Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Armoured or Scouts for the Sentinel
Old 26 Jan 2010, 19:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Armoured or Scouts for the Sentinel

I've run the Plasma Sentinel, the flame scout, and the auto-cannon scout. To be quite honest the plasma sentinel has been the most effective all around. The other two have performed either worst or even better than the plasma. But I'll go briefly on what I've found by playing all three.

The Plasma Sentinel works really well against marine armies and against pesky terminators. Also in a pinch it could take out light vehicles. The only problem is that it only hit about half the time doing the game. Also against Marine armies it's a target due to what it can do. Against hordes it's OK since it will deviate and will hit more than likely. It's good for tyrant guard and mega-nobs. It's good but not what I would call out standing.

The Flame Sentinel scout is what I would call my second best sentinel. It either does really well or die very badly. I mainly outflank with this guy and sometimes deploy with him. It's a very good unit against hordes and can tie up squads like devastator marines shooting at my tanks. It at times out perform my plasma sentinel which makes it a great unit.

The Auto-Cannon Sentinel. Is probably my worst unit on the Field. Unless someone is playing with weak rear armor than it just takes up space. Even still it has yet to kill anything besides getting lucky with a winged tyrant in like 6 games. It has stopped other vehicles from firing and die a horrible death taking the blow from my chimeras. It's an OK distractor at best. So far not really a fan of this model.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 20:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Armoured or Scouts for the Sentenal

Er... well the weapon loadout depends on what type of sentinel it is (haven't got my 'dex handy), but i thought you could only have plasma on the armoured ones anyway... :

If the point of your thread is to ask which type of sentinel you should use, then i'll do my best.

Personally, i LOVE scout sents, purely for the fact that i can march 'em in, blow up a tank, and proceed to cause general havoc, i've not had experience, but i reckon they could work well with scout snipers or something similar too .

Had no experience w/ armoured variant, so can't help there.

Hope this helps
Old 26 Jan 2010, 20:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Armoured or Scouts for the Sentenal

if you've got scout autocannon sents, then a lot of tanks will have a hard time standing up to you, unless it's a heavy tank or has a lot of upgrades. If you con see the side armor, autocannons do have a good chance of getting the job done. In my opinion, sentinels are unique and fun, but you're better of using a vendetta or valkyrie, whether you're transporting troops or not. .

-Mike Tyson
Super heavy gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2010, 16:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Armoured or Scouts for the Sentinel

Well all three upgrades can be used with the armoured and the plasma can't be used with the scout. I just thought it was common sense for those with a codex or I would had mentioned outflanking with a plasma sentinel.

My question is which is better to use. The scouts or the armoured ones. Also which is the best weapons lay out. I'm just saying that the flame and plasma sentinels always work for me. My auto-cannon sentinel have yet to prove itself.

I personally rather run sentinels over the vendetta or the Valkyrie to be honest. The sentinels is very cheap and on the outflank can cause problems. I have chimera's for transports and if I want to outflank just give a chimera to a squad with infiltrate or scout.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 20:39   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well if you're not outflanking then really no reason to have the Scout Sentinels unless strapped for points. Also if you do get the Armored Sentinel then why not have 2 Plasma Sentinels? Conversely you can just keep that multi-laser. I forget who said it but someone pointed out its actually superior to the autocannon & heavy bolter to take out Marines, something about ROF & wounding on 2+. Plus it'll wound the new nids on 4+ or better.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 22:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marked of Kane
Well if you're not outflanking then really no reason to have the Scout Sentinels unless strapped for points. Also if you do get the Armored Sentinel then why not have 2 Plasma Sentinels? Conversely you can just keep that multi-laser. I forget who said it but someone pointed out its actually superior to the autocannon & heavy bolter to take out Marines, something about ROF & wounding on 2+. Plus it'll wound the new nids on 4+ or better.
Nah the multi laser only has the advantage of an extra shot the autocannon trumps it in range strength and AP. The autocannon has a better chance of killing MEQ's and unless facing a heavy tank can pose a threat to the side armour of most vehicles
Old 28 Jan 2010, 02:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I always prefer scouts for my Sentinels. Outflanking is a great way to keep your opponent worried about their flanks. Almost every list has some weak units that hang out in the back, and Sentinels are great at exploiting that.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2010, 19:17   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullreken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marked of Kane
Nah the multi laser only has the advantage of an extra shot the autocannon trumps it in range strength and AP. The autocannon has a better chance of killing MEQ's and unless facing a heavy tank can pose a threat to the side armour of most vehicles
While I will agree on the increased range of the autocannon and that its better at taking on vehicles what I said is it is better at killing Marines than either the AC or HB. Both the AC and the ML wound on 2+ and with that additional shot its more likely to kill cause neither ignore armor. The AC is only a superior Marine killer if the target is a Scout, Bike or Plague Marine as then either the armor is ignored or still wounds on a 2+.

Remember the OP said he was having poor luck with AC Sentinels so I suggested either upgrading or downgrading.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 21:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicop76

I personally rather run sentinels over the vendetta or the Valkyrie to be honest. The sentinels is very cheap and on the outflank can cause problems. I have chimera's for transports and if I want to outflank just give a chimera to a squad with infiltrate or scout.
i could agree with you on sents being better than valks, but vendettas have a special rule i like to call IMMEADIATE BOOM. speaking for tanks, the special rule is described by 2 words-verily, and 3 twin-linked las cannons.

-Mike Tyson
Super heavy gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2010, 02:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've had pretty good luck with my AC sentinels. I either use AC's or LC's on them.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote