Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Question about the Chimera
Old 26 Dec 2009, 16:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Question about the Chimera

I had an argument the other day during a game with my cousin because of the wording of the Fire point rules and was wondering if you guys could clear this stuff up for me

1. Can the five shots from the top hatch be any weapons being carried by the soldiers inside?
2. Does the Chimera still count as being open topped if the passengers shoot?
3. Do the Passengers shoot at the same target as the Chimera or can they choose a separate target to shoot at?
4. Does the turret count as blocking the line of sight of the passengers preventing them from firing forwards?

This may seem excessive but my cousin is an infuriating hyper competitive nit picker that gives no lee way and tries to use any discrepancy in the rules to screw people over
Old 26 Dec 2009, 17:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Question about the Chimera

Questions 1-3 are answerable by a quick glance at therule book and codex, please use some initiative and read them before making a topic.

1 as the codex says, though there may be lasguns it is any weapon the squad inside has.

2 No it never counts as open topped when passengers fire.

3 RULEBOOK! Are they the same unit? No. They can shoot at something else.

4 To be honest that one I don't know.
Old 26 Dec 2009, 17:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

It was the the wording in the codex that confused me

the passage says 5 models can fire from the Chimera's top hatch but really several are firing from the fixed lasgun emplacement along sides but to make it easier to resolve the shots are taken from the hatch"

The line contradicts itself you can interpret that 5 models can shoot anythign and many people do interpret it this way, but it also seems to imply that the shots are from las guns. Also in the old guard codex and current space marines and witch hunters codecs, imperial transport vehicles count as being open topped when a model fires from the top hatch because the hatch is an open roof not a fire point, however in the new IG codex this isn't stated so I wasn't sure if that rule still stood in the current climate
Old 26 Dec 2009, 17:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

As a general rule of thumb you stick to the entry in the codecs army even if it is a case such as IG chimera, DH chimera. I can see how that is odd. Also new rules are the right ones in the example of old chimera vs. new chimera.

LOS is still an odd one. I don't have much trouble with mine as I pull up sideways for flamer vets inside. Generally if nothing can be found try and decide with the opposing player pre battle or contact GW.
Old 26 Dec 2009, 17:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'm sorry too I was still feeling peeved about my cousin mocking and berating me when he went rules lawyer and took apart my chimeras

I really shouldn't have snapped I'm in the wrong here
Old 26 Dec 2009, 17:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullreken
I'm sorry too I was still feeling peeved about my cousin mocking and berating me when he went rules lawyer and took apart my chimeras

I really shouldn't have snapped I'm in the wrong here
Rule lawyers make everyone like that so don't worry. Most the time I have played we decided the turret doesn't block LOS. But that was in very casual games so we let a lot of things like that slip if there are not airtight rules. Also nothing tales the wind out a rule lawyer more than finding a fault in their rules (just don't become one yourself).
Old 26 Dec 2009, 17:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I dont think I would stoop to that level I prefer to give and take a little lee way to let the game run smooth if I know that something is a blatant cheat like taking a 50 man squad and trying to claim that it combines with the HQ that has a medic to get feel no pain I'll object.
Old 26 Dec 2009, 17:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Well if they say from top hatch then the turret doesn't affect the LOS since the Hatch is ON the turret.

But I'm noticing they modifed the chimera passenger shooting rules from 4th edition though.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2009, 19:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think you may be a little confused between the hatch ( on the top of the chimeara hull with the lasguns either side ) and the pintle mounting whic is on the top of the turret. but i was under the impression that the turret does not block LoS. But that is not set in concrete
field marshel R Ironballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2009, 22:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

It's my understanding that the unit inside is standing up and firing out of the hatch, not firing blind holding the guns out. Given that I'd say it makes sense that the turret would not block LoS (at least not significantly / totally). Maybe a 5+ cover save for shooting over / through the turret? Never really thought about it.
Schev is offline   Reply With Quote