Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Best Desert/Wasteland Scheme [Now With Uploaded Photos]
Old 03 Feb 2010, 10:56   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Best Desert/Wasteland Scheme [Now With Uploaded Photos]

I'm pretty settled on a desert/wasteland scheme for my IG list but I'm not sure exactly how to go about it. Bear in mind I am an 'average' painter and prefer quick techniques (drybrushing/washes etc) to very complex techniques that require many different paints and lots of patience and spare time.

I'm not too keen on the desert schemes on the GW site.
I'd like the keep the scheme quite light.
I'd like to see schemes that use GW paints (or paints easy to get hold of in the UK). One major problem I encounter is different hobbyists using all kinds of obscure brands and exotic paints only available in thier part of the world.

At the moment the closest idea I have of what I want is based off this photo of the British Royal Marines:

So yeah, please post pictures/links of the best desert/wasteland schemes you've seen. Not necessarily the best painting, but rather the scheme itself.

Thanks for any help.
Old 03 Feb 2010, 11:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Best Desert/Wasteland Scheme...please help!

Hey I feel you on the 'quick' paint idea man.

Best advice I ever heard was what the 'Ral Partha' fig company gave out as a pamphlet

the 3-stage paint job

works well for natural, gritty, realistic looking figs as opposed to bright cartoonish things

first stage is the base coat
everything goes over black

lets all the cracks stay dark

second stage is the main color... which (for natural type color schemes) is probably very earthytone. for 'desert' that could be some kind of light brown, maybe a dull yellow, companies dont matter a color is a color. (GW will assassinate me tomorrow for saying that)

then you drybrush it up with some white mixed with main color, which pulls up the edging details
then you wash it down with some black mixed with main color, which fills in the cracks and gives everything a kind of solidified look.

bam bam bam
basecoat, dry, wash
earthytones are good for this simplicity technique. just wash your wash down well enough much diluted, unless you want to play the army of the mudmen. I've made some Afro-Americans out of marine sarges before cuz I didn't dilute it enough to keep them nice and aryan like we assume they should be.

For EVERY paintjob, look first at the basic colors.
for me its RED YELLOW BLUE BLACK WHITE

yellow with a bit of black and red makes desert dirt

for a games workshop painter its 'skaven brown, chaos black, buttcrack brown, and so on, but they are all ultimately just a mix of basic colors. Then make your wash by a bit more of whatever is deserty looking (like dark brownish yellowish?) It's so friggin simple. I bet you could teach a class of kids to do it.

if you have a camera make some photos as you go i like to see that stuff and lots of people here do too.

Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2010, 11:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqOowCEJNew

There's a video a recommend you watch, especially for the colour of the fatigues.
Old 03 Feb 2010, 13:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

For my desert Orks I use Desert Yellow as a base and Kommando Khaki as the camo.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2010, 18:43   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

I say your base would be khemri brown, followed up by dheneb stone as your camo stripes, and highlight with Khemri brown + bleached bone and Dheneb stone + bleached bone respectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2010, 20:31   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftercresent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqOowCEJNew

There's a video a recommend you watch, especially for the colour of the fatigues.
Thanks that's an awesome tutorial shame I couldn't find one specifically for desert-themed IG! I'll definitely try the foundation+wash route though, it's similar to how I have painted in the past (but that used to be 'normal paint+ink&#39.
Old 04 Feb 2010, 21:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hey Rez, I think that video at least provides a sort of basis to work off of. I think the white primer+Gryphonne Sepia wash will provide a good colour for your desert scheme!
In fact, I want to try it out now!
Old 04 Feb 2010, 21:44   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Haha I just ordered a crapton of painting supplies. Cost me £90 but should be enough for the next year or two. :P

That's a big problem with getting out of the hobby - all your paints dry up, all the 'bitz' get thrown out or lost, all your models get dusty and break. It's expensive to start up again. I bought the foundation and wash kits, white and desert yellow primer and various standard and metallic paints. Oh and some Army Painter brushes.

Yeah like I said I was impressed with the video. Tabletop results very quickly and easily - the clip was done well too.
Old 12 Feb 2010, 23:24   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Update - I was planning on posting these in the painting board but I figured I most as well post them here for you to compare. Plus it's the scheme I want C&C on, not my distinctly average painting skills!

I've painted three models - two Sergeants (Power Sword and Power Fist) and my Commander (Boltgun) in three different camo schemes to see which I prefer. In the end I'm not really any closer to deciding, so I may have to do one unit in each scheme. :P I thought I'd post them here to see which scheme you guys prefer. Please excuse the unfinished bases I haven't decided how to paint them yet.

Sergeant #1 (who will be leading my Veteran squad)
This guy has a kind of tiger stripe pattern. Of the three variations it is probably the quickest to paint.
[table]
[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
[hr]
Sergeant #2 (who will be leading one of the Infantry squads)
Based on the photo at the star of the thread. Didn't come out as good as I had hoped but still quite pleased with it! The model's head is comically oversized IMO.
[table]
[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
[hr]
Commander
I was struggling for ideas so I used the urban camo suggestion on the GW site modified for desert fighting. Pleased with how it came out.
[table]
[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
[hr]

Please let me know what you think. Not just the camo necessarily either, tell me what you think works and what doesn't (I've used different methods for the skin on each, and the weapons/metal and straps). Personally I was dissapointed with the powerfist, the colour I used looks too much like the sprue plastic so it just looks unpainted. :-\
Old 15 Feb 2010, 08:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Best Desert/Wasteland Scheme [Now With Uploaded Photos]

For the British troops, i'd say camo 2 is the most similar , although i must admit i dont like the models...purely because they are 80s rambo catachan ;D -great painting though!