Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Imperial Guard Doctrines
Closed Thread
Old 29 Aug 2004, 17:12   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default New Imperial Guard Doctrines

I was reading the Codex: Imperial Guard at a friend house and it said that GW will be releasing new Doctrines for the Guard in the future. That got me thinking and this is what I come up with.

[hr]

Artillery Bombardment
The regiment heralds from a world known for large artillery detachments, most notably large numbers basilisks.
The regiment gains one preliminary bombard scenario special rule.

Expert Gunners
The regiment is known for training itís tank gunners to be marksmen in their own right, and are expert at shooting tank based weapons.
Any tanks fielded have BS4 but cost +15 pts per vehicle.

Feared Reputation
The regiment has grown a fearsome reputation amongst one of the alien races.
The permissible types are Eldar (both Dark Eldar and Craftworld), Tau (note Tyranids arenít included since they rarely remember previous conflicts from one generation to another) Any unit from that race must make a Morale Check before being able to charge in combat. This costs +15 points per unit. Fearless units ignore this rule.

Primitive Armour
The regiment comes from a world where the infantry fight with little or no armour, or that has long abandoned the traditional Flak armour.
All Conscript and Guard units all have a 6+ save. Units are 15 pts cheaper.

Sparse Formation
The unit has adapted a natural ability to fight more or less as individuals.
Guard units, Conscripts and Command Sections have 4Ē unit coherency, but this costs +3 points per unit. They still move and assault as normal.

Subterranean
The regiment is renowned for itís use of burrowing troops, and can await in buried for days before they will strike, coming from hidden burrows.
The army may re-roll the dice for night fight, and one Infantry squad per Platoon (not Command Sections) may deep strike if playing by Night Fight. This costs +5 points per model.

[hr]

What do you think?
Old 29 Aug 2004, 17:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: New Imperial Guard Doctrines

well i dont think i can write wot i really think cos i dont want a warning...

some arent bad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill on 23rd August 1940
Never in the field of human satire were so many made to feel so humble by so much acid wit
GOT IT! Thatís the one. Just sums RJay up perfectly!
Old 29 Aug 2004, 18:50   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

PM me it then (i'm not bothered lol)!
Old 29 Aug 2004, 20:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

honestly u can be so thick sometimes... as in... in winding u up...

they arent that bad really...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill on 23rd August 1940
Never in the field of human satire were so many made to feel so humble by so much acid wit
GOT IT! Thatís the one. Just sums RJay up perfectly!
Old 30 Aug 2004, 00:49   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Am I? I'll take your word for that then lol.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 11:10   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarseerTyross
Artillery Bombardment
The regiment heralds from a world known for large artillery detachments, most notably large numbers basilisks.
The regiment gains one preliminary bombard scenario special rule.
They should pay for this. 20-30 points, maybe more...

Quote:
Expert Gunners
The regiment is known for training itís tank gunners to be marksmen in their own right, and are expert at shooting tank based weapons.
Any tanks fielded have BS4 but cost +15 pts per vehicle.
I don't agree with this one at all. "Veteran Tanks" are reserved for Armoured Batallions, not mainstream Guard.

Quote:
Feared Reputation
The regiment has grown a fearsome reputation amongst one of the alien races.
The permissible types are Eldar (both Dark Eldar and Craftworld), Tau (note Tyranids arenít included since they rarely remember previous conflicts from one generation to another) Any unit from that race must make a Morale Check before being able to charge in combat. This costs +15 points per unit. Fearless units ignore this rule.
This one is stupid. There is nothing frightening about Guardsmen! We have Xenohunters Doctrine, what more do you want?

Quote:
Primitive Armour
The regiment comes from a world where the infantry fight with little or no armour, or that has long abandoned the traditional Flak armour.
All Conscript and Guard units all have a 6+ save. Units are 15 pts cheaper.
Good idea, bad costing. -1 pt per model is more acceptable.

Quote:
Sparse Formation
Guard units, Conscripts and Command Sections have 4Ē unit coherency, but this costs +3 points per unit. They still move and assault as normal.
Fair enough...

Quote:
Subterranean
The regiment is renowned for itís use of burrowing troops, and can await in buried for days before they will strike, coming from hidden burrows.
The army may re-roll the dice for night fight, and one Infantry squad per Platoon (not Command Sections) may deep strike if playing by Night Fight. This costs +5 points per model.
A bit complex... not sure if this is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 30 Aug 2004, 13:30   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

[hr]

Artillery Bombardment
The regiment gains one preliminary bombard scenario special rule at a cost of 25 points.

Expert Gunners
Any one tank per army has a BS4 but cost +30 pts.

Primitive Armour
All Conscript and Guard units all have a 6+ save. Models are 1 pt cheaper.

Sparse Formation

Subterranean
The army may re-roll the dice for night fight. This costs +3 points per model.

[hr]

I've simplified the Subterranean rules and given it a cost, change the points value of Primitive Armour to -2 points, changed the Expert Gunners to one tank per army (as well as it's description) and as for the Artillery Bombard, it's taking up one Doctrine and your only allowed 5 to start with so by that it pays for itself, so I made the cost fairly low. And as for that Feared reputation, i've removed that completely, I didn't really like it much myself, but it was an idea (and thought may as well include it since I'm doing some other Guard Doctrines).
Old 30 Aug 2004, 16:48   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Primitive Armour is still wrong.

GW overcharged Carapace. Upgrading Flak to Carapace should cost +1pt per model, not +2. However, GW aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

Conscripts being 2pts per model is just not on, 6+ save or no. -1pt means you don't get an excessive benefit from taking the Doctrine (and Doctrines should never be picked to "give an edge").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 30 Aug 2004, 18:08   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Changed, I see your point now about the armour thing now. Thanks wargamer
Closed Thread