Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

IG regiments
Old 23 Mar 2010, 18:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default IG regiments

So, I was wondering could a cadian regiment serve on other worlds as well? I ask because the 412th in winter assault was allowed to
angrySCORCH62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2010, 18:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: IG regiments

If you mean deployed on other worlds, then yes. For example, the Cadian 88th were deployed to another world during the 13th Black Crusade, pretty much against their wishes, as they would rather defend Cadia. :P

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2010, 20:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

It happens all the time! Most planets in the Imperium are expected to pay a "tithe" of regiments to the Imperium. These regiments can be used anywhere in the galaxy!
However, planets also have a PDF. A Planetary Defence Force, that is never taken off the planet unless the planet plans to use them in their tithe.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 22:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftercresent
It happens all the time! Most planets in the Imperium are expected to pay a "tithe" of regiments to the Imperium. These regiments can be used anywhere in the galaxy!
However, planets also have a PDF. A Planetary Defence Force, that is never taken off the planet unless the planet plans to use them in their tithe.
So it's like a payment? Like a regiment is formed on cadia, uses cadian troops but given to the imperium to be used.

thanks for the replies guys
angrySCORCH62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2010, 23:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrySCORCH62
So it's like a payment? Like a regiment is formed on cadia, uses cadian troops but given to the imperium to be used.
Exactly. The regiments raised by each world are under the central command of the Imperial Guard, and are sent where the High Lords wish.

Also, the Cadian regiments' battle doctrine is so successful that many regiments from other worlds imitate their choices of equipment and tactics; it is thus perfectly reasonable to have a regiment raised on another world entirely which follows the Cadian battle doctrine.
I'm the face that you have to face
Mirrored in your stare
I'm what's left, I'm what's right
I'm the enemy
I'm the hand that'll take you down,
Bring you to your knees.
Arnorath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2010, 02:42   #6 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Tithe a.k.a. Taxes is one of things prevalent in the Imperium (Remember the saying "They are 2 certain things in life: Taxes and Death). The Imperium is surrounded by numerous enemies; Tyranids, Orks and Chaos (Chaos Space Marines or otherwise) as well as the occasional Eldar, Necron and Tau. To wage this wars, the Imperium needs a god-like amount of soldiers and equipment. The grand majority of the world raise Imperial Guard regiments (taken from the best of their PDF and given additional training as well as weapons) as part of their tithe along with whatever they can make e.g. foodstuff, armor, weapons, vehicles etc. Ultimately, the entire economy of the Imperium is all about war.

Then the newly raised Imperial Guard regiment shall be sent to the nearest warzone then the next and the next until the entire regiment is destroyed, or have been combined with another regiment to continue on fighting, or settled on some far-flung world as a reward or join an Explorator Fleet. Most of these Guardsmen will never ever see home again. The exceptions are the Cadian Regiments who's world is key strategic world of importance. Their Fortress World is meant to defend itself and the entire Imperium as a whole against the Chaos incursions. Even if they don't leave their world, they will see a lot of fighting with the worse kind of enemies.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2010, 10:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Dont meant to hijack this thread... but do the space marine chapters ever use Guardsmen? i mean... you got what? 1000 marines per legion, surely they need occassional help from the boys (or should that be bodies?) in flak armour? And if so, could they become 'initiates' to the chapter? Not full blown marines, but basically controlled by the legion?

Then again... maybe not in case the chapter goes renegade...
Old 27 Mar 2010, 11:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

The Astartes and the IG are two completely separate organizations. The smurfs don't tell IG what to do, however they are sometimes sent to the same place the IG are fighting but often times have different objectives than the IG.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2010, 14:04   #9 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

@ Baldrick: Hardly since the days of the Horus Heresy when millions of Guardsmen were actually under the command of Space Marine Legions. It was decided that Space Marines would not have direct command over the Imperial Guard thus they were separated. That's why you don't see any Space Marines as Warmasters.

The Imperial Guard is the primary defense of the Imperium. Quite literally the first, last and only line of defense. Space Marines are only summoned during the most direst of events e.g. presences of Chaos Space Marines. It's not the place of a Space Marine to summon the Imperial Guard.

Of course, they are few exceptions but it's mostly confined to PDFs where the said Space Marine Chapter Master is the Planetary Governor of the planet or even a lord of a dozen systems e.g. Ultramarines. But again, they don't bring the PDF. They'll just ask the Munitorum whether they can spare a few regiments to garrison the world before the Space Marine set off again.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2010, 19:48   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Riiight... cheers guys Just wondering.

EDIT: Speaking of which though... how do the Astartes get recruits? just go through the populations and find suitable candidates? Surely with the immense size of the Imperial Army there are some budding candidates within the various regiments? My idea of it would be that a particularly fit (and lucky) veteran would be inducted into a chapter... obviously after he's proved himself...