Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Sly Marbo Playstyle
Old 16 Dec 2009, 01:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Sly Marbo Playstyle

I've been running Marbo a fair bit lately (as it turns out I often have 65 points left lying around), and I've been using him as I've seen widely described online. That is, dropping him in and demo charging a unit off the board. The problem with this is that he then promptly dies to retaliatory fire. This seems to be widely viewed as valid and acceptable.

My question is that, with Marbo's close combat prowess, would it not be better to hold him back near your deployment zone safely in cover / out of range / out of line of sight as a counter charge unit, or screen him forward with advancing assaulty command squads?

Has anyone had any luck fielding Marbo as a tool for combat or does everyone use him just for a demo charge anywhere on the board that distracts enemy shooting the next turn?
Schev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2009, 07:37   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Sly Marbo Playstyle

his surprise demo charge is the way to go. I like to deep strike him into cover, so he can go to ground. Then, when he survives shooting, and your dumb ass player assaults him, he is in close combat, and still a distraction.

Sly going to ground (in cover) is a +2. But don't drop him in near a flamer.

Using him as an infantry man is dumb. There are units that can do the job better, and survive, AND hold objectives. Use Sly for his speed, and even more, for the threat. Every turn he doesn't come in, your opponent will sweat bullets, and possibly make a tactical mistake.
Jayne Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2009, 12:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I hadn't considered how good going to ground with him would be. However, I doubt any of my opponents would be silly enough to actually charge him. Have to give that a try I suppose. Thanks.
Old 17 Dec 2009, 13:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you do that then remember that units charging through cover into a unit that has Gone To Ground do not reduce their Initiative to 1.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2009, 15:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
I like to deep strike him into cover, so he can go to ground. Then, when he survives shooting, and your dumb dyi player assaults him, he is in close combat, and still a distraction.
I have done the same thing. My opponent charge him and fail to hit Marbo. I retaliate which kill only 3 of his troops.
Shas_O Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2009, 15:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Sounds like a winning combat to me. 3 extra wounds or good chance of them running away. That and you can use hit and run to charge in again on your next turn. That's exactly why I think Marbo would be good in a combat role. His high initiative would roll through units with sweeping advance.
Old 17 Dec 2009, 16:32   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

It really makes people think about one little man, in stead of your chimeras with three melta vets inside. That puts them out of position, and gives you the edge. Plus, once in a while the Charge will do some serious damage.
Jayne Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2009, 16:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Indeed, that's the prevailing wisdom I've always heard. I was just curious if anyone had tried to get more out of Marbo. Apparently not.
Old 17 Dec 2009, 19:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

You know the old saying, dont fix it if it's not broken. On his own all Sly can ever be is glimmer man he strikes and if you're lucky not to die you see a glimps of him as he's dissapearing into the bushes. Very useful for slowing/softening the enemy and bolstering the line in an assault most people use him in just that way. The only other strategy I've seen him used in is the Marbo/Callidus Assassin combo. Marbo Deep strikes and uses the demo charge to bust a transport or soften a tough squad then the Callidus Assassin uses neural shredder which uses a flame template and deals instant death before running in with with the c'tan sword that denies all saves, if any troops are left Marbo can join the assault next turn and help finish them off.
Old 17 Dec 2009, 20:32   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Hey, skullreken, could you clean up your grammar a bit?

Specifically separating ideas and such with punctuation.

If, so, that would be awesome! We pride good grammar and spelling on Tauonline.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote