Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

For those of you interested in Praetorians...
Old 08 Jan 2010, 15:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default For those of you interested in Praetorians...

Well, i've found these, dunno if it may be of any use

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...%26start%3D147

They are 28mm, and plastic ( i think), the only issue (to me at least), is that they are from Australia, and (apart from the price), i wouldn't have thought it's very green to ship plastic models from the other side of the globe...

Just thought some people might be interested

hope this is useful to someone

EDIT: For those of us in the UK...
http://www.empiregamestore.co.uk/ind...2um9fksj7l4p00
basically a UK online store of the same minis
Old 08 Jan 2010, 17:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: For those of you interested in Praetorians...

Sorry to just to butt in on the alternative model scene, but these guys are pretty good stand-ins as well for the enterprising IG player. (Plus, we have the Troll forged guy on the site )

http://trollforged.com/shelf_sci-fi_GreatCoats.html

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2010, 19:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hey, thanks , although i dont think anybody (apart from ourselves) is looking ;D

Also, just to point out, those guys in your link are 25mm, 40k is 28mm :-\
Old 08 Jan 2010, 19:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

You know that 40k uses 25mm bases right? The base size doesn't denote the model size, generally being slightly smaller.
In the opening manifesto of Hive Trygon he makes it clear that they are using 28mm modelers.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2010, 19:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ah damn it! If I had only known about that site a year ago I could have gone with my original plan to make a chaos guard army, those zombies would have been just what I needed
Old 08 Jan 2010, 19:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

;D Yeah, i myself couldn't help looking at the zombies ^-^

Oh, as a matter of interest, an idea for Valhallans... what about Cadian minis, with the russian red army symbol on one shoulder? (reason i ask is because i like valhallans, the red army of ww2, am a bit of a lefty, and think it would be cool to shout 'FOR THE MOTHERLAND' when my friends charge their pathetic marines in, oh and Valhallans are expensive, and i already have Cadian models)....

What it would represent is either Valhallans on a different, warmer planet, being forced to ditch the big heavy coats... OR, thinking on it, Cadians...who are russian (Cadians dont have a 'nationality' do they?...)

How does that sound?
Old 08 Jan 2010, 20:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Cadiens are just your average joe soldier nothing really themed about them. The whole red army look is WWII anyway after that the Russians wore and still wear standard military fatigues in the winter they wear fur hats with ordinary camouflaged jackets. In combat though they will ditch the hat for a helmet I see nothing wrong with sticking a hammer and sickle on the shoulder pad it still conveys the same message although a winter cammo scheme would get the point across more.

Another thing you could do to simulate a great coat would be to take a square of a single ply of tissue dip it in water mixed with pva glue and attach it to the models just below the flack armour to make it look like the coat is under the amour. I've seen people do it to make cammo cloaks and when it is painted it looks wel but the texture will be at odds with the arms on the models
Old 08 Jan 2010, 20:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The camo is not a bad idea, but i've no idea how i'd make a winter/redish/woodland camo (see the Spetsnaz in CoD MW2 to see what i'd want to get)...

Also, i've already painted 8-10 of my Cadians in their standard scheme :/ (although i've left decals off), and i'm rather pleased with them , so i dont really fancy changing them, the ONLY thing i've left blank, is their left shoulder-pads, so that when (if ever) i decide on a symbol, i can paint it on

Incidentally, any idea on how to paint on a hammer & sickle? (preferably yellow in a red star/square), that is of course, if i CAN EVEN DO a red star/square! ;D

Also, what would be a better idea?, the simple hammer & sickle (in yellow) on cadian green?

ARGHH... WHY MUST I THINK OF NEW IDEAS EVERY 10 SECONDS!!!

the latest thing is to do red right shoulder (the empty shoulder w/out rank symbols on) pads, and do the soviet symbol on... would that fit w/ green armour khaki fatigues?

thanks for helping me , rest assured i'll think of something else....
Old 08 Jan 2010, 20:49   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick
The camo is not a bad idea, but i've no idea how i'd make a winter/redish/woodland camo (see the Spetsnaz in CoD MW2 to see what i'd want to get)...

Also, i've already painted 8-10 of my Cadians in their standard scheme :/ (although i've left decals off), and i'm rather pleased with them , so i dont really fancy changing them, the ONLY thing i've left blank, is their left shoulder-pads, so that when (if ever) i decide on a symbol, i can paint it on

Incidentally, any idea on how to paint on a hammer & sickle? (preferably yellow in a red star), that is of course, if i CAN EVEN DO a red star! ;D
That spetsnaz camo is a winter mountain/urban cammo the colours are terracotta, black and white I can give you a picture of some cadians in the same basic pattern but with different colours. Their actual woodland camo is is really easy to replicate. White light earth and green
Come to think of it you could use the paper trick I told you about to give them balaclavas under their helmets XD

The hammer and sickle can be done by either carefully painting it with a .5 tipped brush or you can cheat by using a red or black .5 nibbed Bic pen (they write heavy like markers).

For a star I would take square of black tape and very carefully cut out a star with a Stanly blade or scalpel to make a stencil (you'll have to do this very slowly running the tip of the blade over the lines repeatedly to cut the shape without ripping the stencil) or again you could cheat by going around stationary stores looking for sticker sheets that have tiny stars on them, like what a teacher would stick on your home work if it was good. It would also help if you brought one model with you to gauge sizes
Old 08 Jan 2010, 21:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hmmm, thank you for the advise, as it happens i've just completed a guardsmen with the design on his *right* shoulder, i decided to do the whole plate red, and paint on the design , for a first attempt... i'm pretty impressed

Side (w/ a good view of the symbol)

Behind

Now, my questions are 1) does the symbol look good?, and 2) Does the bright red fit well with the green & cream?

my parents liked it, despite the fact they said originally, when i told them my idea that it might not work (bright red & green & cream)... To be honest, i'm quite keen , an army of Commie Guardsmen- For the Motherland! ;D

Be honest though please (dont play it up becuase i like it)

Thank you

Hmmm, speaking to my friend, he says the red clashes w/ the green (although the symbol looks good), now then, i was trying to think about some way to tie the red in, then i remembered the kasrkin camo scheme... although tbh, i'm not much good at camo :/
I'll wait till i get more opinions before i do anything else...