Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Relationships
Old 31 Oct 2009, 23:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to pettsy
Default Relationships

Hey,

I've just started writing a story for my Essexians that revolves around my Commissar and his group of Cadets. I had a weird idea (no idea where it came from, probably from the fact I was thinking about a special girl ). I want one of the Cadets to have a secret relationship with one of the female troopers but before I start that I have a few questions:

1. How hard would it be to hide a relationship in the Guard? I was thinking very difficult/impossible.
2. Would it create any problems between the Cadet and the trooper in question?
3. What would happen to either of them if the relationship was discovered?
4. Has this kind of thing been done before?

Thanks in advance,
~Pettsy~

"It matters not what form my enemy takes, I will slay him all the same" - Grand Master Daedelus

We are ever-living, our spirit is immortal, and long after the last of our people crumbles to dust we shall still live on. For we are the Asur and for as long as there is light then we will shine!
pettsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2009, 00:09   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae
Default Re: Relationships

I'd imagine it would be about as difficult to hide having a relationship with a coworker in the IG as it would be in today's Military services. That is, very very difficult.

I can't speak for how the Imperial Guard would treat it... but I can speak for how it would be treated today.

First off, Officer and Enlisted relationships are highly, highly frowned upon. Really, any relationships within the workplace are frowned upon, simply because it could cause distractions, especially when the members need to remain focused. Such as when you're in the middle of a war zone. A unit is composed of individuals, yes, but it needs to perform as a single entity. Any sort of favoritism (such as an officer having a relationship with one of the troopers) can inhibit the ability of the unit to work the way it should.

If the relationship were to be discovered, one of them would be reassigned to a different duty station. Most probably the enlisted member. Again, this is what would be done in today's military. I obviously can't speak for what your Army's High Command would do. I suspect it would depend on how zealous they are. If they act more like normal people, they would simply be reassigned. But if they act like zealous lunatics, you could end up with execution, worst case scenario.

Hope that helps a little, anyway.
Praying Mantidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2009, 01:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Guants Ghosts has several relationships. Criid and Caffran for instance, that are permissable.

But the ghosts are a relaxed regiment.
Old 02 Nov 2009, 15:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to pettsy

Thanks guys, really big help. Already got the scenario where they first start falling for each other worked out. Now to expand on it.

The colonel of my army is extremely zealous but would the Commissariat deal with it rather than the colonel himself? And if it was discovered a Cadet was having a relationship with a trooper would they execute him? Or maybe be more leaniant and stop his commissar training?

~Pettsy~

"It matters not what form my enemy takes, I will slay him all the same" - Grand Master Daedelus

We are ever-living, our spirit is immortal, and long after the last of our people crumbles to dust we shall still live on. For we are the Asur and for as long as there is light then we will shine!
pettsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2009, 22:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

in the book Legion Co's and NCO's seem to shag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jais
I need it! I need it! I need it! anton's vagina that is...
Quote:
"We're not just gonna shoot the bastards. We're going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the threads of our tanks, we're going to murder those bastards by the bushes!!"
Savon Saal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2009, 22:34   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Many of the Ciaphus Cain books deal with this to one extent or another.

It seems to be fairly common among mixed-gender regiments, although there are professional barriers between enlisted and officers, and between individuals with too much separation in rank within each group.

If an officer cadet had a relationship with one of his subordinates and it was discovered, that is definitely an issue for the Commissariat. But my guess is that it would result in a minor punishment for the cadet (loss of pay or confinement to quarters) and reassignment to somewhere else in the regiment. For a Commissar cadet, it might mean being reassigned to a different regiment. I think All-father pretty much covered it.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Nov 2009, 13:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to AfrikA Send a message via Yahoo to AfrikA

Creed and Kell don't seem to be running into any problems with their relationship... :shifty:

With the lack of female models around thinking about relationships in the average player's IG Army is just scary.

"This plan is so perfect it's retarded."
AfrikA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Nov 2009, 15:42   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfrikA
Creed and Kell don't seem to be running into any problems with their relationship... :shifty:
Lmao. Just had to laugh at that ;D.

Anyway, in most cases, relationships are dealt with by the Commissars assigned to the regiment. If the Commissar himself/herself was having the relationship, then a second Commissar would be given the duty to assign punishments and appropriate sanctions.
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Nov 2009, 17:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettsy
The colonel of my army is extremely zealous but would the Commissariat deal with it rather than the colonel himself? And if it was discovered a Cadet was having a relationship with a trooper would they execute him? Or maybe be more leaniant and stop his commissar training?
Commissar misconduct is dealt with by a panel of other commissars who sit in judgment of the accused. It happens in one of the Cain novels though that is for full commissars. No idea how they'd handle cadets. Probably it would be up to the supervising commissar. The cadet's fate most certainly wouldn't be in the hands of the Colonel.

The trooper he is involved with, on the other hand, would be at the mercy of the Colonel. Might make for an interesting plot hook that he is let off with a slap on the wrist and she is sentenced to flogging or worse.
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2009, 01:23   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

It might make for an interesting plot hook, yes, but it happens all the time. I can name at least three times at my old unit alone where a Junior Officer got away with something, and the Enlisted guy got all the flak for it.
Praying Mantidae is offline   Reply With Quote