Default Starting Imperial Guard

Hey TO
Today on a bit of a splurg I went out and bought:
A Cadian Battleforce,
A command squad,
An infantry squad,
A Lemon Russ
I also have a vostroyan infantry squad which I bought awhile ago

My previous army was Eldar which I decided to shelve because of their lack of competitiveness, and I was slightly tired of their playing style.

Anyway I would like to get a 1000 pt list going how can I use what I already have to achieve that, and what else should I aquire to make a solid 1000pt starter list?

Edit:Another question I have is, is Creed a viable option to take in an army?
Dire Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2010, 05:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.
Default Re: Starting Imperial Guard

Chimeras are a good addition to any Guard force. Mech Guard is very strong right now.

At 1000 points Sentinals can be quite effective aswell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2010, 07:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to AfrikA Send a message via Yahoo to AfrikA

Like Jane said. The Chimera is an awesome vehicle. Veterans and command squads packing ungodly amounts of special weapons can make good use out of a Chimera and Valkyrie. I only own 2 Chimera and after every game I find my self saying, "Man I need more of these things!" They aren't as fancy as teh eldar transports, but you get more then you pay for out of them.

You have a good basis for an army, but I wouldn't use those units the way they are now. Find a way to up the number of special weapons in your army. Order some Meltaguns and plasma guns from GW and give those to your plastic guardsmen instead of getting metal models or relying on command squad boxes.

The key with Ig is to really pack the heavy ans special weapons into the list to make it effective. From what you bought you didn't get allot of heavy and special weapons.

From what I see you bought and had you could make an awfully under equipped 700 point army. So get some Chimera and special/heavy weapons. Also consider a Valkyrie. Steer clear of the elite choices in the codex, they are too situational to be of use in smaller games.

I don't think Creed is all that great at 1000 points, he is more suited to lead a much larger army.

"This plan is so perfect it's retarded."
AfrikA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2010, 07:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

Chimeras truly are the bane of many oponants. the list I usually face currently has 3, going up to 10 when it hits 3000 points. They are so cheap and so versatile, the can carry Heavy Flamers Heavy Bolters AutoCannons or Multi Lasers, plus 5 guys can fire from the hatch, so that could be flamers too. Or the hateful Plasmagun driveby shooting. 7 Plasma shots at BS4 is not to be sneezed at.
Quote:
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Old 23 Jan 2010, 07:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I enjoy playing mechanised guard where I have nothing that isn't in/is a vehicle. In small games it over whelms the opponent and I also have a Valkyrie full of flamer veteran squad so I can drop em out and flame the enemy.

Guard can be very fun if you find a nice playstyle. I like mech guard as you end up running circles around your enemy.
Old 23 Jan 2010, 08:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Is mech gaurd the only competitive build around at the moment?
Dire Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2010, 08:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Fourtunatly for Guard, they have a great many competitive builds, but the MOST competitive/powerful build at the moment, due to the nature of 5th, is Mech.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 23 Jan 2010, 08:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Avenger
Is mech gaurd the only competitive build around at the moment?
No, there are many other competetive builds guard can do but 5th edition made mechanisedslightly more effective.

You can do a static gunline which is effective at completetly battering your foe down before they reach you. There are many others with varying playstyles but some are more effective thna others.
Old 23 Jan 2010, 17:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to AfrikA Send a message via Yahoo to AfrikA

The only problem with IG is that there are so many awesome options it can be really hard to choose what you want. Mech guard can play allot like an Eldar army, but then you can put an IG twist on it by bringing allot of heavy armor or artillery. Some units might be slightly more cost effective then others, but it's all situational. Pretty much every thing the IG has brings a certain amount firepower to the table, it's just a question of how much it brings. It comes in 3 flavors: Anti tank, anti horde and anti MEQ.

Unlike your Eldar you will find that IG isn't good at every thing. IG have some real major weaknesses that can be exploited. The 2 main ones I'd say are individual unit survivability and close combat. As long as you make peace with the fact that your guys are gonna die, and you can't do much about it, and close combat is the last thing you want to do you will be one step closer to the IG mindset of "I don't care what happens to me, I'm a drag you down with me!"

So, that brings home one of the main rules in building an effective IG army (much like an Eldar army); give each unit a job and gear them out just enough to accomplish it (Anti tank, anti horde and anti MEQ). Any extra stuff you give them, that wont help them accomplish their job, will reduce the effectiveness of the next unit that needs gear. As long as you keep that rule in mind (and keep a good balance) you can build allot of effective builds with the IG, because you use each unit's strength to it's limits and weaknesses be damned.

"This plan is so perfect it's retarded."
AfrikA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2010, 18:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

AfrikA is quite right, however if you play Mech, you have the option of taking fewer troops, but taking them as Veterans, this actually increases there survivability but a significant margin.

And when in Chimeras, they can perform the dreaded Plasma Rifle Drive By.
Quote:
Quote: