Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Destroying a large Tyranid horde
Old 26 Jan 2010, 04:59   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Destroying a large Tyranid horde

I was just wondering what i should field to destroy or annihilate a large Tyrranid horde. The type of things I want to take in account are: 1 mawloc, 1 trigon prime, 1 trygon, 3 Genestealer broods, 8 gaunt squads, 9 hormagaunt squads, 3 termagaunt squads, 3 carnifexes, 1 winged hive tyrant, 3 guard, 2 ravener broods, 16 ripper swarms and 3 venomthropes.

P.S this is my friends army; from my previous shadowswors-stormlord post.
lord sovelin falken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2010, 07:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Testroying a large Tyrranid horde

Well first of all dude, either you got his list wrong or your opponent is not using the Force Organstion Chart. He can only field 6 troop choices and there are way too many troop chocies.

Other than that get lots of large blast templates and lots of AP 3 guns or Plasmaguns. Flamer templates are a nice back up plan when your tanks dont take out the small stuff. The only probelms you will have is the 3 "gons" popping up in your deployment zone which is where the plasma guns come in handy. Also sacfical units could benefit you as genestealers and raveners are very nasty, quick, assault units.

Also how many points are you playing? What units do you have? If that is his list then it should be like in the 2000+ point range.
Mandalorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2010, 18:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If you've got the 5th edition I.G. codex, then look at the punisher tank in the leman russ section. It gets 20, and I say 20, strength 5 no AP shots. 20, mind you. When I saw that I honestly just skipped the page. ;D

-Mike Tyson
Super heavy gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2010, 21:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Lots of battle cannons would help out. Tyranid warriors are not immune to instant death anymore so you can pop that pie plate on them and wacth them fall like flies...that is if they are not in terrain of course.
Mandalorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2010, 21:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You could also use the eradicator nova cannon. cover saves may not be taken by this weapon, and str 6 AP 4 is good against hordes.

-Mike Tyson
Old 27 Jan 2010, 01:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

That's entirely too many troops choices, but I'll go with it. I don't play guard, but I'm familiar with the codex. I'll go by Force-Org Section.

HQ: The only real anti-horde I see here is in the MOO (Master Of Ordnance), so you can plop out another template per turn. A Primaris Psyker could be used, but is hardly reliable. Other than that I don't see much, the HQ is mostly for leadership.

Elites: Here I see nothing. Stormies are great for getting through armor, but wound MC's on sixes. Ogryn could be considered anti-horde if they shot better. Ratlings are, again, anti MC.

Troops: Troops do friggin' everything. Anti-infantry here comes from Flamers, Grenade Launchers, Mortars, Heavy Bolters, (somewhat) Autocannons, and the lasgun, of course. Vets are even better at this, and can take a ton of plasma for MCs. Penal Legionaries are always a gamble, but I’ve seen them rend a bloodthirster to death. I must make a special mention to the Chimera, the Multilaser wounds horde creatures on a 2+, eats though the smaller critters saves, and has a decent rate of fire. If you’re hanging back, grab a Heavy Bolter. If you’re going in, grab a heavy flamer. A stubber is useful to either configuration, since it is defensive.

Fast Attack: Here’s the Guard Anti-horde. Hellhounds are great, a flamer template with no armor save with the option to attach another flamer to the chassis. Sentinels can put out a number of shots with three multilasers, three blasts/Mc killers with missiles or even just tie the little ones up in CC. Valks are nasty to hordes with missile pods, defensive large blasts hurt. It has transport capacity to boot.

Heavy Support: This houses Guard anti-everything. In the ‘russ department, the standard should do you well. The punisher seems designed for this, but is fairly expensive and short ranged. The standard ‘russ is cheap, and chews up small bugs and big bugs with equal ease. Warriors in particular hate this gun, since it ignores their save and strips all their wounds at the same time. The eradicator is decent if he likes to play cover shenanigans, otherwise the extra ability is wasted. With artillery, I have a soft spot for Griffons. They’re cheap and accurate, and can hide out of sight and shell a horde really well. If you want something more long ranged and harder to convert, you can go with a colossus is cover is a pain. I like hydras, but they aren’t to useful here. Manticores will blow up anything you point them at, and I don’t need to tell you what would happen if you managed to land a deathstrike in the middle of a horde.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2010, 16:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Destroying a large Tyranid horde

OK here is a few suggestions.

Veterans in a chimera with 3 plasma rifles. That's 6 shots at close range, 4 hits, and 3 wounds on any big creature out there. Two squads of these guys can take out any big creature heading your way. Sure you might lose two gunners but you're using guard. You can give them carapace armour so they can have a better chance of surviving from get hot.

The hellhound that wounds on 2+ would be great. To be honest you could do a standard. But I'll go with the 2+ so you can put some pain on the venom thorpes and make it easy for you to take out the body guard for the tyrant as well. With a heavy flamer you should wipe out several bugs.

Leman Russ Battle tank is great cause it would would the big creatures and wipe out the little ones as well.

Chimera's with heavy flamers is also great.

Lascannons with the order to bring it down can help with the big bugs.

The cheapest hvy support option that cost between 65-85 points would be nice. It's a str 6 shot that has AP 4 and can get rid of some cover saves plus you can re-roll on the result. All you have to do is place it behind your Russes so it can safely shot things down.

I'll mention again if you go with a lot of plasma guns it will help bring down those big guys.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 16:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

He's playing Apoc, guys, hence his earlier thread regarding choice of super-heavy. The number of Nid squads is natural in such a game. :P
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2010, 16:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Plasma guns are an absolute must against Nids. I just played them last night and I took out a Trygon Prime and a Tyrannofex that came out of his hole both in 1 turn of shooting with two 3 plasma Vet squads and 2 Vendettas. He wasn't very happy. Some spritzed in Meltas don't hurt either for taking out T4 multi-wound beasties, especially mounted in Chimeras as you'll normally only shoot at 12" anyway. I've taken to liking Meltas in my Command Squad that runs multiple power weapons / fists or shotgun Vets, so you can soften in shooting and then charge after, negating the Nids' charge bonuses.
Schev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2010, 19:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

plasma's nice, but it's not good against hordes. you need a high rate of fire and or pie plates, like battle cannons, eradicators nova cannons, punisher gatling cannons, and multiple rocket pods. other wise, for infantry, you need flamers, grenade launchers, and heavy weapons teams with heavy bolters or mortars. mortars aren't that great, but they have a chance of pinning the hordes down, which gives you another round of fire.

-Mike Tyson