22   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Sorry if I came off negatively about the transports. I wanted to consider the pros and cons of both vets vs ccs and vets mounted. I appreciate your help.

Since voxes are meh, would it be worth removing my static ccs (80) and the links (35) in order to get another Chimera? That would give me 3 mobile squads and enough points for another 10man squad.

And should I be putting heavy weapons in my platoon squads? If I did I'd have enough models for 4 infantry squads, though one would be stuck with a heavy bolter and a flamer until I got another autocannon/GL.

(Edit) Or I could toss in a sentinel or 2, since I hadn't found room before.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 00:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Sentinels are amazing. I would highly recommend putting the HW teams in your infantry squads, but don't give any to your mounted vets as they'll be moving all the time.

Ditch the vox network so you can free up those points. Orders are usefull, but not worth spending so many points on.

Closed Thread