Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Harakoni warhawks....
Old 07 Nov 2009, 16:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Harakoni warhawks....

ok... so iim doing airborne guard....

i rather like the harakoni warhawks... anyway... i was wondering about their uniform, i've heard its sandy armour and black cloth? i've done my guys in the cadian scheme though (but i havent applied decals) could it be justified fluff wise depending in the environment they fight in?.... eg you wouldnt wear sandy armour in the middle of an ice wasteland, you'd wear blues and whites and greys wouldnt you?

2 questions

1) presumably they'd adapt their uniform for different environments?, eg in my case, to a woodland/grassy terrain....
2) i hear they wear carapace armour... however, if there was a forward 'recon' force of warhawks.... do you reckon they'd wear standard flak armour? they are light infantry i suppose...

i reckon i could justify fluff really...theres so little info about... just wanted advice so it would all make sense...

cheers guys

Old 07 Nov 2009, 17:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Harakoni warhawks....

The Cadians are heavily enough armored that you could say something to the extent of they are wearing "lighter/thinner" carapace armor to make air insertions easier.

The Harakoni are a heavy infantry army but i suppose there is a place for lighter armor.

I would assume that the guard would adapt their armor to the place in which they are fighting. Since 9/10 cover is all that saves their life, The emperor may protect but cover works better.
Old 07 Nov 2009, 18:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Harakoni are a pretty practical regiment so I imagine they'd repaint their gear to suit their combat environment, though there certainly are regiments who always wear the same gear no matter what the terrain.

As far as the Cadian rationalization, I really don't think stock cadian models cut it. Kasrkin would be a near perfect substitute going off the 4th ed guard dex sketch, but Cadian flak just isn't the same thing. Harakoni really don't strike me as the type to have a light infantry group. Their troops are described as being essentially identical to Stormtroopers in training. I know it makes me sound like an elitist jerk, but if they aren't visibly modeled as Harakoni, then they aren't Harakoni; they're just cadians with valkyries.

It's the same any regiment. I grind my teeth anytime I see someone with what they call a Steel Legion army and the models are cadians painted beige.
Old 07 Nov 2009, 18:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

well... for the fact that harakoni models dont exist... and the fact that kasrkins are over twice the price , i use cadians... it also allows me for more variation in the models themselves, though i must admit i do LOVE the kasrkin ;D

anyway, back on topic, i assume recon would use lighter armour than harakoni regulars, personally i dont believe regiments are always equipped the same... i mean, could you imagine EVERY SINGLE cadian (from say one of the notable regiments) to be equipped exactly the same?, personally i doubt it, you'd have different guys, eg Grenadiers, who are equipped slightly differently, my idea is essentially the same, except w/ armour ;D

cheers for the point on uniform though, though i must admit, i dont think ill be swayed on fluff, just want other opinions thats all

name-wise i was thinking of somethin like the Harakoni 4th recon, dunno though... also, i'll have to think of a nick-name
Old 07 Nov 2009, 21:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You could justify their lighter armor as being the consequence of a certain terrain type. Perhaps the unit's commissar could have ordered they to remove the heavier armor due to the conditions they are fighting under.

Its just and idea, but you could say they were dropped in behind enemy lines to support a breakthrough on the main front, but the breakthrough failed so they have to move quicker, and can't risk the same "loud and proud" tactics they once could.
beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Nov 2009, 22:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Death-Merchant

why don't you just choose another regiment.....
Death-Merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2009, 10:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

@ sneezypanda.... well, the only other regiments i know are airborne are:-

. Tanhellian airborne... use loads of guys to saturate the enemy, i prefer the elite role of paratroopers
.Elysians, the models are expensive, plus i already have a couple of squads of the cadian models...
. Phantine Skyborne, i dont really know enough about them :/

Old 08 Nov 2009, 11:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Make up your own! Thats the funnest part about this hobby, atleast for me. Make up your own color scheme, army quirks (eg. My pure white Chainsword), make up some fluff if you feel like it. Then you have an army 100% of your own creation ;D

Thats the funnest part, atleast for me. Crushing enemys troops dosent hurt either though :
Originally Posted by Shaman from DakkaDakka
Hoping for balance with GW is like hoping to live while playing Russian roulette with a glock.
SteelPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2009, 12:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

thats an idea at least... i had already thought of some fluff for em really...

my idea was that they were from a paradise/civilised world much like our own, called something like Eden or something similar, how does that sound?....

anyway... i kinda like the idea of a 'force recon' force, like the USMC have... been playing too much CoD 4 ;D
Old 08 Nov 2009, 17:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Death-Merchant

we've been suggesting that idea to you for months now... :shifty:
Death-Merchant is offline   Reply With Quote