Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Deathworld Combat Patrol 400 Points
Closed Thread
Old 10 Jul 2005, 17:15   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Magnum_357
Default Deathworld Combat Patrol 400 Points

Hey again all, once again in need of assistance for Imperial Guard, for for better clarification, Deathworld

9 Deathworld Veterans w/ Missile Launcher, Grenade Launcher
9 Deathworld Veterans w/ Heavy Flamer, Meltagun
Lieutenant Waite w/ Bolt Pistol

3 Ogryns

(Either) Heavy Bolter Team

(Or) 2 Deathworld Sentinels

I'm unsure of a few rules, such as the use of 3 wound models mainly, I don't recall it's legality but it would certainly make things easier for me. Comments and help should really give me the edge to finally create one, you have no idea how long I take to wrap my brain around how tough Deathworld armies can be to make effective!
Old 10 Jul 2005, 22:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy
Default Re: Deathworld Combat Patrol 400 Points

in my experience, grenade launchers are not very good in the forest. it does not negate any cover saves and is already weak unless using krak grenades. also, the sentinel will get around faster, and would be a little more useful

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 01:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to tolson88 Send a message via MSN to tolson88

Deathworld Veterans are actually quite effective if you follow these guidelines:

Infiltrating is not always a good thing. If you're playing something like Khorne Marines, you probably don't want to start closer to them than you have to. On the flip side if you're facing someone like static guard or static tau, you do want to start close as possible.

Flamers are the best possible weapon to take in a Deathworld list. Yes, they're expensive, but it helps the counter charge and is especially useful in dense terrain. Also, ditch the heavy weapons in normal squads. The heavy flamers is okay but it's better if you invest those points in an Autocannon team. They have the firepower to destroy lighter vehicles, and any heavier vehicles (land raiders, leman russ) should be destroyed ASAP with melta guns. I realize this is a small points list, but consider taking a deathworld veterans patrol with meltagun/guns over the sentinels. It will add just the right amount of tank-busting ability to this list.

The heavy flamer and melta gun in the same squad is a decent idea, but the Missle Launcher/ Grenade launcher squad is a waste of points. Drop both those for another hvy flamer melta or a regular flamer (no hvy weapon) Any fire support is added into the list by the Fire support part of a platoon. (P.S. Always take autocannons in the FS squads. They can deal with infantry really fast {48" plasma equivalent with 2 shots and no overheat? i'll take it!} and has enough shots that even guard can pop or stop a light to med. vehicle dependably. Anything heavier (as above) falls to the meltagun squad.

Just because they have weapon skill 4 does not mean you should go charging marines. You'll still get destroyed. You may be strong humans, but you still are humans. the WS 4 just means that you've got a chance to womp 'em if they get in charge range.

Remember, You can also run the army as a Doctrines list. Unless the regiment is specifically Catachans, these are the Doctrines I suggest:

Hardened Fighters
Ogryns
Light Infantry
Heavy Weapon Platoons
Veterans

Jungle Fighters, while in some ways more appropriate, denies the use of lascannons entirely (no lascannons on tanks, esp. Leman Russ, can be hard to model) And it reduces you to a 6+ save. Anything but a lasgun will deny you a save, so there's no point in even having an armor save of 6+. Also, It restricts too much the effectiveness of said unit in open terrain. Sure, difficult terrain checks are few and far between with Jungle Fighters, but I'd rather spend a little more time in difficult terrain and have an approx 20% better chance to survive any shooting than charge towards the enemy only to get blasted to bits.

A good deathworld army using these doctrines and a leman russ in an open battle can do some real damage, especially if you keep the russ hull down. It's an even tougher nut to crack that way, but one that one most opponents will concentrate on while the rest of your army has its way with him.

Just my thoughts.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 01:53   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I've always liked the Catachans myself, and when they re-released the Catachan Codex for free it's been a trial and a half figuring them out. In combat patrols can you use models with three wounds? What about numbers of troop choices? that's where I'm stuck. If the first is a no-go then I'm done for, having to add a second platoon, we're talking somewhere around 200 points before upgrades leaving 42 guys and... lasguns ohhh yeah soooooo diverse! : If any of you have a combat patrol list for IG I would love to see it, that way I may get a better idea on how to build this, I've been playing for about a year and a half with a very successful tau army big change of tactics!
Old 11 Jul 2005, 02:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

for combat patrols, you only need one troop choice.and no rules against multi wound creatures.
my combat patrol:
elite:assualt squad-5 member 2 flamers, 1 heavy flamer-89 pts

troops:lieutenant-bolt postol and power weapon-26 pts
squad 1 -10- melta gun- 98
squad 2 -10-heavy flamer,flamer-113

fast attack: 6-melta gun and frags for all-74

totasl 400

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 03:56   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

That looks pretty solid as any list would go, I redid mine a little after the wealth of advice you gave, I didn't take all your advice (probably againgst my better judgement) but I like the idea of 2 squads for support, one on the attack, and one sentinel causing just a little too much trouble. Honestly the sentinel is there more for taste than full effect, I needed a single vehicle to help tide the group over and the visual prescence is perfered.

10 Deathworld Veterans w/ Heavy Flamer, Meltagun
10 Deathworld Veterans w/ Missile launcher, Plasma gun
Lieutenant Waite w/ Power Sword and Las Pistol

Heavy Bolter Team

Deathworld Sentinel

Old 11 Jul 2005, 19:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

glad to help. that list looks rather solid, bit i would switch the heavy bolters to defence, or switch them to an assualt team that is nice and tooled up.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Closed Thread