Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Success Vs Necrons
Old 18 Dec 2009, 03:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Success Vs Necrons

I've been playing my friend who has recently picked up Necrons a fair bit lately, normally running shooty mech lists. I had been having a lot of trouble beating him because of hidden Lords with res orbs negating my high strength shooting. Today I tried a different tact.

I ran a combat oriented Company Command Squad with a power weapon on the commander, an attached Lord Commissar w/power weapon, a Priest with Eviscerator, a body guard, and 4 melta troops. I of course had all of them in a Chimera and the CCS had carapace armor. 8 power weapon attacks, with 11 on the charge - nice!

This squad killed a squad of 3 Heavy Destroyers in combat (foolishly moved in a poor position trying to zoom up to get side shots on a LRBT), survived a turn of shooting from a Monolith and a squad of 10 warriors, and then moved on to sweep that squad and the Lord attached to it. It was very useful having several multi-wound characters in the squad to distribute wounds to in order to keep the squad alive and pressing forward.

The CCS was aided by a 5 man Psyker Battle Squad sitting in a Chimera launching Weaken Resolve against units the CCS would be charging, making it more difficult for them to stick it out in combat. With Necrons low initiative, I had the advantage on sweeping advance rolls. I obviously had great success with this strategy in this game. Do you think it's a valid strategy versus Necron in general?

I also tried running 2 Vendettas as an anti-Monolith tool (as well as ferry veteran squads), but they pretty much whiffed every time. What are your thoughts on using them against it? I know a lot of people will say to just ignore it, but he uses it to great effect to double up on WBB rolls, so I think it needs dealt with.

To further enhance my combat prowess I also ran a squad of 5 Ogryn in a Chimera, but it was DoW deployment and by the time they made it in they didn't even need to get out of their Chimera. Because of this I can't really comment on their usefulness against Necrons.

My opponent was completely taken off guard by a combat oriented approach, so I don't know if I will have such luck in the future, but it was very amusing to set the Necron reeling for a change! =)
Schev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2009, 05:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Success Vs Necrons

I play both Imperial Guard and Necrons.

To beat a monolith you just want lots of lovely ordanance they still get 2D6 and pick the highest with a demolisher you have a good chance of penetrating. While close combat is bad for necrons your opponent handled it very badly and made a lot of tactical errors. For example your command should have been dead very early especially if immorts and normal destroyers are around. The chimera should have been opened and the contents flayed out of existence quickly.

I do agree that is a good setup as CC armies are always a pain in the ass for me (except space wolves).
Old 18 Dec 2009, 13:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yeh like I said he didn't handle things very well as he was completely surprised by a combat build. It was DoW deployment and he didn't get his destroyers until turn 4 and didn't have any immortals. I forgot that ordinance's 2D6 would work against the Monolith, what with it's crazy no additional penetration shenanigans.
Old 18 Dec 2009, 13:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Why were his destroyers in reserve?

Things that don't work on a monolith:
Melta guns or anything that uses 2D6 (except ordanance)
Lance weapons
Models always use unaugmented strength
;D

Other than that i can see the list as being quite effective if the necron player doesn't have the means to support his troops.
Old 18 Dec 2009, 13:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Dawn of War is 2 Troop selections and 1 HQ selection start on the board, with everything else in reserve.
Old 18 Dec 2009, 13:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schev
Dawn of War is 2 Troop selections and 1 HQ selection start on the board, with everything else in reserve.
Correction:

Dawn of war is 2 troops and a HQ
anything not declared in reserve must enter the table edge in the players first movement turn, ergo don't put anything in reserve and you have your army in turn 1 movement phase
Old 18 Dec 2009, 14:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hrm, I do see that now, thanks! Guess we were playing a modified game then. My first time playing DoW.