Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Thinking of starting IG
Old 24 Feb 2010, 19:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Thinking of starting IG

Hi,

I am thinking of starting IG and already own a leman russ demolisher/eradicator (can be swapped around) as I use it for my orks as a looted wagon (not converted though).

I am thinking of starting with 2 battle forces and a command squad and a normal leman russ.

Is this a good start?

What would you reccommend?

- Will
Old 24 Feb 2010, 20:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman
Default Re: Thinking of starting IG

2 battleforces will get you your Company Command squad and a Platoon command squad (stilll getting over the habit of calling them senior and junior), with plenty of options, a pair of sentinels, 2 heavy weapon teams and 4 squads of guys. Add your Demolisher and you have a fantastic starting army!

Throwing in another Russ would be good, you could also get some transports to haul some of those guys around in. Maybe a couple of chimeras, possibly a valk. What kind of army do you want to have?Mech, horde, fast, balanced?
Old 24 Feb 2010, 20:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

That's a pretty solid start, though of course you'll need a slew of additional special weapons and probably a handful of Chimeras at least.

It's really unfortunate how prohibitive special weapon blisters can be to new Guard players, especially if you run Veteran heavy. 4 Plasmas/Meltas in CCS and 3 in Vet squad X 2. That's 7 SW blisters. =(

End Lament.
Schev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2010, 16:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks for the replies.

I quite like the idea of masses of troops covered by fire from plenty of LRBT's and their varients and probably foot slog the guardsmen as I want the only tanks to be LRBT's as I think it would look awesome.

However would this be effective?

It would have LRBT's for anti tank and anti infantry plus some heavy weapons teams (ones with Lascannons and others with auto cannons)

- Will
Old 25 Feb 2010, 16:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman

As you wouldn't have any chimeras, you could effectively have twice as many guardsmen as a pure mech list. They will die fast. But you'll have loads, probably with spec. weapons in each squad (I wouldn't recommend heavy weapons in infantry squads) Lots of nade launchers to provoke people (and strength 6 aint bad for hitting vehicles) flamers to punish people who get too close, and maybe some plasma when you encounter some marines. A squad of vets with carapace and maxed plasmas or meltas in your mass of guardsmen would help wonders. Your junior squad can also get 3 special weapons. I like to give mine three flamers and stick him behind his platoon.

Your heavy support should do fine in supporting your infantry line. Although this isn't as super-competative as all mech, it's still effective, and more fun to play anyway.

In terms of the Leman Russ variants, you're better off with the main battle tank. It's cheapest, has the most range, and the best all-round weapon. If you want a variant I would go with one of te demolisher's, although once again the D-cannon is the most effective and cheapest. Punisher cannon with x3 heavy bolters and a stubber can put out a shit ton of fire though! And 6 small blast plasma shots from the executioner is nothing to scoff at.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 16:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I agree with what Schev said. Not alot of those bloody meltas or flamers to go by. Lest you order or convert them.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 16:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpspiderman
As you wouldn't have any chimeras, you could effectively have twice as many guardsmen as a pure mech list. They will die fast. But you'll have loads, probably with spec. weapons in each squad (I wouldn't recommend heavy weapons in infantry squads) Lots of nade launchers to provoke people (and strength 6 aint bad for hitting vehicles) flamers to punish people who get too close, and maybe some plasma when you encounter some marines. A squad of vets with carapace and maxed plasmas or meltas in your mass of guardsmen would help wonders. Your junior squad can also get 3 special weapons. I like to give mine three flamers and stick him behind his platoon.

Your heavy support should do fine in supporting your infantry line. Although this isn't as super-competative as all mech, it's still effective, and more fun to play anyway.

In terms of the Leman Russ variants, you're better off with the main battle tank. It's cheapest, has the most range, and the best all-round weapon. If you want a variant I would go with one of te demolisher's, although once again the D-cannon is the most effective and cheapest. Punisher cannon with x3 heavy bolters and a stubber can put out a shtlk ton of fire though! And 6 small blast plasma shots from the executioner is nothing to scoff at.
This is basically the idea I am going for as I can expand into mech if I want to later but foot slogging with masses of men is the way I imagine IG.

I'll run one sentinel as a scout and the other as armoured which will give me a bit of a way to contest an objective on the far side without pouring men into it and instead focus on rampaging them at the enemy in huge masses, also the sentinel should act as a helpful decoy for some firepower as I get into my rapid fire range.

I like the idea of three flamers in a single squad as I like ork burnas (run ten) but am annoyed that these ones aren't also power weapons (damn orks and their primative tech :P).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobb
I agree with what Schev said. Not alot of those bloody meltas or flamers to go by. Lest you order or convert them.
Not too much of a problem as I won't be using many, IMO points better used on more platoons .

- Will
Old 26 Feb 2010, 23:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Flamers are excellent against nids and orks.
I always have at least one squad of vets with with a heavy flamer and two normal flamers and a few dispersed in my platoon squads flamers. It reaps havoc when going up against assault type armies.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 23:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

For melta's and plasmas there is a few ways to deal with the issue.

1. Around 12 dollars you get 1 plasma and 1 melta metal gunners.

2. Buy a 5 pack of metal plasma or melta guns for 8 dollars.

3. Forge world sells 8 rifles, 2 plasma, 2 melta, 2 pistols, 2 sniper, 2 flame, and 2 grenade weapons fir Elysian troops for around 20 dollars.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 01:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

That's what I extremely hate about GW. If only GW sells bits in a jar for cheaper price, I bet I can arm every gun line with shotguns and meltas for fun.