Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ugh...help writing a Guard list?
Old 20 Dec 2009, 11:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler
Default Ugh...help writing a Guard list?

I'm really scratching my head over this, I've been reading the codex, blogs, looking at other lists...I have no idea what kind of Guard army I really want. All I can say is that I'm falling in love with the Catachan models and background the more I look at them, and that the only reason I'm even considering them as a possible second army is because of the valkyrie kit (so whatever army I end up with has to include them :P).

Like I said though I'm kind of confused. I'm not really all that interested in making a foot army, so if I can shy away from infantry platoons for the most part that would be great. I'm interested mostly in veterans and special weapons squads (Catachans like demo charges I hear :P...probably not the most effective option but still). A lot of people take Inquisitorial stormtroopers with meltas and stick them in valkyries/vendettas, should I do this or just stick with veterans squads? Both vets and ISTs would be scoring, but IIRC vets don't have BS4...

I really want to use the Straken and Harker models, too, and I've gotten squads written up with both of them, but I'm not sure what kind of army to build around them. The idea of a CC HQ for Guard sounds kind of ridiculous, but if I'm going to take the guy I have to play to his strengths I suppose. Harker's job is going to be sitting in my backfield, most likely on an objective and shooting at anything that tries to take it with heavy bolters and meltaguns.

The biggest problem I'm facing at the moment is my Fast Attack section (and my Troops like I said, not sure what I want to do there). I like damn near everything...scout sentinels (would be a fluffy addition to a Catachan list), the hellhound and all its variants (just got a new kit so of course they're awesome, and also, fire!!!), and the valkyrie of course which has to be in the list since that's one of the coolest kits GW has to offer. As far as Heavy Support goes, I'm pretty confident I know which leman russ variants I want to use, the only real question I have there is how the hell am I supposed to make an eradicator? The gun looks like the hellhammer turret weapon from the baneblade kit, which I can bits order I guess, but will that fit on a leman russ turret? Is that even the same weapon? Does FW make a kit for it and I just overlooked it?

Anyway, I could use just a little bit of guidance I think. I'm not a super-competitive tournament player or anything, but I'm not interested in wasting my money, either. I want an army that's fun to play, but built to win...which also preferably doesn't rape fluff in the process and has units I like in it. ???

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2009, 11:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Ugh...help writing a Guard list?

To me, you're leaning to an airborne/ mech army...

An interesting concept for you, since you like the Catachan models, a vietnam war style, combined w/ Search & Destroy missions from the valks , oozing character

I ran an air list myself, the trick is to balance anti-tank power w/ numbers... 2 valks & 2 Vendettas do the trick for me. On the point of using storm troopers of vets, i just used vets, Storm troopers are for stuff that is REALLY hard to crack w/ a lasgun, eg Power armour

hope this helps mate
Old 20 Dec 2009, 12:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'd follow Baldrick's advice and take the veterans with the grenadiers doctrine you can get a full squad with a 4+ save and 3 special weapons for less than 10 storm troopers with 2 special weapons. Mount a squad of vets in valk with the demolitions doctrine and you can plant a squad armed with melta bombs and a demo charge on top of your enemies biggest tank and there is very little he or she can do about it.

For the background fluff the Catachans generally only fight in jungles and on death worlds so they need to be fast and mobile in dense terrain so you wont see many tanks attached to a Catachan regiment it doesn't mean you shouldn't take them but fluff wise make good use of sentinels. Their heavy weapon of choice are the heavy bolter or heavy flamer, you should make use of assault type weapons when choosing special weapons.

Old 20 Dec 2009, 14:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

In regard to you comment about the eradicator. i have it on good authority that the guard will be getting their second wave of models in march which will include a new russ box. in this box there will be 4 variants of leman russ. the LRBT, the vanquisher, the exterminator and the eradicator. so i would wait. tho I'm told by the same GW manager that the bainblade hellhammer fits right into the russ turret, but i haven't done this myself
field marshel R Ironballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2009, 17:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

A new wave of models you say? Any idea on what else will be released?
Old 20 Dec 2009, 18:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick
A new wave of models you say? Any idea on what else will be released?
The Battle Missions? It hasn't been explicitly stated. The closes concrete proof anyone has is that the Basilisk in the picture announcing the release has the new sides from the Hellhound kit, but that could easily be a conversion.

As far as the Idea, because Harker is Relentless he could fire his heavy bolter as he drops out of Valk. While it's only three HB shots, the cenematic effect is cool as hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2009, 19:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I say go with the Aircav Vet list. Get your muscly Rambo-lookalikes into action fast with those Valk/Vendetttas, Scout Sents can outflank to help add firepower/move opponent inward, then slap em with fire from your Russes.

Plus the scare factor of 40 or so Rambo's dropping down off rocket flinging aircraft is just too great! ;D
Originally Posted by Shaman from DakkaDakka
Hoping for balance with GW is like hoping to live while playing Russian roulette with a glock.
SteelPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2009, 23:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by field marshel R Ironballs
In regard to you comment about the eradicator. i have it on good authority that the guard will be getting their second wave of models in march which will include a new russ box. in this box there will be 4 variants of leman russ. the LRBT, the vanquisher, the exterminator and the eradicator. so i would wait. tho I'm told by the same GW manager that the bainblade hellhammer fits right into the russ turret, but i haven't done this myself
Yeah I was thinking some new stuff would be on the way, forge world don't even have an eradicator model. To be honest I don't know if GW just dropped the ball , or if they are showing some tactical genius by bringing out a codex legalising tanks you can only get from forge world or not at all (eradicator) in order to reignite interest in the guard when they bring out the new tanks after the new space wolves and nids sets.

I wonder if a whole new variant of the vanquisher's turret will be released too currently all the versions available either have a co-axial heavy stubber or a coaxial twin linked storm bolter. Either way I'm still sticking with my STYGIES VIII vanquisher it takes pride of place in my tank company it was well worth shilling out £10 for the turret
Old 21 Dec 2009, 00:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

A new russ kit would be great, but all I've heard about the Battle Missions releases is that a new chimera and basilisk kit are coming, haven't heard anything about the russ until now.

As for the fluff, I recall reading in the codex that an Elysian and Catachan regiment merged to create an all new regiment, the 314th Prosan. That sounds awesome, because I really like the Elysian models too, and it would give me the opportunity to make a really fluffy, themed army with my favorite elements from both. But then taking Straken and Harker would be kinda weird because they're part of the Catachan II.

I dunno, trying to strike a balance between fluffy and efficient is difficult. GW rarely ever makes the fluffy options the most useful.

On a completely unrelated note, I love the Nork Deddog background. I'll never use him myself, but he's such an awesome character.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2009, 08:15   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hmmm I dunno, personally I detest Catachan models & love Elysians...

I'd never do a conversion w/ then (Cats & E's) because i reckon it'd look odd... still though, if you want to do it- Go for it
One thing though, it'd cost an unholy amount of £/$/(Euro sign)