Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How to utterly destroy those irritating tau
Old 27 Jan 2010, 18:31   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default How to utterly destroy those irritating tau

Hey i mostly play with my guards against Tau because my friends play the tay but i always get wiped away due to their rapidfire and stupid railguns who destroy my tanks like it is nothing. what can i do to utterly destroy them and secure victory for my army?
Glenovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2010, 19:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: How to utterly destroy those irritating tau

You left out a lot of important information, but I'll take a shot at it anyway. I'm assuming you run heavy to Leman Russ tanks and lots of foot-slogging troops, and your opponent runs a highly mechanized list? In my experience, even railguns have a hard time taking down AV 14 vehicles, especially if they can claim obscured target, so hide your big tanks behind some terrain. Beyond that, dealing with the Tau (from either side) is all about getting the proper positioning. That first barrage of rapid-fire when the infantry come out of the transport is punishing, but he can only do it if you let the transports live. If you have infantry on the table rather than in transports, make his transports your primary target. Since Tau and mechanized Guard are very similar, watch what your opponent does and see what you can learn. Minor changes to his tactics should work well for you.

Remember the Tau's main weaknesses. The well-known one is how useless they are in close combat, but there is another one that is almost as important. Their leadership sucks. Anything but a commander is going to be Leadership 8, which is pretty easy to break, and kroot without the overpriced shaper are only Leadership 7. If you can do 25% casualties to an infantry squad, they might fall back. Since Tau like to outrange their opponents they will be pretty close to the board edge and likely to make it to the edge in one Fall Back.

Oh, and if he's playing a Ninja Tau list, take your Master of the Fleet or whoever it is that can mess with the other guy's reserve rolls.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2010, 19:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Can't you IG players give your tanks some upgrade that means they are an obscured target? If you can I would recommend them on everything you can put it on. I think they are camo nets?
W o K
Old 27 Jan 2010, 19:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

1- storm troopers, and valkyries. these two usually go together, but quicly getting right next to tau means immeadiate win, unless they use kroot, which they probably wont.

2-hidden artillery. bomb the crud out of there bunkers so they have to move, right into your crosshairs.

3-heavy weapons teams. a railcannon will kill one guy, but 5 extra guys left with 3 las cannons? i doubt that hammerhead will survive. and for the tanks immeadiatly dying? use extra armor and trackguards, and those tanks wont be a problem.

4-vendettas. If you're still afraid of those tau tanks, then use 3 twin-linked las cannons. skimmers are *ssholes, because they are so hard to hit. unless you have the hydra flak tank, but tau dont have that tank.

-Mike Tyson
Super heavy gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2010, 19:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will of Kaos
Can't you IG players give your tanks some upgrade that means they are an obscured target? If you can I would recommend them on everything you can put it on. I think they are camo nets?
W o K
Camo nets give +1 if you have a cover save and havent moved. The Tau disruption pods give the vehicle a 4+ cover save regardless for cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super heavy gunner
3-heavy weapons teams. a railcannon will kill one guy, but 5 extra guys left with 3 las cannons? i doubt that hammerhead will survive. and for the tanks immeadiatly dying? use extra armor and trackguards, and those tanks wont be a problem.
Yes, but the railgun can go subammunition, hit all the models and instant death them, leaving you with zero lascannons! Lascannon teams are very effective at popping the tanks, too, but they're dead as soon as your Tau opponent wants them to be. You have to keep them out of range, in cover, and hope he'll shoot everything at the Russes.

Quote:
4-vendettas. If you're still afraid of those tau tanks, then use 3 twin-linked las cannons. skimmers are *ssholes, because they are so hard to hit. unless you have the hydra flak tank, but tau dont have that tank.
Vendettas are insane and will fry vehicles! Only problem is the 12 front armor.

In my experience with fighting Tau, Leman Russes are extremely effective. They're tough(er) to kill, have anti-tank, and can waste squads of infantry, be them fire warriors or crisis suits. Mixing it up with some Vendettas is never a bad idea though
Old 27 Jan 2010, 19:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hydra flak tanks are good too. Skimmers dont get cover saves from them, unless they've landed. 2 twinlinked auto cannons? If you go first, them you'll punch right through.

-Mike Tyson
Super heavy gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2010, 19:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpspiderman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will of Kaos
W o K
Camo nets give +1 if you have a cover save and havent moved. The Tau disruption pods give the vehicle a 4+ cover save regardless for cheaper.

Thanks, not an IG player so wasn't sure.
W o K
Old 27 Jan 2010, 19:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Warpspiderman mentioned the Submunition counter to this, but I just wanted to point out that in the new IG codex, Heavy Weapon teams are treated as a single T3 2W model. So a single railgun shot will cause Instant Death to a 2-man team, because they are considered to be one model.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 19:50   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

For starters, don't rely on the tanks. Tau are naturally very good at taking out heavy armor from long range. Use Valkyries and units that let you Outflank. Take Heavy Weapons teams and put them in hard cover. Keep your infantry in cover and make sure they have taken their own weapon options.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2010, 19:56   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

thanks a lot for all that info my opponent relies on his broaghtsides and battlesuits and his steath teams his foot soldiers are useally in a devilfish and he has hammerheads and stealth drones he also has kroot but dont use them often his latest purcuse are pathfinders with railguns i hope this is more usefull info
about me i rely mostly on russes and anything that has tracks and carries big guns i have a lot of infantry but i mainly use them as distraction so my tanks can whipe his squads out
Glenovic is offline   Reply With Quote