Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

IG vs Ork strat
Old 25 Mar 2010, 23:29   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default IG vs Ork strat

I only play 1000 pnt armies with a friend in my basement-he is ork. His strat is 3 gretchin dreadnaughts in front of a 30 ork unit with a cover save bubble..an or truck with nobs, tank with ap3 ordinance blast (forget str of it), a regular dreadnaught and 2 defcoptors. I have tried many different things in an annihilation battle to defeat this army with no luck.
my last list was 2 punishers, 2 eradicators, vendetta and 2 veteran troops/1 command squad. all ordinance scattered off target (makes me not want to use ordinance ever again). vendetta took out the truck but was destroyed quickly after. The battle was quick and painful.

Maybe someone has a good strategy for this? I have tried many things with no luck. I have to beat that army! lol..TY for any and all advice
Old 25 Mar 2010, 23:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: IG vs Ork strat

Go mech. Remain mobile enough so that he can't get you with his dreads, and focus fire on the Trukk and Deffkoptas. A squadron of 2 hellhounds will render his bubble useless as well as annihilating a large majority of his army in only one round of shooting.

You lose because you took too many LRBT's. They're good and all, but not in a 1k game. The most I ever take in games that size is 1. Focus the rest of your firepower in getting cheaper HW's.

Get some units in Chimeras, and give those hull mounted heavy flamers. You're going to get into assault eventually, just make sure you get that Chimera right up in his face and unload with that flamer so when he does charge you he won't have enough to mop up the squad that's inside.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2010, 23:56   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

That is very good advice! I will modify my list accordingly and can't wait to see it in action. TY alot
Old 26 Mar 2010, 03:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Indeed, Hellhounds are fantastic against Orks. Just make sure you try to keep them shooting at max range. Eradicators are a good call as well for your Leman Russ selection, but I'd drop the Punishers. Way to expensive and vulnerable to cover saves.
Schev is offline   Reply With Quote