Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Birthday List - Vets vs Storm Troopers
Old 20 Jan 2010, 20:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Colonel Marksman
Default Birthday List - Vets vs Storm Troopers

If your birthday is soon after or around the Holidays, I feel your pain. Mine is today, but everyone's broke and here in the States, everyone is thinking about taxes.

But I've got 2 Valkyries now, and I need something to go with them. I'm going to buy the FW Vendetta kit for them.

Should I aim for Veterans or Storm Troopers? I have need for both. My 1k list doesn't have Storm Troopers though, and all of this is still in testing mode.

I have my eye on these. I'm doing shotguns anyway. With a little wire and green stuff, I could probably convert those shotguns to Hot-shot Lasguns and use them for either-or because I'm doing Carapace Armor.

And to carry on my love for meltaguns, I'm also looking at these.

I'd probably only do one unit like this though because I'm sure they're expensive.

I also like the look of the Kasakrins. The full face mask doesn't fit with my theme. I've got 10 already to go with my Witch Hunters.

Anybody looking to get rid of some Storm Troopers with Meltaguns? Or if you want Plasma Guns, we can split the price and buy the blisters.

So... for someone trying to go the cheap route, what do you suggest?

Games in the Past Month:
Tau: W-1, T-0, L-1
Witch H: W-0, T-0, L-0
Eldar: W-2, T-0, L-1
Guard: W-0, T-0, L-0
Other: W-2, T-1, L-0
Colonel Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2010, 23:08   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Birthday List - Vets vs Storm Troopers

If you want cheap, and I know you do, don't buy the FW conversions. You can make your own for nothing. You have any Lascannon bits? Pesto. Easy conversion. oh, Veterans are worth more than stormies. They score, have 3 weapons, and have more bodies to soak up fire.

good luck
Jayne Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2010, 01:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne Cobb
If you want cheap, and I know you do, don't buy the FW conversions. You can make your own for nothing. You have any Lascannon bits? Pesto. Easy conversion. oh, Veterans are worth more than stormies. They score, have 3 weapons, and have more bodies to soak up fire.

good luck
I already said that I'm doing the FW conversion. I don't care too much about the gaming aspect of vets vs troopers. I like them both. The difference, with meltagun upgrades and carapace armor, is 55 points. I love hot-shot lasguns; they're worth every point. Mainly because I've been playing against Eldar for so long and have issues combating their Aspect Warriors. But I also love shotguns.

Anyway, I was wondering how other people did their models or what they would go for right now.

Games in the Past Month:
Old 21 Jan 2010, 04:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to AfrikA Send a message via Yahoo to AfrikA

I agree with Jayne Cobb on all points. He answered your questions, why act like he didn't?

Quote:
Should I aim for Veterans or Storm Troopers?
Veterans.

Quote:
So... for someone trying to go the cheap route, what do you suggest?
Don't buy Forge World. Stay away from carapace armor, there are no cheap models for it.

Quote:
The difference, with meltagun upgrades and carapace armor, is 55 points.
Exactly why you should go with veterans, they do pretty much the same thing for much cheaper. For every 2 storm trooper squads you can field almost 3 veteran squads with more than double the total special weapons the storm troupers would have. If you decide not to waste points on the Grenadiers doctrine you could up the number of special weapons to almost 3 times the number the storm troopers will have for the same point cost (12 vs 4 melta guns, both options at the same Ballistic Skill).

Quote:
Anyway, I was wondering how other people did their models or what they would go for right now.
As for models to use, since you want to keep it cheap, just for for straight up Cadians or Catachans and modify them up a bit to make them look more elite.

"This plan is so perfect it's retarded."
AfrikA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2010, 04:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Let me rephrase it then.

I don't care about tactical analysis or how this unit works against that unit. I'm getting Storm Troopers. I'm getting Veterans. That's not the question. The fluff for my army requires that I have carapace armor. I don't care what you say about how you don't like it; it works, and it works extremely well.

My Imperial Guard army is not going to consist of more than 5 models with BS:3 or less. That means every single Infantry Platoon unit is not allowed.

Which should I aim for getting first? If I don't buy FW stuff, then what do you suggest I go by?

Games in the Past Month:
Old 21 Jan 2010, 05:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Then why ask?

There are no cheap models with Carapace full stop. The cheapest would be DKoK grenadiers by a long shot. Kasrkin would cost you a few bucks more and AFAIK they dont make the old storm troopers.

Basically... unless you scratch build the armor, your not going to get it cheap.

Some armies require alot more money than others. You'll have to find a different list if you dont want to flesh out.

And Elysian models DO NOT have carapace armor. the only thing more they ware than cadians is knee pads.
Old 21 Jan 2010, 06:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to DarkKnightCuron Send a message via MSN to DarkKnightCuron

I think you should focus on your Veterans first. Try and knock out your minimum HQ and 2 Troops first, then maybe add a squad of Stormtroopers for your 'ace in the hole.'

With a little greenstuff, you can easily 'up-armor' the Elysian models so that they have Carapace armor. Unfortunately, I don't have any tutorials on that, though.
Old 21 Jan 2010, 07:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD
and AFAIK they dont make the old storm troopers.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/ca...tCatGameStyle=

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/ca...Id=prod1070103

GW put them back on the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD
Then why ask?

There are no cheap models with Carapace full stop. The cheapest would be DKoK grenadiers by a long shot.
Ok. Then what's some of my cheapest options? None of them are cheap, but I'm sure they're not all going to be the same price. I don't know what DKoK stands for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD
Basically... unless you scratch build the armor, your not going to get it cheap.
A link to some conversions would be useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD
Some armies require alot more money than others. You'll have to find a different list if you dont want to flesh out.
My army list is usually going to be severely outnumbered, even against the Space Marines and Chaos. I don't follow the path of throwing a lot of meat into the grinder until it stops. I need less than 30 models for my 1k army list, and probably less than 65 for my 1850. I don't typically play games higher than that though variety is nice.

So yes, while this would be expensive, I'm going to be fielding a lot less Guard models than normal, so $$$ spent on an extra box of guys will be spent on a single box of guys. Who would've thought? A non-horde army of Imperial Guard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD
And Elysian models DO NOT have carapace armor. the only thing more they ware than cadians is knee pads.
You're right. I guess it was the deceptive helmets and it looked like their armor stood out a little more. Most players actually accept Cadian models as having Carapace as long as you just tell your opponent, "hey, that armor they already have is just harder and thicker." But I'd like something a bit more unique than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnightCuron
I think you should focus on your Veterans first. Try and knock out your minimum HQ and 2 Troops first, then maybe add a squad of Stormtroopers for your 'ace in the hole.'

With a little greenstuff, you can easily 'up-armor' the Elysian models so that they have Carapace armor. Unfortunately, I don't have any tutorials on that, though.
Thank you. Unfortunately, I'm not very good with green stuff. I'm quite a good scavanger, but I'm having a hard time thinking of ideas.

Games in the Past Month:
Old 21 Jan 2010, 16:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Marksman
Ok. Then what's some of my cheapest options? None of them are cheap, but I'm sure they're not all going to be the same price. I don't know what DKoK stands for.
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog..._OF_KRIEG.html

DKoK = Death Korps of Krieg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Marksman
A link to some conversions would be useful.
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=converting+...carapace+armor

(Alternatively you could do a google image search on the same query and page through to see if anything strikes your fancy.)

Most things I've seen in a quick search involve using cadians, or greenstuff. If you don't have much in the way of greenstuffing skills, bits of plasticard attached to the elbows and knees might suffice.

I've also seen some carapace armored guard done with Space Marine Scouts, as well as a conversion that used Warhammer Fantasy Empire Greatswords bodies and legs mixed with Cadian arms and heads that looked pretty decent, though I can't find the link right now.

Edit - Here's a link to a conversion using Space Marine Scouts:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum...st/207157.page