Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Apocalypse: 5000 Points
Old 09 Mar 2010, 06:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to DarkKnightCuron Send a message via MSN to DarkKnightCuron
Default Apocalypse: 5000 Points

I'm looking for general suggestions for an upcoming Apocalypse game. It will be roughly 20k per side, with each team consisting of four, 5000-Point armies.

Right now, as I'm still fiddling with it, I'm thinking of just bringing my Mechanized Guard to the table. I'll be borrowing some stuff to flesh the army out, so don't worry about what I don't have. The only limitation is that I'm allowed one super-heavy, so I'm likely bringing the Baneblade.

At 5000 Points, I could likely bring 4 Full Platoons of Chimeras plus the HQ (so roughly 25 Chimera) along with enough Basilisks and Leman Russ support. Not sure on Sentinels mostly due to how easily they could be removed from the field, but I'll leave that up to you guys for the suggestions.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 13:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Apocalypse: 5000 Points

At 5k points with 3 teammembers, I would just bring as much long range firepower as is possible. Basilisks and LRBT's are wonderful. Sentinels are usefull, as your opponent will most likely be focusing on your more powerful units, allowing them to stay free. Put some lascannons on there and you're got a pretty powerful unit. They can also hide in some terrain for a little more survivability. You could also use them to outflank to pop some of the enemy artillery or tie up one of their long range firepower squads.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2010, 14:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to DarkKnightCuron Send a message via MSN to DarkKnightCuron

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
At 5k points with 3 teammembers, I would just bring as much long range firepower as is possible. Basilisks and LRBT's are wonderful. Sentinels are usefull, as your opponent will most likely be focusing on your more powerful units, allowing them to stay free. Put some lascannons on there and you're got a pretty powerful unit. They can also hide in some terrain for a little more survivability. You could also use them to outflank to pop some of the enemy artillery or tie up one of their long range firepower squads.
I appreciate the advice. Turns out my three teammates consist of Blood Angels, Space Wolves, and Black Templars. All three have expressed the need on my end to be able to hold the objectives on our side of the table while they go piercing into the enemy territory, so support units and a large amount of troops are needed...especially mobile troop, so I'm afraid I won't be able to spam too many sheavy support units. HOWEVER, I like where you're going with that thought process, as it helps confirm my choices already, as well as add a point to the Sentinel field.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 14:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

You could still take lots of heavy support, just grap a lot of Chimeras too so you can hold objectives and keep your troops protected. If 3/4 of your army is going to directly assault the enemy then you'll be relatively safe back there, just be sure to include some fast units like hellhounds or something to deal with outflankers or deep strikers.

Old 12 Mar 2010, 20:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

as you said before, take 3 maybe 4 mech platoons and kit them out to work independently, then get yourself an emperors wrath artillery company to provide fire sopport and then a emperors fist tank company, then a baneblade to ancor the lot.
field marshel R Ironballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2010, 21:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

That's alot of Space Marines. I find that lonely, Curon. :P

Loads of artie, and I think a few batteries of Manticore and Hydra sounds tempting too. Shoot those damn Land Speeders down!
Old 13 Mar 2010, 06:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by field marshal R Ironballs
as you said before, take 3 maybe 4 mech platoons and kit them out to work independently, then get yourself an emperors wrath artillery company to provide fire sopport and then a emperors fist tank company, then a baneblade to ancor the lot.
That was my general train of thought. If I keep everything mobile, the sheer amount of tablespace for this game isn't nearly as intimidating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobb
That's alot of Space Marines. I find that lonely, Curon. :P

Loads of artie, and I think a few batteries of Manticore and Hydra sounds tempting too. Shoot those damn Land Speeders down!
I think you're mis-informed; Those Space marines are my allies. The 20,000 points that are going to be fighting against us? Nothing but pure Tyrannids...
Old 13 Mar 2010, 10:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I would recommend some protection from DSers then, since the new Nid codex is all about that.

Old 13 Mar 2010, 15:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware of that. Why not take more tanks? Some plates will hurt alot anyways. Maybe Hellhounds too.
Old 13 Mar 2010, 16:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hi

I would say that Hellhounds would be great and all your chimeras with flamers if you want chimeras.

Plenty of basalisks and LRBT's are a must and if you can throw in a deathstrike, 'for teh lols' it would be amazing.

Really I would say if you can put in some HWS's with autocannons and HB's would be good.

- Will