Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Need help building a themed (and unoriginal) Guard army
Old 19 Mar 2010, 07:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia
Default Need help building a themed (and unoriginal) Guard army

Greetings,

I have been unsure of what army to collect next, have been tossing up with Guard though i was going to do a tallarn army but just dont have the cash at the moment, so i'm looking for a bit of fun. I thought how about do a full on starwars themed army, led by Vader with squadrons of stormtroopers and AT-AT's, etc, could be fun.

I am faced with 2 tasks...one is fun, one i need help with.

Task 1 - I want to write house rules for my army, for use in "friendly games" against 40k armies(Honestly, it be funny if Vader ever ran into an Etheral in the local supermarket) Some of these include FoC changes, extra units, different stats maybe. I have no problem with this though, the second task is what i need help with.

Task 2 - I want to also have a small (1000 pts to start) completely legal list which i can use in general gaming rather than friendly only. For this task, i have nutted out the basics of an army list.

Company Command squad - Vader as company commander, joined by some of his high ranked officers etc (including the officer of the fleet) this will make up the command squad. Vader has power weapon (lightsaber) and the 5+ invulnerable.

Techpriest engineer(s) - Could convert some droids of some sense for this role - could be cool.

Stormtrooper squads - Need i say more?

Troops - ???

Fast Attack - Armoured Sentinel Squads, like the scout versions of AT-ATs (cant remember the proper name off the top of my head)

Heavy support - ???

Conclusion... i need troops. To be honest, i probably dont know enough on the star wars theme to know if humans fit this role alright, because i cant be bothered converting an infantry platoon of battle droids, as cool as that would be. It would take far too much work. Heavy support doesnt worry me too much...but i'm open to suggestions there too.

So can anyone please help with ideas and fluff/reasons behind it for some troops mainly, and possibly some heavy support choices? And how about some comments on the theme idea on the whole if you dont mind. I'm all ears.

Thanks

Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2010, 07:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Need help building a themed (and unoriginal) Guard army

Either that or have droidekas for stormtroopers and the storm troopers for the troops.

Sounds good so far :P
Old 19 Mar 2010, 07:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy Harbinger
Either that or have droidekas for stormtroopers and the storm troopers for the troops.

Sounds good so far :P
I thought about using stormtrooper models as veterans with the grenaideers upgrade, and then maybe converting some B3 Battle Droids using ogryn rules, but again i have no idea where to get the parts for it. Also, the fact that stormtroopers have AP3 weaponry would really cement their "elite" status in the army Im not sure if lasguns properly suit the stormtroopers...Droidekas would be awesome, but i'd have to houserule them because there really isnt a unit for them :P

I think droids ideally would suit the troops choice (like the typical battle droid) but would normal humans work fluffwise?

Zambia

Quote:
Quote:
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Old 19 Mar 2010, 09:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Actually i have thought about it, and have decided to use the stormtroopers AS veterans with "grenediers" upgrade and just leave the elite's blank at the moment. I still have other sections i can fill in anyway

But i can use some help with heavy support though...i dont think that using sentinels as my only vehicles is exactly "ideal" lol.

Thanks, open to suggestions - should have a legal army list posted up soon.

Zambia

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 19 Mar 2010, 13:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I have a fully written Galactic Empire codex that is currently in the playtesting stages. You can find the info on it here: http://40kstarwars.wordpress.com/

Don't know how I feel about a counts as Guard army. None of the vehicles really make sense other than Sentinels. Carapace Vets should make acceptable Stormtroopers.
Schev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2010, 13:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I would think that the normal guardsmen could represent the Stormtroopers because those are the main force of the empire. Use the IG Stormtroopers as a more elite version, as I'm sure the Empire has elite and more heavily armored versions of their stormtroopers.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2010, 13:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thanks for the link - its nice you've put a fair amount of work into it.

Yer for the vets im just gonna use the stormtrooper models as vets which are stormtroopers if that makes sense :P Sentinels are alright for 1000pts but if i were to expand the army further i would need to convert some other vehicles and make some houserules (or use them as other units eg Trade Federation tanks running on a leman russ variant rulewise :P)

Cheers

Zambia

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 20 Mar 2010, 19:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Imperical (SW) Storm Troopers are "Elite" in the exact same way Imperial Guardsmen are supposed to be elite (as far as humans go in 40k); as in they're only skilled in the ancilliary books. Even then, stormtroopers are usually pretty awful in most star wars books. The bog standard guardsmen is a perfect one-one cross over with a stormie. The guard dex is actually probably one of the best books you can use for the Empire. guardsmen as a legion of imperial stormtroopers, Veterans and Stormtroopers (IG) as Dark Troopers, Imperial Royal Guards etc. Straken in a CCS as Vader. They're both half man/half machine, so the toughness is there and then Straken's S6 power weapon is there to be a rather fitting lightsaber. The only thing you miss out on is the force.

Sentinels make obvious AT-STs. I'm sure there's a russ variant that could easily represent an AT-AT. Valks and Vendettas as low flying TIE fighters. Unless you really want to start dipping into the more obscure backgrand from the books, the Empire didn't really use much more than Stormtroopers and the two walkers in ground combat.
Old 20 Mar 2010, 20:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

They do have heavy weapons, as can be seen in some of the large battle scenes and in the games.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2010, 21:21   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

was basically going to say what Jordan did. Also the empire doesnt use Droidekas, those are Trade Federation weapons used AGAINST the Republic prior to it's conversion to the Empire. Go look up the handful of Starwars Real Time Strategy games if you need help thinking of units.