Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

 

Warhammer 40K Forum

Scout Sent.s vs vendettas
Reply
Old 15 Feb 2010, 18:49   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3
Default Scout Sent.s vs vendettas

I'm looking to field some mobile lascannons but am stuck between the two. i like the scout ability, which is why I'm not considering the armoured version of the sent. my question is this. three scouts with lascannons vs a single vendetta. they cost about the same but the vendetta has a bit more armour value and three twin linked lascannons, plus the heavy bolter spoons if payed for. am not concerned about its transport ability. is it enough to consider since if the vendetta goes down all is lost.
malleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2010, 19:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.
Posts: 5,841
Default Re: Scout Sent.s vs vendettas

The Vendetta can do anything the Sentinal can do, it can move faster, and those Lascannons are Twin-Linked, plus the Heavy Bolters. The transport capacity is also vey useful, and if you have it you will soon find a reason to make use of it

the scouting and outflanking make it very very manuverable.

On the other hand, people wont hate you for taking 3 sentinals with lascannon.

I thought only the Armoured Sentinals could take lascannons though. :-\
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
It is (and this is an objective statement, looking at examples over the last century) really ****ing hard to terrorise the British.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2010, 19:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: morthamptonshire
Posts: 180
Default Re: Scout Sent.s vs vendettas

The vendetta without qustion. its just sooo much more efficient
field marshel R Ironballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2010, 19:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,327
Send a message via MSN to ollieb8
Default Re: Scout Sent.s vs vendettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
The Vendetta can do anything the Sentinal can do, it can move faster, and those Lascannons are Twin-Linked, plus the Heavy Bolters. The transport capacity is also vey useful, and if you have it you will soon find a reason to make use of it

the scouting and outflanking make it very very manuverable.

On the other hand, people wont hate you for taking 3 sentinals with lascannon.

I thought only the Armoured Sentinals could take lascannons though. :-\
Agree with all of this plus it is very cheap for what it can do which makes it even better.
However, heavy bolters I disagree as they are main weapons. :huh:
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
Edit: Silk Spectre wins the thread.
[spoiler=40K Clones]Wanna play as clones in 40K?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
I'm amazed at how balanced this is. I salute you.
[/spoiler]
ollieb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2010, 19:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.
Posts: 5,841
Default Re: Scout Sent.s vs vendettas

They may be main weapons but consider that once you have scouted to your target, you dont really need to move more than 6 inches a turn because of the range of the weapons. Plus those 6 shots give you good firepower against Horde type opponants.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
It is (and this is an objective statement, looking at examples over the last century) really ****ing hard to terrorise the British.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2010, 20:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,245
Default Re: Scout Sent.s vs vendettas

Scout sentinels can certainly take Las cannons, i use two in my army! It makes them great for a surprise anti tank unit. When you say a vendetta is more effective, do you mean more survivable? in that case yes, but it can be bought down by a single shot! where as a squad of sentinels will take a few shots, they are more versatile. Its like spreading your eggs out rather than all in one basket!
__________________
Sorry if my posts are messy or unreadable. My keyboard is naff!
warriorchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2010, 20:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.
Posts: 5,841
Default Re: Scout Sent.s vs vendettas

That is very true, but the Sentinals can be bought down by regular troop fire, unless your playing against more Guard. The Vendetta require some actual Anti Vehicle fire to do it.

In the end i suppose its all down to what the OP wants out of the unit. if he fills it with Vets with Plasma it will be devestating against everything, thus increasing the units flexability,

However, the sentials are likely to draw less fire until they start actually killing things, the Vendetta is a big target from the off, the model is huge, and people can see that its going to be immediatly dangerous. The risk is slighty off set by its out flank abilities and its deep strike abilities however.

Im still going to say the Vendetta, because for the points you pay for a unit that versatile and powerful, its almost expendable. if you get it to fire for even one turn, chances are what you were firing at will be gone, plus the psycological impact of it is great. For example, because i know my Guard opponant spams Lascannon and Plasma, I HAVE TO give every Crisis suit a Shield Generator, and Shield Drones where I can, just to have a chance. thats and extra 60-90 points per unit, just to stay alive for more than two turn. Thats 340 points in my army list JUST for shielding systems, that i could get another 3 Broadsides for, or 2 Ionheads, or 2.5 Firewarrior teams. When you realise that the Vendetta Plasma Combo encourages this kind of thinking and preperation, psycology is a very effective tool.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
It is (and this is an objective statement, looking at examples over the last century) really ****ing hard to terrorise the British.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2010, 00:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 8,901
Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Re: Scout Sent.s vs vendettas

why do people ask these questions?

Both perform VERY different battle field roles.

And their costs are not even close to the same for each (you get 3 for 1 vendetta).

__________________
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2010, 01:01   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,814
Default Re: Scout Sent.s vs vendettas

The weapon load-outs, and numbers, are similar enough though that people will try to use them similarly.

I choose the Vendetta myself, I see it doing almost everything (when done up properly) than a like amount of Sentinels.
__________________


Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2010, 01:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 8,901
Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Re: Scout Sent.s vs vendettas

your missing the oppertunity of the sentinels over the vendetta though.

The vendetta will be a higher priority target than 3 sentinels.

Sentinels have access to auto cannons (better for side hunting and MC hunting than las cannons for them).

3 sentinels will be cheaper.

sentinels can tarpit in combat

sentinels can move, shoot and assault

Sentinels dont take dangerous terrain checks in difficult terrain

Heavy sentinels can be given scout by creed (making their expense worth it)

Sentinels can get cover far far easier than vendettas.

1 dead sentinels means 2 left.
1 dead vendetta means none left




most of you are only looking at the weapon option + transport for your choices... which is foolish.


The only reason I dont have sentinels in my list, cause I dont have the models yet (and wont for some time), plus 7 valks look sweet :P
__________________
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vendettas and New Tyranids Schev Imperial Guard 3 19 Jan 2010 12:44
dealing with vendettas and veterans The Man They Call Jayne Tau 18 23 Jun 2009 15:26
Tau Scout rider_eragon House Rules 7 20 Jul 2008 00:57
DA Scout Jeebus Showcase 12 18 Dec 2007 00:04
Personal Vendettas Vash113 General 40K 23 15 Jan 2007 15:57