Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My friend's interested in guard, any pointers?
Old 11 Feb 2010, 18:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default My friend's interested in guard, any pointers?

Right, well I think I've managed to get my friend into 40k as we had quite a fun game over the weekend (I set up 2 armies from the models I own). I played Tau and he got some CSMs. During the battle he was footslogging his way towards my gunline which did a fair amount of damage but broke very quickly when his marines engaged in combat.
Afterwards, I showed him the armies available and he liked the idea of the gunline that I'd used but he wanted something a bit better in combat. So, long story short, I suggested guard and he's asked for my help in creating a list (one of my favourite things about this hobby).

The thing is, I don't know much about guard however I know a fair amount about 40k in general so much of this won't be new to me.

To the point, I'd like to know what sort of army types guard have, (I've heard of air cav, mechanised ect but I'm not quite sure what several of them mean).
In short, he wants an army with a solid gunline, some big tanks/valks ect and he wan't sit all to be fairly cheap (I know, not the best hobby for that but I'll do my best) so we'll start with a lower points cost, maybe 750 to 1000pts at first and hopefully we'll move towards 2000 later on.

Right, cheers in advance for any and all help.
Old 11 Feb 2010, 18:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.
Default Re: My friend's interested in guard, any pointers?

Guard have just about every playstyle availiable to them.

Mechanised: This involves putting all the troops into Chimeras and having a wall of Tanks and Sentinals to back them up.

Air Cavalry: Very similare, but your troops will be in Valkryies and Vendettas, with fewer long range weapon systems like Basilisks to provide some blasts, although if you have enough Vendettas you wont need them.

These two are the most expensive setups money wise as you need lots of vehicles.

Gunline: Lots of Men, Heavy Weapons Platforms and lots of Tanks, this army will use sheer weight of fire to crush all its oponants and can engage any type of target you care to mention.

The main point to consider with I.G is that you can field alot at all points costs because they are all so cheap points wise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2010, 20:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammerz
Right, well I think I've managed to get my friend into 40k as we had quite a fun game over the weekend (I set up 2 armies from the models I own). I played Tau and he got some CSMs. During the battle he was footslogging his way towards my gunline which did a fair amount of damage but broke very quickly when his marines engaged in combat.
Afterwards, I showed him the armies available and he liked the idea of the gunline that I'd used but he wanted something a bit better in combat. So, long story short, I suggested guard and he's asked for my help in creating a list (one of my favourite things about this hobby).

The thing is, I don't know much about guard however I know a fair amount about 40k in general so much of this won't be new to me.

To the point, I'd like to know what sort of army types guard have, (I've heard of air cav, mechanised ect but I'm not quite sure what several of them mean).
In short, he wants an army with a solid gunline, some big tanks/valks ect and he wan't sit all to be fairly cheap (I know, not the best hobby for that but I'll do my best) so we'll start with a lower points cost, maybe 750 to 1000pts at first and hopefully we'll move towards 2000 later on.

Right, cheers in advance for any and all help.
-lots of troops
-2 tanks
-some chimeras
-1 valkyrie(you can say it's a vendetta if you want)
-a commisar
-heavy weapons team
-command squad

You're done :cookie:

-Mike Tyson
Super heavy gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2010, 10:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammerz
Air cavalry is pretty much everything in a valkyrie or a vendetta.

Mechanised is everything is either in or is a vehicle (my favourite).

Footslogging is lots of troops overwhelming the enemy.

Gunline is whatever stays still and shoots lots of weapons so expect plenty of tanks and heavy weapon teams.

If he wants a gunline I would advise:

2 Leman russ (or varients thereof)
A command squad
2-3 Heavy weapons teams
Lots of troops in platoons (a big combined squad with first rank fire hurts a lot)
Then anything else that takes his fancy such as manticores deathstrike, it doesn't hurt to have a mobile element either.

One thing i would say is a static gunline can be quite boring and personally I would go down the mechanised route usign chimeras to push eenmy squads about while you fire from inside. Air cavalry is very expensive to build so it probably rules that out.
Old 17 Feb 2010, 04:08   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Personally i'd get a battle force first, it has all the basic stuff you need to form a guard army. Then a battle tank or variant. Personally i love the demolisher. This will give you some well armored heavy hitting power. Another 2 squads of infantry next, use 5 men from a normal infantry squad to make a cheap platoon command squad. stick 2 squads of men in that platoon and maybe some heavy weapons. Use the other squad as a veteran squad and spam flamers until you buy the other models in the blisters. A chimera to put those guys in would help as well(or valk/Vendetta). From there you just buy what ever he fancies, and you've got a pretty decent guard army
Davicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2010, 15:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

The Demolishe is good, however I would advise that he get a LRBT to start as it is the most versatil of the Leman Russ family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote