Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Shotguns... Why?...
Old 21 Jan 2010, 16:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Shotguns... Why?...

I was just wondering why (and indeed if) people take shotguns... i mean, for their stats, they're not great... personally i prefer lasguns, which are exactly the same, (assuming you're in rapid-fire range)... and have a longer range to start with...

What do you think? Are shotguns worth it?, How do you use them effectively?
Old 21 Jan 2010, 16:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.
Default Re: Shotguns... Why?...

Well if you intend to use veterans with shotguns for assault, then they could be usefull. maybe a unit with a few meltas, fire at the tank in question and then get into CC and Krak the rear end. or melta bomb it if your feeling swish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2010, 16:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Shotguns have been calling to me for my mechanized list. Your Chimeras are almost always moving anyway, so your range is normally 12". As Jayne mentioned, the ability to get out of transport, move, fire, and then charge would be pretty useful a lot of the time. As it stands with lasguns you never want to get out, and thus never negate charge bonuses.
Schev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2010, 19:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Vetts with shotguns and flamers with a plasma pistol/ power sword Sargent can be surprisingly nasty in CC
field marshel R Ironballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2010, 22:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Why, quite simply because they are awesome, offer great conversion opportunities and are incredibly badass. In game terms it depends on the mission for your vetrans, if your going with demolitians and melta guns, charging after shooting may be useful, especially for hard to kill tanks. If you've stocked up on plasma, charging is not an option after rapid firing, so lasguns would be a better choice. I take shotguns on my two melta vet squads and they look cool and as I'm always going to be within 12" (melta range) complement my special weapons nicely.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2010, 00:20   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i have a chimera with vets in it, they also have 2 flamers and a hvy flamer. if the chimera doesn't move they can assault and the chimera can give cover fire as the vets shotgun and flame whoever i am aiming at into dust then assault any survivors, if you also take a hellhound or bane wolf with you and you can destroy a squad of anything,

Shotguns are a must when using this tactic because you cant shoot your lasguns then assault, so it is essential to have them.

Also if anyone has any pictures of conversions that would be great as i am going to convert my veterans to shotguns and don't know where to start.
Davicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2010, 15:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I don't have a picture but a lot of people cut the barrel, sight and ammo clip off the standard las guns to give them an assault shotgun look
Old 26 Jan 2010, 01:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Lasguns and shotguns are the same in every respect, except for shtguns are assualt. but you only get in close with guardsmen when you're using a chimera or valkyrie. but lasguns are better, because of the order, "first rank, fire!" which allows all troops with a lasgun to have another shot, which makes a total of 3 shots per guardsmen.

-Mike Tyson
Super heavy gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2010, 02:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

The coolest conversion I saw for shotguns was someone cut doen the barrel and shortend the gun itself, making it look more like an MP5. Submachineguns with the Shotgun profile just struck me as cool. If you plan on assaulting with veterans they're great, for the same reason they're great on SM scouts. They're like close combat before the combat, without the opponent involved. They're also better shots than scouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2010, 11:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

If you can, could some of you guys show pics of these conversions?