Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mechanized Guard
Old 14 Jan 2010, 13:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to DarkKnightCuron Send a message via MSN to DarkKnightCuron
Default Mechanized Guard

As I've stated on multiple threads, I'm slowly building up a 2500-Point Mechanized Guard force. I have several concerns, however:

1) At 2500 Points, and 15 Chimeras on the table, I'm concerned that I might not have a whole lot of maneuvering room on a standard 4' x 6' table with 25% terrain. Am I just being over-cautious here?

2) Are Three Leman Russ (standard) Tanks going to be enough in a 2500 Point force, or do I need to swap out a few Chimeras for another Leman Russ (or 2)?

3) Are Hellhounds (and their variants) along with Sentinels going to be more beneficial than aforementioned Leman Russes?

4) Are Hellhounds and Sentinels going to be critical in a Mechanized list?

5) Am I investing too many points into the Troops section? (Currently have Two Full Infantry Platoons of Chimeras and Two Veterans Squads in Chimeras)

Thanks for the info.
Old 14 Jan 2010, 14:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Mechanized Guard

15 Chimeras plus other tanks will definitely have trouble maneuvering with 25% terrain. Dead ones will also block movement lanes, and several are sure to die. I would recommend playing on a 4' X 8' board for games greater than 2000 points. Alternatively you could keep some in reserve to grant yourself more room to move. Maybe throw in an Astropath to get them easier.

Is 3 Russes your only non-Chimera tank support? If so, that seems light for 2500. I would consider some Hellhounds, Devil Dogs, Sentinels, ordinance batteries, Vendettas, or just more Russes. I would probably go Vendettas, Devil Dogs, or ordinance batteries (re-roll scatter on Griffon's is nice and they are cheap), but that all depends on your interests and playstyle.

If you've got 2500 points of mechanized infantry and only 3 standard Russes, I'd say you're definitely spending too much on troops. I don't think cuts to get any of my recommendations would be that painful as they are all relatively cheap.
Schev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2010, 15:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to DarkKnightCuron Send a message via MSN to DarkKnightCuron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schev
15 Chimeras plus other tanks will definitely have trouble maneuvering with 25% terrain. Dead ones will also block movement lanes, and several are sure to die. I would recommend playing on a 4' X 8' board for games greater than 2000 points. Alternatively you could keep some in reserve to grant yourself more room to move. Maybe throw in an Astropath to get them easier.
I'm afraid going the reserves route will be best, as the tournaments where I go to are pretty strict on the 4' x 6' table. I had done some calculations earlier, and I had ended up with three vehicles per square foot of deployment zone which, obviously, is a bit of a squeeze. The Astropath seems like a sound idea, however.

Quote:
Is 3 Russes your only non-Chimera tank support? If so, that seems light for 2500. I would consider some Hellhounds, Devil Dogs, Sentinels, ordinance batteries, Vendettas, or just more Russes. I would probably go Vendettas, Devil Dogs, or ordinance batteries (re-roll scatter on Griffon's is nice and they are cheap), but that all depends on your interests and playstyle.
Unfortunately, the 3 Russes were something of an afterthought when I started building this list, as I was pretty much going through a 'Chimera-spam' mindset. Massed S6 Ap6 fire is really only attractive on paper, as I don't have anything to deal with AV 12 and higher. Rest assured, though, that all of my squads pack a healthy amount of Melta in them, however, so I might not be completely lost for anti-tank punch. At any rate, as fitting with the mechanized theme, I'll be eschewing Valkyries and Vendettas, but Sentinels, Hellhound Variants, and Russes are likely the more attractive choice. I wouldn't mind ordnance batteries if they could move and fire, but that's not quite the case.

Quote:
If you've got 2500 points of mechanized infantry and only 3 standard Russes, I'd say you're definitely spending too much on troops. I don't think cuts to get any of my recommendations would be that painful as they are all relatively cheap.
Right then. I can probably forgo the two squads of Veterans to get another Russ and maybe a Hellhound. Alternately, instead of either, I might grab a few squadrons of Sentinels, as they'll be more maneuverable and able to get around any wrecked or immobilized Chimeras on my side of the table.
Old 14 Jan 2010, 15:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Alternately, instead of either, I might grab a few squadrons of Sentinels, as they'll be more maneuverable and able to get around any wrecked or immobilized Chimeras on my side of the table.
That's probably a good call. Some Scout Sentinals with move through cover could serve you well.
Old 14 Jan 2010, 16:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Right, so that gives me:

CCS with Carapace and Plasma Spam, Chimera

Two Full Infantry Platoons of Chimeras (So Twelve Total Chimeras. Each Infantry Squad has a Meltagun and Each Platoon Command has Plasma Spam)

Three Leman Russes with Lascannons

3 Squadrons of 2 Scout Sentinels with Lascannons

Leaves me with 50 points. Thanks for the advice, Schev!
Old 14 Jan 2010, 16:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

You're welcome. Sounds pretty mean. The only thing I've found that I don't like about totally mechanized Guard is it significantly nerfs orders since you can't order a unit in a transport. Oh well, can't have it all I guess.
Old 15 Jan 2010, 13:21   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Use those 50 points for heavy stubbers on your chimeras. Or drop the carapace armour and use 10 of those points for an Astropath.
Old 15 Jan 2010, 14:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Use those 50 points for heavy stubbers on your chimeras. Or drop the carapace armour and use 10 of those points for an Astropath.
My apologies, the Astropath is already included in the above list, so no need to worry about that. I was thinking about either Heavy Stubbers, Hunter Killer Missiles, or a few Heavy Weapon Teams amongst the Infantry Squads.
Old 15 Jan 2010, 19:01   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Personally in my experience playing mech guard, that many troops will cause problems, if i were you i would drop one entire mech platoon and invest in tanks, hellhound variants are fantastic as they are fast. they will be the vanguard of your army.

P.S. I only take one full platoon at 3000 pts lol
field marshel R Ironballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2010, 07:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by field marshal R Ironballs
Personally in my experience playing mech guard, that many troops will cause problems, if i were you i would drop one entire mech platoon and invest in tanks, hellhound variants are fantastic as they are fast. they will be the vanguard of your army.

P.S. I only take one full platoon at 3000 pts lol
I was afraid that having only 7 Chimeras on the table wouldn't really mesh well with the whole 'mechanized' feel of the army. In addition, the enemy would only need to pop six of said Chimeras and deny me scoring status, so I felt 11 Chimeras would help with that. Along with everything else, I should still have a few scoring units at the end of turn 6. If it becomes too much of a squeeze, I might drop a Mech. Inf. squad from each of the Platoons.