Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

So... Imperial Guard
Old 13 Jan 2010, 21:22   #1 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Default So... Imperial Guard

So, I currently play Tau, and I've always liked the idea of Gue'vesa, Human Auxiliaries to the Empire. In my current background for my Tau, they've recently taken an Imperium world and I wanted a way to show this in my gaming. However, the Tau codex doesn't have rules for Gue'vesa, and I've always preffered the idea of Humans getting to fight by their own way instead of just getting absorbed as soldiers by the Tau.

This has led me to want to start a small Imperial Guard army. I've borrowed my friends codex and I've looked it over, and I'm a wee bit tired of battle tanks and transports (I've gotten enough of that from playing Tau). The general idea would be lots of Infantry Platoons, possibly in Chimereas, that represent the PDF forces that surrendered to the Tau. Naturally, there wouldn't be many Leman Russ Battle Tanks in a PDF, nor Basilisks or any of the variations. This leads me to worry that my Guard army would suck bad and I wouldn't enjoy playing them. I was thinking 6 Infantry Platoons, maybe 3 Heavy Weapons Teams, 3 or 4 Chimereas for Infantry Squads, maybe 2 groups of Stormtroops in Valkeries/Vendettas, and a couple Hell Hounds or their varients. While this is a little bit too mech fror my idea, but I'm worried that theis is the best I can do without taking Battle Tanks and the like.

So would this be good, or should I just scrap my idea?

ps I'll try and make a list when I get out of school, so I can get a better idea of what I'd like to field and you guys can help me with more detail
Old 13 Jan 2010, 21:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: So... Imperial Guard

I think you could be effective with infantry (partially or completely in Chimeras - PDF has lots), light tanks, and don't forget Sentinels. You can get a lot of your heavy shooting from heavy weapon squads or Sentinels.

I think I'd shy away from the Valks as realistically they are Naval support seconded to the Guard, so it's unlikely your PDF force would have many I'd say. I think 1-2 squads of vets could supplement your specialized shooting and could be reasoned as the few remaining actual Guard post conflict.

Like I said, I think it's feasible with no significant heavy support. The Devil Dog is a light tank that can pack a wallop against other armor and there's plenty of other avenues for anti-tank.
Schev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2010, 01:24   #3 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

6 Infantry Platoons? You don't have enough points to fully use 2 Infantry Platoons! Trust me; I tried. But if you're thinking Gue'vesa PDF Force, here's a few units you might be able to use:
Yes
- Company Command Squad + Officer of the Fleet + Bodyguards
- Infantry Platoons + Platoon Command Squad + Heavy Weapons Squad + Special Weapons Squad + Conscripts

Maybe
- Chimeras; Chimeras might be available to the Gue'vesa PDF if their own world produce Chimeras.
- Veteran Squads; so unless the PDF are in constant battle, they ain't no veteran formation. PDF is actually lower than the Guard in terms of equipment, training and experience.
- Scout Sentinel Squadron; Again the world itself must be fully capable of producing Sentinels to have it amongst its PDF.
- Armored Sentinel Squadron; See Scout Sentinel Squadron.
- Rough Rider Squadron; Depends on the world and their outlook on warfare, these Rough Riders might be nobles on horseback or trained skirmishers or your world is so ****ing poor, they use horses.
- Hellhound Squadron: See Chimera.
- Leman Russ Squadron; As like Chimera, your world needs to be fully capable of producing Leman Russes. It means that it needs to be a Forge World, Manufactorium World or Hive World. But in most cases, Leman Russes in PDF are very far and very few in-between.
- Hydra Flak Tank Battery: See Chimera.
- Ordnance Battery: See Chimera.

No
- Psyker Primaris; Ha! As if the Imperium let some PDF rabble get a hold of Psykers.
- Lord Commissars; They would shoot as many traitors as he can before pulling the trigger on himself than bowing to the Greater Good. Also Commissars amongst PDF are quite rare.
- Ogryn Squad; Like the Psykers, they are far too precious and too 'specialized' to be attached to PDFs.
- Ratlings; Ditto. See Psyker Primaris and Ogryn.
- Storm Trooper Squad; Like the Commissar you're going to have a hard time convincing them that the Greater Good is good~er than the Emperor.
- Astropath and Master of Ordnance; Tau don't use Astropaths for communication nor do the Tau or the PDF have any significant artillery for MoO.
- Penal Legion Squad; as I understand it, they are no crimes in the Tau Empire.
- Valkyrie Assault Carrier Squadron; they're exclusively used by the Imperial Navy (with the exception of a few IG regiments e.g. Elysians)
- Vendetta Gunship Squadron; See Valkyrie Assault Carrier.
- Manticore Rocket Launcher; this is a rare and powerful piece of equipment. They wouldn't dare have it in the hands of PDF.
- Deathstrike Missile Launcher; See Manticore Rocket Launcher.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2010, 01:35   #4 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Ya, I suppose I was just suffering from "Oooh, shiny!" syndrome, although it's not impossible that a few Valks were recovered/left behind, right?
Also, i meant Infantry Squads, not platoons.

Here's a rough list of what I'm thinking
Company Command Squad
+ Power Fist
+ Medi-Pack
+ Regimental Standard
+ Vox Caster
+ Carapace Armour

Platoon Command Squad x2
+ Power Weapon
+ All with Laspistols

Infantry Squad x6

Heavy Weapons Team x2
+Lascannon x3

Veteran Squad
+ Power Fist
+ All with Shotguns
+ Flamer x2
+ Heavy Flamer
+ Grenediers

Scout Sentinel Squadron x2
+ Lascannon x2
+ Hunter Killer Missile x2
+ Smoke Launchers x2

Armoured Sentinel Squadron x2
+ Plasma Cannon x2
+ Smoke Launchers x2

Hellhound Squadron (Banewolf)x3
+ Multi-melta x3
+ Heavy Stubbers x3
+ Dozer Blade x3

Total 1640
Old 14 Jan 2010, 01:52   #5 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW
Ya, I suppose I was just suffering from "Oooh, shiny!" syndrome, although it's not impossible that a few Valks were recovered/left behind, right?
No, the Imperium is very strict about these. No one faction can never ever be more powerful than the other. They won't have a Combined-Arms IG regiment nor a 10,000-Space Marine Chapter. Valkyries/Vendettas are only exclusively available to the Imperial Navy for a reason. But in turn, the Imperial Navy will never have command of any kind of ground forces.
Old 14 Jan 2010, 02:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Looks worth a shot to me, but what's up with 1640? Why no special weapons in normal squads? Grenade launchers / flamers are probably the most reasonable for PDF. I still think at least a small number of Chimeras are completely reasonable.
Old 14 Jan 2010, 03:44   #7 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schev
I still think at least a small number of Chimeras are completely reasonable.
Yeah, for the higher ups but that's it. Unless they can maintain and produce Chimeras, you won't see a lot of them around. Either that or the world is pretty well off so it can buy Chimeras off-world and get some Techpriests and the facilities they need to maintain the Chimeras.
Old 14 Jan 2010, 03:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

That was my thought - CCS and PCS's, though the PCS's as they are really don't benefit from them that much. I guess it would keep your power weapon investment alive that much longer. Maybe one for the vets if you're going to spin them as Guard leftovers.
Old 14 Jan 2010, 04:14   #9 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW
No, the Imperium is very strict about these. No one faction can never ever be more powerful than the other. They won't have a Combined-Arms IG regiment nor a 10,000-Space Marine Chapter. Valkyries/Vendettas are only exclusively available to the Imperial Navy for a reason. But in turn, the Imperial Navy will never have command of any kind of ground forces.
Well my thought was that the Tau shot down a Valk, and then managed to recover it, or some kind of Planetary Government official was about to escape into orbit and some Kroot/Stealth Suits ambushed them, killing everyone and capturing the craft.
The points limit is what it is because I just went through the codex and listed off what i wanted, with no particular goal in mind. I imagine that I could add some Chimera in and bring it up to 2k, then trim it in incriments of 500 for a 1500 and 1000 point list
Old 14 Jan 2010, 04:36   #10 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

The problem is; are you really going to bother to repair and maintain an Imperial aircraft when the Tau will already be bringing in their own aircraft? No, they rather use their own vehicles because they're familiar with it and they don't need to waste resources maintaining something like a Valkyrie especially when it comes to getting its spare parts.