Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

First battle. Any advice?
Old 22 Nov 2009, 06:41   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default First battle. Any advice?

Just recently I played my first game of 40k, with my Guard army, against Orks. It was a 750 points game and somehow I won, although it was only his third game and he was being nice. My army is here http://tauonline.org/index.php?conte...y=554&army=554.
I'm mostly going to be playing against Orks, Space Marines and Necrons, although there is a slight chance of Tau.
Any advice (I can roughly tell you what his list was if you want it)?

98% of the world plays World of Warcraft or any other type of MMO. If your one of the 2% that doesn't, post this into your signature.

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig

(\_/) this is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.

Diplomacy: The art of saying 'nice doggy' until your sniper gets the range.
Aussiegamer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2009, 12:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: First battle. Any advice?

Well the thing I've struggled with (as a Tau player) is the sheer number of troops and shots the IG's get. Use your numbers - overwhelm the enemy with your artillery.
A trusty weapon (e.g railgun) can only do so much. :'(

Please take a look at this thread !!!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,98302.0.html
xenoscd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2009, 12:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

That CCS looks pretty expencive...devistator fire on that could be a blow to yor plans.

Also looks like your Infantry platoons are rather stationary with the Heavy Bolters...Ork mobs may also be a problem, as your main offence is Scout Sentinals, it looks like...

BTW, Welcome to the Forums! ;D
Originally Posted by Shaman from DakkaDakka
Hoping for balance with GW is like hoping to live while playing Russian roulette with a glock.
SteelPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2009, 18:22   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks. With the heavy bolters, I decided to make my infantry static. But because I've got some spare models (a couple of guardsmen and another heavy bolter), do you think that I should just make bare basic infantry squads along with a heavy weapon squad?

98% of the world plays World of Warcraft or any other type of MMO. If your one of the 2% that doesn't, post this into your signature.

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig

(\_/) this is bunny.

Old 23 Nov 2009, 06:32   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Guard are intrinsically fragile, and so therefore any expensive unit is going to be a fire magnet. Even with a medic, the command squad is still fairly easy to kill. Having each man armed with a plasma gun means that each unsaved wound is a loss of 20 odd points, not to mention if the medic dies. I find it is sometimes more effective to spread the special weapons out between the infantry squads, giving you nine ablative wounds to use before losing the plasma gunner, and meaning that the loss of any one particular squad is no big deal.
Guardsmen die - accept it, and plan accordingly. Don't rely too heavily on any one unit.

You have no serious anti-tank capacity either - even in small games this can be a problem. I can (cheesily) fit two Leman Russes into that points cost, and you are almost unable to hurt them. Perhaps run one or two of the sentinels with lascannons?

Also, for extra cheese, you could put your sentinels into three units of one each, making them more versatile and harder to kill.

Hope this helps.
“Everything’s standard pattern! This is the Imperial fething Guard! Standard pattern boots, standard pattern mess tins, standard pattern bodybags! I’m a standard pattern infantryman, you’re a standard pattern no-neck, and any second now my standard pattern fist is going to send your nose bone back into your very sub-standard pattern brain!” – Sergeant Ceglan Varl, Guns of Tanith - Dan Abnett
Standard Pattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2009, 22:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

You definetly need some Heavy Support. I might say a Leman Russ or Demolisher or a Punisher (For whittly down those large infantry groups).
Shas_O Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2009, 05:16   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks. I'm getting a Leman Russ soon, and as I haven't fully attached the plasma guns yet, I might change the Command Squad back down to lasguns. Might also make a Special Weapons Squad.
Thanks people. It really helps. Also, as I'm seeing a friend with Space Marines this weekend, any advice? I know he's got a Captain, some Tactical squads and a dreadnought, but that's all I know.

(\_/) this is bunny.

Old 24 Nov 2009, 09:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

1 bit of Advice.

Being an Aussie instantly puts you in an odd spot on international forums. Most international lists are made for no comp envirnments with the aim of beating highly competitive builds.

Aussie lists are alot softer, so take heed to what the foreigners say and what they advise.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 04:56   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks JD. I'll keep my eyes open.

(\_/) this is bunny.

Old 25 Nov 2009, 05:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Since your other two opponents are necrons and marines, I would think the battlecannon is your best friend. I am not a fan of giving guardsmen plasguns. You end up just losing your model if you fire full blast. maybe for stormtroopers but that's about it. If you want to get hardcore I would suggest 2 Lemans with bolter sponsons as a good start. Yeah its kind of overpowering battlecannon for such a small list but if that's what you are looking for...

As for troops with heavy weapons vs hvy weapons units, I found that troops become bogged down by their heavy weapon and are better off with an assault weapon so you are still moving them around. Get your heavy AT stuff from your Lemans and Sentinels, leave the grunts with rifles IMO.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote