Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Guard regiments & deployment
Old 10 Mar 2010, 17:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Guard regiments & deployment

This is a bit of a fluff question really...

Do Guard regiments get deployed to worlds other than their own to fight (i'm talking far away planets & systems)...

Say for eg, A Cadian Infantry regiment, could it be deployed to a completely different world to Cadia?

Also

Would an infantry regiment have tanks? not nessecarily transports, just Leman Russ' or Basilisks? Or would these come from an armoured regiment?

Cheers
Old 10 Mar 2010, 17:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to jonnyp
Default Re: Guard regiments & deployment

Guard regiments are sent to any where in the galaxy where they are needed. There is really no "deployment" zone in which only specific regiments are deployed, one day you could be on one planet and the next on your way half way across the galaxy. Granted if the warzone is close to say cadia then yes you will probably be seeing mroe cadian regiments, but you will also be seeing Krieg, catachan, or (insert random planet) regiments as well. Only planetary defence forces stay on a designated world (and even they might get moved around).

As for tanks, they will be seperate from infantry regiments. Its all part of the "spread everything out so no one can do everything" mentality of the imperium. That way when (if) a regiment turns against the imperium they will only be equiped a certain way, and thus easily defeated.

At least thats what i know...from my very limited fluff.
jonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2010, 17:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

jonnyP seems to have hit the nail on the head. For an example, read any of the gaunts ghost novels. You will see the 'Tanith first and only' taking part in a crusade that they move over multiple planets, how do you think other worlds are conquered? a random insurgency of Imperials? No way,

To answer your question quickly, yes, regiments are moved all over the galaxy to combat threats, some regiments (Such as Catachans) are even requested for certain war zones where their skills might best be put to use.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 20:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

However, I'd wager it's less likely for a Cadian regiment to get to move around a lot than some of the others - given Cadia's very nature.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2010, 00:33   #5 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick
Would an infantry regiment have tanks? not nessecarily transports, just Leman Russ' or Basilisks? Or would these come from an armoured regiment?
According to the Imperial Guard Codex, Infantry Regiments contain little else but Infantry and Tank Regiments contain little else but Tanks. It is to prevent a traitor regiment from forming an effective fighting force without corrupting an entire battle group. But yea, you do have those odd cases where you have a Tank Compani in an Infantry Regiment or an Artillery Regiment in a Tank Regiment.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2010, 01:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

My problem with that logic is that, should a Tank Comapny go all heretical, ITS A TANK COMPANY. The heaviest weapons, the toughest armour, the ability to take out any other target that can be presented to them. So how does this system prevent tratiorious behavior?

Surely having some Tanks, some heavy weapons and plenty of infantry in each company would be safet as they could all counter eachother.

Im not arguing with what you said Zenai, im just questioning the Imperials logic here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2010, 02:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

A tank company, composed of nothing but tanks, and without support, would be a useless fighting force. Without support, it would run out of fuel, be unable to relocate across certain terrain, and could be annihilated at leisure by artillery or aircraft. Combined warfare is everything; lololollotsoftankslol is meaningless.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2010, 03:05   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

go look up modern Israel's military history. It's more or less a long string of Arab countries attacking and being repulsed by clever use of mobility, combined arms, and most importantly air superiority. The Six Day War is an especially good example of air superiority stopping Command and Conquer style kekeke tank rush! tactics dead in their tracks (get it, in their tracks?!... well I thought it was funny...)

the Soviet invasion of Grozny is another good example...
Old 11 Mar 2010, 03:45   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEF Knight
tactics dead in their tracks (get it, in their tracks?!... well I thought it was funny...)
That exact same pun was used in the Rulebook, in the Ramming Skimmers section. XD

At any rate, tanks become a lot less fearsome and invincible in certain environments, like cities. Whenever cover is plentiful, it becomes easy for infantry to outflank the tank, while it becomes harder for the tank to manoeuver. And neither infantry nor tanks get very far without air support. And no single branch of the military can operate without supply lines and logistics. It's a well-oiled machine, with multiple components working in cohesion.
Tetrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2010, 14:15   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Tank companies would have their support vehicles with them to provide fuel and ammunition, etc. The same would go for infantry regiments. You just never hear of these because nobody wants to hear the story of the guy who sits in the back and drives the fuel truck all damn day.

There is a new book out called Cadian Blood in which a bunch of different regiments from different worlds are sent to a shrine world to reclaim it from the Death Guard. It happens all the time, in fact it would probably be safe to assume that almost any fighting the IG does it will use regiments from other worlds, as the reserves of one planet are hardly sufficient for large scale battles. We all know how much the IG loves to use overwhelming force.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote