Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mercenary Guard Fluff that I need some help on.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 14:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Mercenary Guard Fluff that I need some help on.

Origionally I was going to go with my guard as part of the Mardi Gras Alliance. But I decided to go a mercenary route with them cause it would allow me to get crazy with conversions.

So my back drop is the company was formed doing Hive Fleet Gorgon attack on the Tau. Than the Cadian XVIIIth got in the middle of the conflict. Basically some Human Tau and some Cadian XVIIIth combined forces and decided to go merc. Working on the exact reasons. But basically the Human Tau felt limited and felt improperly equipt to deal with the constant evolving of the nid forces. Also some of the Cadian XVIIIth humans liked seeing the independance of the human Tau and decided to break away from the Cadian XVIIIth.

Both groups have pulled resources togther so they could have a mix of tau and guard tech. In game turns this is still a guard army but with tau props. The tau tech was pretty much looted from the tau dealing with the nids at the time.

The mercenary army will have tau, kroot bits and tyranid bits through out the
army. I'm still converting and building my army. I'll have Marbo, maybe the desert raider, maybe prask, maybe the heavy bolter vet with a tau burst cannon. I'm still working with the models than will go with story.

My concerns is I know the human empire as a whole would probablly want to gun these guys down. I need a plausable story that allows them to work within the empire. They don't need to be liked cause they're mercenaries. They would prove themselves by doing hard missions no one wants to do.

As a whole the group does not get along with the Tau. They only offer survives to the Empire or non chaos humans in need. So far they're specalised in dealing with Tau and Tyranids.

So far I have a lrbt with an ion cannon being used as a standard battle tank. With burst cannons as heavy bolters.

My Vindicator will have a Tau Rail Gun.

I putting carbines on some troops instead of lasguns. I felt the rifles would be too long for a human to be comfortable to use.

Using tau plasma and tau fusion guns as plasma and fusion guns. I'm using the heavy flamer harness as a base for the weapons.

I'm doing other things as well. But here is a list of things that would help me out.

1. Some fluff ideals to help the army to come alive.
2. Conversion Ideals would be nice.
3. Working on a paint sceme.
4. Need to know the color of the Gorgon nids.
5. The color of the tau going against Gorgon.

I want to keep the nid colours to show that these guys faced that swarm and brought trophies back. The color of the Tau isn't that important cause the humans could just paint over it.

Also the inclusion of Tau tech in the army I want it to make sence as well. I'm looking at some captured tau forced to teach some tech priest how to combine the two techs and killed afterwards. That's how I see it. But any other suggestions whould be nice. Also a suitable name would be nice as well. Also the merc army goes around to other worlds to recruit more humans to their cause.

Other issues is how can I get Inquisitors to want to use this force. Also would sisters and daemonhunters mind using these guys as well.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 14:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia
Default Re: Mercenary Guard Fluff that I need some help on.

If you are using a guard FoC you will run into some problems. Vindicators are used in space marine armies, and are unavailable to imperial guard. If you want to use the hammerhead railgun as something you could use it as a vanquisher?

With regards to a paint scheme, i think Tau firewarriors painted in cadian patterns would look cool. Perhaps you could use firewarriors as "stormtroopers" and their pulse rifles/carbines are "hot shot lasguns". I think that would look AWESOME lol but that's just me.

As for having marbo, Al'rahem (the desert raider) and harker (heavy bolter vet) in the same army, you have to be careful if you are going to USE the army. Marbo and harker work best coming from reserve, and Al'rahem and his ENTIRE PLATOON must outflank. You will have a large chunk of your units in reserve because of this, and these kinds of armies arent the easiest to play well. I suggest take 2 out of 3 of them. That gives you alot of diversity and gameplan changes, but it wont bring your game down much. Having 3 special characters in an army (plus pask for 4) might get opponents scratching heads...

With the fluff...i am not quite sold on it. I can understand Tau thinking "for the greater good" but using guard with Tau weapons without Tau present might be a no-no :P Perhaps if you used firewarriors as stormtroopers, the elite troops, and perhaps use Kroot as penal legion or something? I'm not sure, just tossing ideas up and around :P

Anyway, hope i helped in some way.

Lord Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2010, 15:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

The Vanquisher is what I ment to say. With the fire warriors i'm choping off the legs and adding cadian tops and feet to them. I'm debating chopping a tau head in half and putting it on the guard helmet.

I don't intend to use any tau or kroot in the force sadly. These guys pirate Tau when they can. The guard equipment is hard to come by cause they get it by some guard from other worlds joining up. They don't work with xenos but they don't see anything wrong with using xeno tech. I don't have a problem with them being seen as heretics in some cases.

They hire themselves out to fight against xenos. I think the Inquisition wouldn't have a problem hiring them out against Tau or Nids in hope that the mercenaries die with the nids or tau. It wouldn't be surprising to be hired out and then get attacked by the forces that did the hiring. They try not to put themselves in a situation where they have to fight the target and contracter. The whole brain child is that the human tau saw what the tau can achieve with tau initative and rekindled human inguinity and got with some cadians doing the nid campain to form the group. So you have some humans that experienced tau society with regular humans. The tau humans don't want anything to do with Tau but fear to go back to the empire. While the ideals of the human tau converted regular humans to their cause.

I don't want to be concidered chaos just because this group decides to act like normal humans with free thought. So I know this is workable.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 15:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicop76
I don't have a problem with them being seen as heretics in some cases.
The inquisition will have your head :P

and yeah, it sounds alright...idk about using half a Tau head on a guard helmet though...but anyway. The ideas are getting there, and it looks like you have alot of conversions in mind. What i would do before you convert everything is write up an army list. Because otherwise you might end up spending a fortune on units which you mightnt even use...

Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2010, 16:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Zambia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicop76
I don't have a problem with them being seen as heretics in some cases.
The inquisition will have your head :P

and yeah, it sounds alright...idk about using half a Tau head on a guard helmet though...but anyway. The ideas are getting there, and it looks like you have alot of conversions in mind. What i would do before you convert everything is write up an army list. Because otherwise you might end up spending a fortune on units which you mightnt even use...

Zambia
Thanks. I've already done a list. I'm converting while puting regular guys togther while going back and converting them. My main problems is converting the nid bits. I'm using the nid stuff as shoulder pads and a knife here and there. I'm thinking of using warrior heads as shields after a few grinding sessions. Also playing with the sentinel trying to figure what I could do. It's too big for suit parts and the nid parts I used so far really don't look right.

My mardi gras alliance will use these mercs. So far the alliance have the color sceme while I work on French and Louisianian Names in my army like Marie Le Viuex , Joan of Arc, Neapolian, Jean Lafyette, maybe Andrew Jackson and other historic names. I haven't done a back story for them cause I was more worried with the Mardi GRAS look. I messed up and though Damon hunters, witchhunters, and guard can be in a witchhunter base army. But since the new guard codex and making a guard base army I kinda strayed with merging all three in that way. The Mardi Gras Army have a purple, green, and gold look fir them.

I'm also doing female guard which I won't add parts from nids or tau. But I don't know what colors to go with yet. I might look up Norse mythology and see what colors the female warriors went with or do roman, south American colors for the girls.

But all I said is kinda what I want to be able to use togther in case I decide to play sister/ guard or grey knight/ guard.

Origionally my guard was to be cannon fodder for my inquisitorial forces. But my mercenary guard wouldn't go for the cannon fodder bit since the human tau didn't like being second class citizens.