Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Army refit and rebuild
Old 10 Dec 2009, 22:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Army refit and rebuild

Okay so I was in the process of building up my guard army before the new codex came out then I had to drop warhammer for a while now that I'm back it's a whole new board game and I have to rethink the army a bit some things will have to be scrapped other things I can keep I'd like to hear what other people have to say about my options and choices

I suppose first thing I should ask about is my storm troopers. I have 2 squads of kasrkins upgraded with melta and plasma guns with the new codex they are way more expensive. Although the mission rules and new stat line for the hotshot las guns/ hell guns are good I'm not sure if they are worth it should I just field 5 man squads with up graded weapons? Or should I use the "counts as" rule to make them count as veterans kitted with a different uniform to mark their seniority and armed with normal las guns that have a high capacity ammo drums strapped to their backs, then give them special weapons and mount them in my auto cannon chimera conversions? I kind of like my second idea if the situation called for it I could use the grenadier doctrine to get the 4+ I just want be sure I'm not making a poor decision in salvaging my kasrkins.

Second, I used to make use of a basilisk and always hid it in a corner behind cover with some defending troops and just lobbed shells indirectly. I didn't move it much because it tended to stay out of danger and if enemies did manage to close in on it, it tended to get destroyed pretty quickly. So I was thinking would it be worth while switching to an earthshaker platform? The updated platform profile in the IA FAQ on forge world has better armour although it still suffers the automatically destroyed penalty for glancing and penetrating hits seeing as I wouldn't be using it as mobile artillery anyway a stationary gun would suit my needs and be more cost effective is it a good idea or is it a waste?

If I was to use the platform would a single gun count as one heavy support slot or would it allow for a battery of 3 to be used, the IA update takes tank squadrons and new point costs into account but doesn't say anything about gun batteries in relation to heavy support slots in the force organisation section.

My last question about the earthshaker platform regards one version of the model called the earthshaker emplacement which is built into a sand bagged gun pit, is it a legitimate model to use in an army list? Stationary artillery units would normally build defensive structures around their ordinance in case they get stormed and in that case because the sand bags obscure about 50% of the gun does it confer a cover save? I know the rules state that rocks and terrain features stuck on a model's base are ignored and don't confer cover saves because you cant carry terrain with you but seeing as the pit is a structure and the gun cant move after deployment would this be an exception to the rule?

I'm also thinking of adopting hunter killer combo in my tank squadrons I'm thinking of using Pask in a basic vanquisher to take heavy hitting vehicles at a distance backed up by a demolisher armed with a heavy flamer and plasma sponsons to smash any tank hunters that start to come into a range where they pose a threat. I'm not sure about keeping my tech priest and servo arm servitors advancing behind the tanks with the troops they're screening they may be useful for fixing broken weapons but the fact that in a squadron immobilised= wrecked means they wont be earning their full points value
Old 16 Dec 2009, 02:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Army refit and rebuild

I run Kasrkin as grenadier veterans with no qualms.

A Demolisher with a heavy flamer sounds pretty bizarre / bad to me. I run Demolishers for the cannon, and if you're in range to use the flamer template, there's a very real chance of the cannon drifting back into your own tank. There are a lot easier ways to get heavy flamers, so I don't really follow your reasoning there. I guess if you only ever roll hits on the scatter die it might be ok!
Schev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2009, 11:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schev
There are a lot easier ways to get heavy flamers, so I don't really follow your reasoning there. I guess if you only ever roll hits on the scatter die it might be ok!
I was thinking of using the blast templates to do most of my fighting and saving the flamer for for situations where infiltraters or deep strikers got the drop on me and were in close enough range to make my weapons a hazard to myself, that way I could manouver and scorch them
Old 16 Dec 2009, 12:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

What kind of list are you generally running? My Demolishers are normally not on their own to the extent that they would be the only thing capable of dealing with surprises near them. Has this actually been successful for you or is this something you're just wanting to try out?
Schev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2009, 17:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I use my demolisher in a vanguard role either sticking close to my artillery or supporting my vanquisher I tried the flamer in a 1000 point game recently a Valkyrie dropped a squad on my Demolisher and legged it I was lucky enough that they rolled badly in their assault so I was able to move away and torch them as I went I don't think I would have done so well if I had of taken a hull mounted heavy bolter