Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

bane wolf vs hell hound
Old 10 Mar 2010, 01:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to jonnyp
Default bane wolf vs hell hound

This is really a two part question, both of which relate to the death korps army i am in the process of making.

1. Which is better in game? For me its more which is going to be racking up the kills more effectively. I know the hell hound has the range and a S6 AP4 flamer is nothing to laugh at, but does the 2+ wound AP 3 chem cannon more worth the 130 pts.

2. Which sounds more fluffy for death korps? They both work, i mean both are equally suited to the types of battles krieg units are usually in, as both can clear out bunkers and the like.
jonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2010, 02:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: bane wolf vs hell hound

As is so often the case, I would say it depends on the situation (also known as your local meta-game if you run all-comers lists).

Against hordes you probably want the Hellhound as it gives you a little more range from the mean gribblies that are coming to beat on your rear armor with lots of attacks. It also negates almost all horde armor.

Against MEQ you probably want the Bane Wolf as it's more effective against their armor. That said, it's going to need support or to go after outliers or targets of opportunity not to die in assault. I think squads of 2 Bane Wolves could be really effective together.

Granted, both have the added advantage of being able to move 12" and thus demanding 6's to hit them in combat. I think smoke launchers are probably a good deal to protect them for a turn until they get into range.

Personally I favor the Hellhound overall because I just don't care for Flamer ranged weapons, but that's more of an arbitrary personal bias. I would say that the Bane Wolf sounds more Death Korps-like to me.

Edit: The real question here for competitive lists should be - are either worth taking up slots that could be used by Valks / Vendettas?
Schev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2010, 02:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The list will be more fluff then competitve, sure i want it to win some games, but not at the expense of totally ruining what death korps does. So no valks or vendettas or thier likes.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 02:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

That's what I figured, but I felt the point had to be at least made just in case. I honestly love all of the fast tanks. I think they offer great diversity and uniqueness to mech guard that can otherwise be kind of stale.
Schev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2010, 17:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

What's not to love some tank shooting poison gas like in WW1? I think it's more fitting,fluff wise.

Go for Bane Wolf, I say.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 04:16   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

the other thing to consider is:

a hell hound will basically put a slightly better flamer, slightly farther away, mounted on a Chimera chassis. You're army has flamers out the wazoo. flamers, heavy flamers on every tank, APC, infantry, cavalry, walker, HQ, bunny rabbit, squig, hair and mote of the imperial guard existence. The IG artillery can get flamers for god's sakes.

What, however, mounts an anti-MEQ poison/corrosive gas launcher that gives automatic 2+ to wound and cuts through all but the toughest armour like butter? don't forget, your Bane Wolf also 2+ wounds any non vehicle. Monstrous creatures, big burly chapter masters, TEQs, you name it. It is unique, the Hell Hound is not.

...then again, the Bane Wolf seems a tad bit overpowered to me personally, so your "not so competitive list" might end up romping some armies *cough nidzilla cough*
Old 11 Mar 2010, 10:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'll answer your first question IMO for you. The second question I'll have to do some research.

I pretty much have the same dilema on should I take the bane wolf or the hellhound. IMO the hellhound have the benefit of range but the bane wolf can actually deal out more damage on the move.

Both vehicles can move 18" max and move 12" and be able to fire. So in turn 1 you can shoot with the hound while the banewolf you're forced to move up and blow smoke.

The hellhound is more of a range vehicle and can fire behind chimeras for great troop support. The range also reduce the chance of being assaulted as well. If you're going against any army with a save of 3 or higher it's still not bad but the wolf would be better.

The bane wolf is pretty good cause it can fire 2 flamers at a 12" movement. Since the special weapon is under str 4 it's concidered to be defensive. So you can shoot a heavy flamer and follow up with the ap 3 flamer. Some argue wound allocation. If you're flaming anything with a +4 save or worst this really wouldn't matter. Against 3+ saves it becomes an issue where you have to choose to just use the chem attack and not the heavy flamer too.

I'll say go with the wolf cause it can do swarms and meqs. On 18" movement with smoke the vehicle would be hard to take out. Also running more than one with chimeras helps with surviveability.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 13:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

The short range of the Bane Wolf needs support, so if you like to advance slowly with your entire army, they would be a great choice for you. I would take them in squadrons of at least 2. Their speed will allow them to get into position quickly, and can possible get at units that can't be immediately supported, as they will come under fire quite early in the game. If you're fighting a lot of MEQ lists the Bane Wolf is an excellent choice.

The Hellhound has a pretty great range for a template weapon, and that's the key to using it. You want to keep it at range as much as possible. Once again, the speed of these vehicles is the main asset you have to keeping them alive. If you fight a lot of horde armies then this would be your better choice. Due to the size of most squads in horde lists, I would also say to take them in squadrons of at least 2.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2010, 14:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

The cool thing about the Bane Wolf, is that the chem cannon is a defensive weapon. Therefore as the tank is fast, you can move 12" and still fire it, and the heavy flamer.

The hellhound can still move 12" and fire it's flamer, but can only fire one weapon. It does have the added bonus of range.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2010, 15:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thx for all the help . I still dont really know which to take, but ill probably do some proxy battles with both and see which fits better into my overall strategy. On that not i should probably tell you how they will be used.

My list will be a hybrid gunline/mech, with several 3-4 veteran squads in chimeras +the hellhounds/bane wolves moving across the board, while a bunch of autocannons, lascannons, 2 LRBT, a 2 griffins and a master of the ordinance hammer the crap out of their army. Sounds pretty simple yeah?