Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Should I go Eradicator or Hellhound!
Old 03 Dec 2009, 03:05   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Should I go Eradicator or Hellhound!

Ok. I'm trying to revamp my army a bit and I'm trying to decide should I go with an eradicator with two plasma cannons hitting at 200 pts. Or should I go with a hellhound with a multi-melta with smoke for 150 pts.

The eradicator is has more armour and range than the hellhound. Also the plasma cannons is a nice option in case I go against a marine type army.

The hellhound is cheaper but have less range and is not geared to killing many marines. I'm taking the multi-melta so it can be a tank killer if need be. The banewolf is not a bad pick. But it has shorter range than the hound. If I went the bane option I would do a heavy flamer instead of the melta option which would hit me for 135 pts.

Or I could run both in my army. I'll probably do the bane instead of the hound. Both units would hit me for 335 pts which means I'll have to do some rearranging with my list.

So should I do the banewolf, hellhound, or executioner. Than again I can do both. I really don't know.
Old 03 Dec 2009, 03:09   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Should I go Eradicator or Hellhound!

Eradicator! Good tank to have around. Kills any (except those with Armor Saves better than 4+) bugging infantry hiding in cover. Plasma can take out a good number of Marines and Terminators.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2009, 03:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Cool thanks. So I got 1 vote for the eradicator. You just got to love that name. I figure the cannons would make it a multi-purpose anti-infantry tank. I still think 200 pts is close to hitting land raider country. But the more I look at it the more pleasing to the eye the tank is looking to be. It does the hellhounds job at range. Still want more input before I stick to this option.
Old 03 Dec 2009, 03:19   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Meh, I think about 200 Points is the okay for any Leman Russ. Mine would be if I have put more upgrades on them but I need those points for something else e.g. Sly Marbo.
Old 03 Dec 2009, 03:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

it really does depend on what you want to accomplish with the unit, theres a leman russ for every situation. if your looking to kill Meqs then a LRBT is a good way to go. want to kill a tank, go for the vanquisher, want to kill hordes, go punisher. then use the sponsons to either augment that role, or do the opposite for allround balance, ie a punisher with Hbolter sponson for even more troop killing, or with multimeltas for tank hunting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2009, 03:48   #6 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

The Eradicator Nova Cannon ignores cover and it's AP4. That's why Chicop is considering it rather than the Punisher.
Old 03 Dec 2009, 03:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

ah, i see, got it confused with the autocannon variant, too many of then begin with E.

if denying cover is your goal then it sounds like the best choice. much more survivable that a hellhound, but not as fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2009, 03:59   #8 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

The point of a Fast Hellhound variant is that their weapon is short (or rather Template) range. They rush in and flame everything. Rinse and Repeat if they aren't shot up too badly. Leman Russ have the luxury have having longer range weaponry at their disposal thus they just have to sit back and lob ordnance. Of course, they fair chance of being shot up as well since they're as likely to be shot at as a Land Raider.
Old 03 Dec 2009, 04:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Zenai pretty much sold me on the eradicator. With the build I'm going I'll be able to eradicate any troop. I may proxy a banewolf with heavy flamer to see if it works with the eradicator. I don't think the wolf would really help do to the amount of meltas and plasmas I'll be feilding. Also the amount of heavy flamers will be a lot too. 1 wolf is easily worth 2 chimeras with heavy flamers.
Old 03 Dec 2009, 04:33   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I vote eradicator and banewolf. Forces your opponent to pick the bigger threat and complement each other really well.

Just one thing: don't put a heavy flamer on the banewolf. Double templates is nice but wound allocation will have sarges and spec wep marines take armor saves against mild heat while regular joes eat their share of the military grade tabasco sauce. Sure they may die still but maybe they'll just say yum and give you crispy melta surprise and a can opener glove in return like a good neighbor.