Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The deathstrike missle launcher-what a frickin waste
Closed Thread
Old 28 Jan 2010, 20:05   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default The deathstrike missle launcher-what a frickin waste

To discuss the one and only con of this vehicle, that if solved, all other cons go away, i will simpll put it like this-it's blast radius sucks.

The blast radius is D3+6 inches. that means, its highest radius can be 9 inches. Ya, it does have AP 1 and str 10, but one shot only? please tell me if im wrong, and show me how the blast radius actually works, hopefully- 3D +6

-Mike Tyson
Old 28 Jan 2010, 20:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: The deathstrike missle launcher-what a frickin waste

This is a blast radius, Heavy. Not a diameter. So, if you roll even your lowest, which is 7, you're looking at a blast template which is 14" across. That's almost 3 times bigger than the Ordnance blast!

If it were 3D6 + 6 as you're imagining... Holy crap. It would have a potential of a 48" diameter. That is ridiculously massive and will kill everything on both sides of the game.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 21:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

For reference, the Large Blast template has a 2.5 inch radius.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 21:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

It is D3+3 not +6, that is the radius so you get a 8-12" blast template. That is still bigger than the big Apoc blast template. :P
Old 28 Jan 2010, 21:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

still, i just measured that and it would be good against a squadron of heavy men or tanks but not hordes.

-Mike Tyson
Old 28 Jan 2010, 21:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

Target this blast properly, and that 1 shot will remove a Leman Russ Squadron from the table. 600 pnts of tanks, gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
Old 28 Jan 2010, 21:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super heavy gunner
still, i just measured that and it would be good against a squadron of heavy men or tanks but not hordes.
The deathstrike is the equivalent of an apocalypse vortex missile (not quite, but go with it) when you fire it, just about anything you fire at is dead. I played with one in a mega game and targeted a squadron of leman russes surrounded by a bunch of guardsmen (I was on the chaos side) and wiped all of them out (after some lucky rolling) the unwounded guardsmen ran of the table. In other words, I took out about 700 +/- points in a single shot but I got ridiculously lucky, that's why for this vehicle I say maybe it's definantly not a staple for my army.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 22:56   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super heavy gunner
So what? It isn't supposed to be an "I win" weapon. The Guard already have plenty of weapons to use against Hordes.
Old 29 Jan 2010, 01:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

As others have mentioned, the Deathstrike Missile has a variable radius, not a variable diameter. Basically, another way to size the Deathstrike Missile's blast size is (D3+3)x2. That means a blast that ranges from 8" to 12". That's 12 inches, as in a foot. That is bloody huge! How can that not hurt a horde?

Hive Fleet Omukade: 8/0/0
Raven Guard: 8/2/0

Latest Result: Wipeout victory for the Tyranids!

Old 29 Jan 2010, 02:28   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Remember when you were sitting in geometry class thinking, "When the hell am I ever going to use this knowledge?"

Yea... this is that time.

Closed Thread