Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Regimental Advisors
View Poll Results: What is your favorite Regimental Advisor(s)?
Astropath 11 20.37%
Officer of the Fleet 21 38.89%
Master of Ordnance 22 40.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18 Nov 2009, 02:47   #1 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Regimental Advisors

We have celebrate much over the inclusion of these Regimental Advisors which boosted the support abilities of the already tried-and-true Company Command Squad. For months, I've been playing them for a bit but I've never quite pick which one should I use.

For most of my time, I've played with Officer of the Fleet and Bodyguards. Officer of the Fleet to dissuade people from outflanking me and Bodyguards to soak up the wounds. I wanted to replace the OotF with Master of Ordnance but I never like the 3D6 "must" scatter for those target that's out of LoS.

What are your 2 cents on the matter? What's your favorite Regimental Advisors? Should I replace the OotF with MoO?
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2009, 06:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987
Default Re: Regimental Advisors

I must say that I'm a big fan of the Officer of the Fleet. The ability to stall opponents from bringing in their reserves is rather helpful and can give you a better opportunity to get your units into position to fire on Outflanking units or make it harder for Deep Striking units to land.

With the Astropath, I find that his use is rather limited to if you have reserves or not, and if you want them to be coming in sooner or later (Depending on your tactics).

The Master of Ordnance is nice and fairly priced for what he gives you, but the 3D6 for scatter 2/3rds of the time (Average roll of 10 or 11) makes hitting what you want, or even near what you want, near impossible. You do get the advantage of Line of Sight, which is nice. However, with most people taking Chimeras for their Command Squads, giving them the ability to still give out orders with a bigger area to give them from (The whole haul instead of the base of the model), it still doesn't alleviate them from moving. With 5th (As everyone knows...) being mostly Objective based, mobility for your troops is key, and with the Command Squad, keeping your Company Commander in range of them will limit your options to: 1) Using his orders on closer units that you don't really want to use them on in order to use Artillery Bombardment - or - 2) Moving to give orders to the unit you want while loosing your Artillery Bombardment for the turn.

Bodyguards are just nice to keep your order-giving Commander alive longer. Though, again, with Chimeras being an almost sure buy for the squad, you almost don't need them. Maybe just one in case it blows up so you can allocate the Commander's wound to him... *Shrugs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2009, 06:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

i must admit that when I make a list I don't put MOO or OotF or Astropath I just pput regimental advisor. This is because it really depends on the army you are against.
For instance:
Nids usually have quite a bit trying to outflank and come in on reserves> OotF
Orks are normally all down at the start (and if you don't have reserves) you take a MoO

Enemies with a high model count are perfect for a MoO and his bad scatter as you will probably scatter into something else.
Old 18 Nov 2009, 06:56   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy Harbinger
i must admit that when I make a list I don't put MOO or OotF or Astropath I just pput regimental advisor. This is because it really depends on the army you are against.
For instance:
Orks are normally all down at the start (and if you don't have reserves) you take a MoO
I'm pretty sure that will get you the "Cheating Git" award. It's like CSM's Combi-Weapon; it says Combi-Weapon but you still need to specify which Combi-Weapon you're using.

I'm with ya when it comes to Astropath; got nothing in Reserves to make him useful even with Marbo; he just pops up anywhere he wants.
Old 18 Nov 2009, 15:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Quote:
For instance:
I'm pretty sure that will get you the "Cheating Git" award. It's like CSM's Combi-Weapon; it says Combi-Weapon but you still need to specify which Combi-Weapon you're using.

I'm with ya when it comes to Astropath; got nothing in Reserves to make him useful even with Marbo; he just pops up anywhere he wants.
I should note I use a all comers list and I decide that guy before I know the opponents list. anyway I don't use them in my current army. It isn't like I wait until deployment,
Old 18 Nov 2009, 16:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
For instance:

I should note I use a all comers list and I decide that guy before I know the opponents list. anyway I don't use them in my current army. It isn't like I wait until deployment,
Though what you do isn't quite cheating as you pick before knowing lists, if you were to take a list that just said "Regimental Adviser" to a tournament, they would make you specify which one it was before you could enter. Mostly because it's such a vague term for three different abilities, and it would allow changes to be made to your list between games, which is cheating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2009, 16:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't play tournaments.

I play at my LGS where sticking to one advisor won't work due to the amount o different armies there is. As 2/3 the time they would be useless.
Old 18 Nov 2009, 23:36   #8 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:

I play at my LGS where sticking to one advisor won't work due to the amount o different armies there is. As 2/3 the time they would be useless.
That's like saying Flamers aren't effective against Terminators and Carnifexes but you'r taking it anyway just in case you going up against the likes of Hormogaunts, Guardsmen and Ork Boyz.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 15:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Quote:

That's like saying Flamers aren't effective against Terminators and Carnifexes but you'r taking it anyway just in case you going up against the likes of Hormogaunts, Guardsmen and Ork Boyz.
I don't understand your argument.
Old 22 Nov 2009, 16:28   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Master of ordnance had my vote.

;D

Please take a look at this thread !!!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,98302.0.html
xenoscd is offline   Reply With Quote