Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vet Heavy IG VS Green Tide
Old 12 Mar 2010, 17:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Vet Heavy IG VS Green Tide

One of my group's players has recently picked up Orks and I finally got to play against his Green Tide list. I altered a common all comers list of mine slightly to accommodate the increased horde'iness of our meta game, but I still got my face pushed in. Additionally, I wanted to give Yarrick a run and he happened to end up in this list. Here's the list I used:

HQ

Commissar Yarrick - 185

Elites

Marbo - 65

Ratlings (10) - 100

Pysker Battle Squad - 165
+ 5 Psykers
+ Chimera

Troops

Vet Squad - 170
+ 3 Plasmas
+ Chimera

Vet Squad - 170
+ 3 Plasmas
+ Chimera

Vet Squad - 140
+ 3 Grenade Launchers
+ Chimera

Vet Squad - 150
+ 3 Meltas
+ Shotguns
+ Power Weapon
+ Plasma Pistol
+ Carapace

Fast Attack

Vendetta Gunship - 130

Hellhound - 130
+ Heavy Flamer

Heavy Support

LRBT - 165
+ Lascannon

Leman Russ Demolisher - 180
+ Lascannon

Total: 1750

He had 5 maxed out squads of boys on foot with sluggas and choppas, a Battlewagon with deff rolla carrying 10 Lootas, 2 units of 3 artillary (3 zapp guns, 3 kannons), and Ghazghkull.

His squads were fairly evenly spread and the board was dominated by a large mountainous cave in the center, with forest screening his advance. I tried a denied flank strategy with the bulk of my forces on the right, with the Ratlings, Hellhound, and LRBT as rearguard in the middle-left.

I was almost completely tabled by my turn on turn 4 (I went second).

My question is, what's the trick for tackling horde armies of this nature with a Vet Heavy Mechanized all-comers list? Other armies I have to consider in my playgroup are Necrons, Tyranids (normally MC heavy), Marines, Tau, Eldar, and Grey Knight heavy Daemonhunters.

I have pretty much acknowledged that I should probably run at least hull mounted flamers on my Chimeras. That probably would have helped a bit. Yarrick had epic combat against Ghazghkull in which he and his shotgun vet squad got crushed (Yarrick did not stand back up >), but he generally underperformed, and probably would have been better replaced with a kitted out CCS in a Chimera. It really didn't help that my squad got shot down out of their Vendetta, lost some, and then got charged by Ghazghkull and company.

I probably should have pulled my Hellhound and LRBT farther to the right, but there was limited room to operate (pitched battle deployment). All told I managed to put down around 40 boys before they hit me.

I'm thinking another Hellhound would help as it performed well of course, but I fear that's going to cut out viability against MEQ armies.

EDIT: I posted this in main as it's not quite an army list, not quite a battle report, but mainly a question about viable tactics vs Green Tide. If a mod feels it fits better somewhere else feel free to move it.
Schev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2010, 18:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.
Default Re: Vet Heavy IG VS Green Tide

To be honest im not seeing a huge amount of anti horde in your list.

Meltas against green tide. Vendetta against massed troops. A Valk would be far more effective with its Multiple Rocket Pods.

Infact i would say this list is mostly anti Meq/Teq and tanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2010, 18:12   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hi,

I'd say to drop lascannons and LRBT's and use the spare points more effectively for anti tank, maybe for HB sponsons.

I would also argue drop the chimeras and go for more men, more shots = more dead orks. Hiding in transports does not. f you want the chimeras they should have flamers.

I would also drop plasmas for more anti horde.

Also be glad he is using a BW and anything apart from 180 boys and as many normal warboss' and Nobs as you can cram in with the spare points.

- Will
Old 12 Mar 2010, 18:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
To be honest im not seeing a huge amount of anti horde in your list.
That's because the bulk of my meta-game is not horde. I'm trying to balance a viable list against the occasional crazy Ork horde against normally fighting T6 MCs and MEQ/mech.

Quote:
I'd say to drop lascannons and LRBT's
I had considered that as well. Probably will swap out for HBs.

Quote:
I would also argue drop the chimeras and go for more men, more shots = more dead orks.
I prefer mechanized lists, so dropping the bulk of my transports is not an acceptable option.

Quote:
I would also drop plasmas for more anti horde.
Unfortunately my level of plasma works great against the rest of my meta-game. I might consider dropping one squad to flamers or grenade launchers, but flamers seem like a huge waste of BS4. I might be able to work a small platoon in to tout some flamers.

Quote:
Also be glad he is using a BW
The BW + deff rolla was actually brutal. Took out the Hellhound and a Chimera with his ridiculous S10 attacks.

Remember, I'm not looking for simple, "how do you beat horde" advice, I'm looking for ways to reasonably counter horde (with a mechanized vet heavy list) in a meta-game that isn't heavily horde.
Old 12 Mar 2010, 21:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Uh. More flamers?

I think having them can be beneficial not in terms of against horde, but against cover saves as well, and they're pretty decent to have anyways. So far you only have a hellhound here which is gonna get bashed somehow sooner or later.

I agreed on getting some grenade launchers, it fares well alot generally, not just against horde.

Don't know about Marbo but did you even use him? My friend had horrid time with him. :P
Old 13 Mar 2010, 03:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Marbo came in, killed 5 orks with his demo charge and got shot down. I might agree that he could go away, maybe for a Heavy Flamer Scout Sentinel?
Old 13 Mar 2010, 16:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

How about griffins? It's a unit a surprising number of people don't consider, and they're cheap.
You could get two in in the place of the hellhound and those two lascannons on the russes.
If you can scrape together a third (maybe in the place of marbo, or a chimera somewhere), I think you'll have more than enough to deal with this level of horde.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
She said she can't die! She's survive even if you roast her or bake her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Should we try to boil her or fry her instead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
It's foolish for people to go out on a night like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
Who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
I'm talking about you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
No, I'm not asking who's a fool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari
So you're admitting to being a fool?
Tsumishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2010, 17:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I've also heard of people throwing in more grenade launchers. Lots of wounds equals lots of potential death, always provided dice are your friend. As mentioned flamers on chimera's are super, specially the fact you can have 2 heavies on one i believe. Range against that kinda army is very important as well, use vehicles to rush up and slow the mobs advance while your soldiers stay as far back as they can and shoot shoot shoot. Flamer equipped chimera's are also perfect for rushing up, flaming enemies and potentially exploding if they are destroyed killing even more orcs.
About that deff rolla destroying your vehicles, if I recall reading correctly, it only applies to tank shocking and not ramming. So vehicles are safe against it's S10 attacks.
Ekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2010, 17:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

I thought the new FAQ changed that about the Deffrolla, it now rams aswell. i minght be wrong though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2010, 17:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Deffrolla does ram vehicle now, it's in the FAQ. Or you can have a look at the Ork board.