Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Guard and Combined Arms
Old 03 Nov 2009, 23:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default The Guard and Combined Arms

This has always sort of puzzled me about the Imperial Guard. The codex claims that regiments are segregated by designation (Infantry, Armored Artillery etc.), so where are the tanks in my infantry regiment coming from, and the infantry in my tank regiments. My solution to this has always been that my army is the result of several regiments working together (Heavy Infantry, Seige, and Armored). This has alwayse felt kind of lame to me though, every time i add something new i have to find a new way to work it in (originally my Heavy Infantry didn't have chimeras, now the Assault Brigade does).

The Taros Campaign book lists the order of battle for a Tallarn Regiment (17th i think, the book is all the way upstairs), and this includes infantry, armor, artillery and the like. Seige Infantry Regiments also definitely include their own detachments of Artillery, and in some cases armor.

How do you guys explain your use of tanks and artillery, or infantry if you play and armored regiment? Is my "battlegroup" system more common than i assume, or does everyone else just consider themselves to be one of the rare combined arms regiments.
beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2009, 00:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: The Guard and Combined Arms

My 'Regiment' has 'Companies' of everything I need. Including Baneblades and other Super Heavys.

Imaaaaginaation! ;D
Originally Posted by Shaman from DakkaDakka
Hoping for balance with GW is like hoping to live while playing Russian roulette with a glock.
SteelPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2009, 00:10   #3 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Attachments from the Air/Armor/Artillery Companies in the same regiment
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2009, 02:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to LoTide Send a message via MSN to LoTide

I actually paint my armor a different scheme from my infantry, in order to show that both are from different regiments all together, but are working in tandem. Besides, 40k battles are usually representations of a much larger conflict, or just a square taken out of that true battle. So you could easily say that it's two entire regiments, one armored and one infantry fighting together as they do in real life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero - 55 BC
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
LoTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2009, 03:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to AfrikA Send a message via Yahoo to AfrikA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky
I actually paint my armor a different scheme from my infantry, in order to show that both are from different regiments all together, but are working in tandem. Besides, 40k battles are usually representations of a much larger conflict, or just a square taken out of that true battle. So you could easily say that it's two entire regiments, one armored and one infantry fighting together as they do in real life.
Great description of the scale that 40k operates in. Since there is stuff happening off table that has no impact on the game. It also helps make flanking units, reserve units and fleeing units make sense.

It's like taking Epic 40k and zooming way in until individual infantry units start to matter. The tanks on the table might just be the one or two tanks on the flank of a whole lot of tanks.

"This plan is so perfect it's retarded."
AfrikA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2009, 03:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky
This is what i do too, my army has always been a part of an Army Corps including a Heavy Infantry, and Siege and a Heavy Armored Regiment. I was just interested in seeing what others felt. I always feel sorta bad just tacking on additional regiments when i get new units that don't fit with the original set up. But i suppose it not something i need to worry about to much.
beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote