Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

demolisher, punisher or executioner?
View Poll Results: what should i equip my new Leman russ with, I got the demolisher set and i just dont know, Also any
Demolisher seige cannon 22 40.00%
Punisher gatling cannon 15 27.27%
Executioner plasma cannon 18 32.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 Dec 2009, 00:39   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default demolisher, punisher or executioner?

what should i equip my new Leman russ with, I got the demolisher set and i just dont know, Also any ideas on sponsons or the front gun would be great as well
Davicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2009, 01:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.
Default Re: demolisher, punisher or executioner?

Given how all of these weapon have radically different roles on the battlefield, what do you intend to use this tank for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2009, 02:17   #3 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Demolisher; Short Range All-Comer's Best Friend. You're able to smash away most opposition (at short range). Tanks; Str 10 + 2D6 (Choose Highest). TEQs/MCs; You're AP2. Horde; You're already firing a Large Blast Template at them. I think the old Hull-mounted Lascannon and Heavy Bolter Sponsons combo is good enough for it.

Punisher; Anti-Personel Cannon. Mostly use to take down Horde armies. Heavy Bolters or even Heavy Flamers (if you expect them to run towards you) are a good choice of Hull-mounted and Sponson weaponry.

Executioner; Master TEQ-Killer. You already throwing out 3 Plasma Blasts so why not add another 2 just in case those Terminators suddenly come in 10s. Hull-mounted Lascannon will bring one more AP2 shot.

Depending on the rest of your list you may use the Leman Russ to fill the gap.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2009, 02:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Punisher just looks and feels too cool.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2009, 06:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to AfrikA Send a message via Yahoo to AfrikA

Don't glue the guns in place, use magnets. Then you can field any one of the three configurations.

My Vote went to the Demolisher though. It's a tried and rested tank that's been the IG choice for extreme fire power for a few editions of the game now. The Executioner and Punisher are more situational, where you have to use them against the right targets. The demolisher don't care because it will hurt any thing. It's a solid all round tank at a cheaper cost than the other two. Zenai's hit the nail on the head.

I prefer to go all out with my demolisher by giving it plasma cannons and lascannons for some serious AP2 action.

"This plan is so perfect it's retarded."
AfrikA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2009, 08:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

AfrikA already covered my suggestion...leave them open to change. As for me, I would take a Demolisher. There's nothing in the game they cannot hurt, and therefore they're the best all-rounders points can buy.

Hive Fleet Omukade: 8/0/0
Raven Guard: 8/2/0

Latest Result: Wipeout victory for the Tyranids!

irishdelinquent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2009, 14:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I would take the Demolisher, barring situational needs for the others. I run my Demolishers with just a hull mounted lascannon, as with 24" range on the cannon you find yourself moving much of the time, negating the benefits of any pricey sponson upgrades.

Executioners are nice kitted out with plasma cannon sponsons, but the point cost is exorbitant and they tend to die early for me because they are such large threats. Demolishers don't seem to get the same treatment because of their short range / single blast. At least until a squad of terminators or a couple of Tau battle suits disappear under its cleansing fire. =)

I personally think Punishers are way overcosted for what they do.
Schev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2009, 14:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schev
I personally think Punishers are way overcosted for what they do.
I agree their weapons range is too short and the main gun isnt powerful enough to justify getting close to the enemy using "lumbering bahemoth" if you're planning to park it in a defensive position and mow down anything that tries to get close it's a good investment but for less points you could field 2 hydras their guns are twin linked, far stronger and have a range almost tripple that of the punishers

My personal choice is the demolisher thre is very little that it's main gun cant hurt
Old 15 Dec 2009, 20:28   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I think i will use the magnets but i would probably use the demolisher cannon more often than the others
Davicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2009, 23:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thats a good choice you can always have the option to change the turret to suit the opponent
also do the same with your sponsons they're not always worth the price. If you use putty or blue tact to stick the roof of the sponson mount you can remove it and change the the guns inside