Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Why No Techpriests?
Old 07 Dec 2009, 22:42   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Why No Techpriests?

Since I am in the process of increasing the size of my armoured guard force, I have been having a good look at the Techpriest Enginseer option. However, I am yet to find any fielded in any of the recent Mech lists here on TO, and many of them have been posted by experienced players.
As far as I can tell, the Techpriest seems like a good option: The ability to repair damaged vehicles would definitely come in useful, and with a unit of servitors, they can make a reasonable (not brilliant, but reasonable) CC unit, and there are many cases where I would rather have them die in combat than my tanks.
So is there something that I don't know? Why have I not seen any in the Mech Guard lists?
“Everything’s standard pattern! This is the Imperial fething Guard! Standard pattern boots, standard pattern mess tins, standard pattern bodybags! I’m a standard pattern infantryman, you’re a standard pattern no-neck, and any second now my standard pattern fist is going to send your nose bone back into your very sub-standard pattern brain!” – Sergeant Ceglan Varl, Guns of Tanith - Dan Abnett
Standard Pattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Dec 2009, 04:51   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Why No Techpriests?

We rather spend our points on more dakka :P
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Dec 2009, 06:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Aye

I like dakka. And those points are well spent on more.

Also they can't take a tansport and I play mechanised so a no there.
Old 08 Dec 2009, 16:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

yea that was the same for me too, no chimera
field marshel R Ironballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Dec 2009, 16:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

It is stupid that the army they are best in is mechanised yet they can't because you would have to buy them an expensive valkyrie no nice cheap chimera.
Old 08 Dec 2009, 17:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

They are best used in one of two ways, as far as I can tell. You sit them next to stationary vehicles (like basilisks or the like), or you give them a couple of gun servitors, sit them in cover, and use them as a mini heavy weapons squad.

Presumably, you could buy a big unit and try to use them as a close combat squad, but that seems like a bad idea.

With them no longer being Independent Characters without servitors, they can't be attached to units. So they can't ride with another unit, and they can't take their own dedicated transport. As unholy said, you'd have to buy them a Valkyrie to drive them around.
Old 08 Dec 2009, 21:21   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

You could give them a Chimera from one of the Veteran Squads who will be riding in a valkyire. The only thing is that they will not enter play in it. All you do is, first turn, mount them up, and the Chimera can then move.
“Everything’s standard pattern! This is the Imperial fething Guard! Standard pattern boots, standard pattern mess tins, standard pattern bodybags! I’m a standard pattern infantryman, you’re a standard pattern no-neck, and any second now my standard pattern fist is going to send your nose bone back into your very sub-standard pattern brain!” – Sergeant Ceglan Varl, Guns of Tanith - Dan Abnett
Standard Pattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Dec 2009, 06:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to AfrikA Send a message via Yahoo to AfrikA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard Pattern
You could give them a Chimera from one of the Veteran Squads who will be riding in a valkyire. The only thing is that they will not enter play in it. All you do is, first turn, mount them up, and the Chimera can then move.
And there is the problem. Who would go though all that trouble when they could just have more guns, or another tank for the same cost. You could fix a broken tank or just use those points and get an extra one. Tech priests aren't cheap.

If I was fielding my Baneblade I'd think about bringing a tech priest, but russes aren't worth it.

"This plan is so perfect it's retarded."
AfrikA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Dec 2009, 08:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Forge World really should have released a Tech-Priest model by now that features tracked rather than bipedal locomotion.

That would be rather cool.
"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..." ~ Terry Pratchett
ParadoxRifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Dec 2009, 18:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

they have, its called the atlas and its pretty good 4 its points, but still not worth it in standard games
field marshel R Ironballs is offline   Reply With Quote